feature requests

WHAT SHOULD WE CALL THIS AGE OF COMICS? (Comic Book Forums)

• WHAT SHOULD WE CALL THIS AGE OF COMICS?

Author Discussion
  • Posted: October 14, 2016 8:40:50 am
  • This was being discussed in another thread/forum and I thought when I c ame across this some of you may find it interesting...this is from 2012.

I doubt if anyone is nominating the “Golden Age”!

I have argued, twice before, that we’re living in the Golden Age of comics, simply because of the sheer diversity of the product and the accessibility of it all (those links are old; the second one has those formatting problems that older entries on this blog still have). In that first link, I argue for new classifications of the eras of comics, but I’m not going to do that here. I’m just curious if we’re able to move beyond the “Iron Age” of comics yet, and I’d like your help!

So let’s break down the generally accepted “ages” of comics before moving on to speculation:

Read more - http://www.cbr.com/what-should-we-call-this-age-of-comics/
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: October 14, 2016 9:48:13 am
  • Canuck said:
    This was being discussed in another thread/forum and I thought when I c ame across this some of you may find it interesting...this is from 2012.

I doubt if anyone is nominating the “Golden Age”!

I have argued, twice before, that we’re living in the Golden Age of comics, simply because of the sheer diversity of the product and the accessibility of it all (those links are old; the second one has those formatting problems that older entries on this blog still have). In that first link, I argue for new classifications of the eras of comics, but I’m not going to do that here. I’m just curious if we’re able to move beyond the “Iron Age” of comics yet, and I’d like your help!

So let’s break down the generally accepted “ages” of comics before moving on to speculation:

Read more - " rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://www.cbr.com/what-should-we-call-this-age-of-comics/
    Shocked

The article was good, but he extended the bronze age to 1986, which doesn't sound right.
    One thing they should do is get away from precious metal names except for Golden and silver. I like the term baroque.
    Visit Still Only 35 Cents at https://www.ebay.com/usr/stillonly35cents!
    Follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/stillonly35cents/
  • Posted: October 14, 2016 9:57:58 am
  • My that website is horribly full of ads. My ad blocker blocked 52 ads on that page alone and I'm still struggling to scroll through. Anyways getting back to the topic … I must be old school because I still see the “modern age” of comics as being anything from 1990-current. If we must label the age we are in now we should probably reflect what the art world has done and step into post-modernism and then in 10-15 years we can call it the post-postmodern age.
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: October 14, 2016 10:28:17 am
  • I don't think we should label them for labeling sake. It's for easy identification.
    A book from 1995 would have a lot of extreme armor/guns/claws. A book from 2004 would have superheroes being fed up and taking over the world to save it.
    Just read your back issues. They can't be lumped together.
    Visit Still Only 35 Cents at https://www.ebay.com/usr/stillonly35cents!
    Follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/stillonly35cents/
  • Posted: October 15, 2016 2:45:09 am
  • Tin. Or maybe Broccoli.
    What about Millennial?
    Tenzil
  • Posted: October 15, 2016 3:24:10 am
  • How about "The Final Age". Just like the decline of magazines and newspapers, actual paper comic books will probably not exist in the mainstream outside of internet versions within the next 20 or so years. We are the last generation of comic book collectors who will be able to buy an actual, physical copy of a new comic book.

Last edited October 15, 2016 3:24:44 am
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: October 16, 2016 6:35:12 pm
  • Golden 1938-1955

Silver 1956-1969

Bronze 1970-1983

Copper 1984-1991

Chromium 1992-2004

Modern 2005~
  • Posted: October 16, 2016 6:46:16 pm
  • Golden, Silver, Bronze, Copper, Aluminium... Nickle? Tin!
  • Posted: October 16, 2016 9:26:04 pm
  • I like Chromium because of the gimmick covers of the 90's then modern 2004 - 2011 (DC 1st reboot) and final 2011 - present...that's my 2 cents worthEh?

Last edited October 16, 2016 9:27:55 pm
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: October 17, 2016 2:10:45 am
  • logerine said:
    Golden 1938-1955 Silver 1956-1969 Bronze 1970-1983 Copper 1984-1991 Chromium 1992-2004 Modern 2005~

Canuck said:
    I like Chromium because of the gimmick covers of the 90's then modern 2004 - 2011 (DC 1st reboot) and final 2011 - present...that's my 2 cents worthEh?

I was actually thinking the same thing as I was scrolling down and then I noticed Logerine's post. I agree with the idea of the "Chromium Age" . . . it just fits so well. I also agree though, that LOTS of things happened in that era as has happened in all the other eras, but the surge in special, gimicky covers is what stands out to me about that specific era of comic books.

The interesting thing about defining these "eras" is that they are generally defined afterwards, which means that the modern era is the modern era until it is defined in terms of whatever set it aside from other periods when one looks back over it's span.

Atom mentioned the "Final Age" for the "Current / Modern Age", but that sounds a bit final. I must admit though that the emergence and steady increase of on-line comics may well be a defining moment of our current age, which may in time be known as the "Silicone / Digital Age"?

Time will tell about that, but I'm definitely on-board with the Chromium Age . . . where do we vote?! LOL
  • Posted: October 19, 2016 4:48:05 pm
  • logerine said:
    Golden 1938-1955

Silver 1956-1969

Bronze 1970-1983

Copper 1984-1991

Chromium 1992-2004

Modern 2005
    said:

This is the way it is now, but what do you think about adjusting the era`s time frames?

say: Golden 1938-1956

Silver 1957-1971

Bronze 1972-1985

Copper 1986-1994

Chromium 1995-2005

Modern 2006-2016
    This age, it should be the Paper Age of comics

(2016 - ) paper age?

What do you think?
  • Posted: October 24, 2016 12:28:46 pm
  • GenesisDay07 said:
    Time will tell about that, but I'm definitely on-board with the Chromium Age . . . where do we vote?! LOL

I also like chromium age and mostly think of it this way now. Its a nod to the era and shows the community played a role in naming as opposed to just going with the next metal. If we had to go with a cheaper metal then I think tin sounds appropriate. Sounds cheap. Other names I've heard that I like is "The Dark Ages" and "The Renaissance Age"

Another debatable point is when this age ends/where the modern age begins. I'm sort of Marvel biased as its pretty much most of what I read and collect so I'd have to say its shortly after Marvel's bankruptcy where they put the story back to what was important over the art and special covers. Marvel Knights was introduced in 1998 and the Ultimate universe in 2001. So Id say 1991 to 2000 is the Chromium Age. Anyone else on what they think defines the ending of the chromium age?
  • Posted: October 26, 2016 2:02:52 pm
  • I think it should be called the "Variant Age" with every book having several covers
  • Posted: October 26, 2016 2:32:02 pm
  • I think that our modern age would probably be the variant age... but I like that.
  • Posted: October 26, 2016 10:51:09 pm
  • I'm afraid the extinction of paper comics is a fact, unfortunately.
    1971-1984 Bronze Age
    1984-1991 Copper Age
    1992-2004 Chromium Age
    2004-2011 Variant Age
    2011- ? Current Age

Last edited October 26, 2016 11:00:17 pm
  • Posted: October 27, 2016 12:16:27 pm
  • When I started collecting almost 35 years ago ASM #1 was considered a silver age back then.
    So, Another question I have is:
    How old does a book have to be before it falls into another age bracket? Ex: When is a silver old enough to become a golden age etc?
  • Posted: October 27, 2016 4:01:10 pm
  • i believe it is still silver age (ASM #1)...i dont think comics change eras...pretty sure they stay in their labeled category, new ones are just added

i love the idea of calling it chromium age and also variant age, though i feel they will stick to metals so maybe aluminum and tin for each of those respective ages?

Last edited October 27, 2016 4:03:32 pm
    "How to destroy a man... Grant him his heart's desire." --Victor Von Doom
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Latest Additions
    Secret Wars #1 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... Cameo Emperor Doom!!
    Secret Wars #2 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... 1st full app of Emperor Doom!!!
  • Posted: October 27, 2016 4:56:15 pm
  • I guess I was basing it on for example, if you buy a new car it's modern and when it gets older it's a classic, then an antique. It changes eras. Just wondering why the comics wouldn't considered to do the same.

Chromium's cool with me
  • Posted: October 27, 2016 5:41:10 pm
  • i actually wondered that myself til i realized that for comics it doesnt change...to me it makes things easier for us as collectors lol
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Latest Additions
  • Posted: October 27, 2016 11:22:03 pm
  • Easier, eh? Not everyone agrees on the exact timing, sounds kind of difficult to me.
  • Posted: October 29, 2016 7:07:14 am
  • Well when something is consistent its easier in my opinion...im guessing ur saying fluctuating is easier?? If so please explain how its easier then consistent...
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Latest Additions
  • Posted: October 30, 2016 12:59:30 pm
  • I'm just confused why it's not written in stone yet. People still argue when the Silver age starts and stops. No surprise we can't figure out anything after 1985.
  • Posted: October 30, 2016 2:16:42 pm
  • Oh...i misunderstood what u were saying at first...i agree with u there
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Latest Additions
  • Posted: November 27, 2016 5:46:51 pm
  • how about the cover age? it seems most people refer to a comic books as a covers.Very Happy

Think
  • Posted: November 27, 2016 6:20:28 pm
  • Tenzil said:
    Tin. Or maybe Broccoli.
    What about Millennial?

I like the Broccoli era Applause Laughing
  • Posted: January 10, 2017 9:19:54 pm
  • Modern comics should be named after fabric/clothes/cloth.

I would call modern comics the Garbage of comics. No need to put a space between Garb & Age.
  • Posted: January 13, 2017 3:48:11 pm
  • Anything after 1969 is modern age. If it has a 0.15 cover, it's modern

Laughing
  • Posted: January 15, 2017 1:38:52 am
  • fennrx said:
    Anything after 1969 is modern age. If it has a 0.15 cover, it's modern

Laughing

Definitely!
29 posts • Page 1 of 3
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 190 days, 18 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • University Press of Mississippi's Indigenous Comics and Graphic Novels: Studies in Genre Soft Cover # 1
  • Oni Press's Jill And The Killers Issue # 3b
  • Image Comics's Killadelphia Issue # 34b
  • DC Comics's Power Girl Issue # 7d