feature requests

What kind of collector are you? (Comic Book Forums)

• What kind of collector are you?

Author Discussion
  • Posted: July 25, 2016 7:30:14 pm
  • Hey everyone,
    I was just on comixology a little earlier, checking out the upcoming releases, and I had a thought. For those of you that have been on that site, you notice how on the right-hand-side, it has the Top 10 books that are being 'pulled,' in-a-sense giving you an idea of the top books for that week. And of course, you can go further and see through years past what all the top selling(most popular) books are. Anyway, from a 'collector's' point-of-view, there you go..you know which books to buy, with the hopes to eventually make your money back(and then some), if you so choose to.
    My question is..do you follow something like that and buy the 'hot' books, or do you just buy what you enjoy, or a little bit of both??
    When I first started collecting in the late 80's I bought what I liked, but it wasn't very long until I started buying books that I thought were going to be hot, and like..every #1 issue that came out. Of course, that led into the 90's and we all know what eventually happened. It was after that that I stopped collecting, and actually just started back up again in the last year. I told myself that I was only going to buy what I enjoyed. After plugging my collection into this site and getting a rough idea what my collection is worth..I find myself starting to fall back on old ways. There's books out there that I'm not terribly interested in, but I'm tempted to buy cause what it can do for me in the future. I mean, there's no rule that you're only supposed to buy books that you like, so..can it be wrong to buy them with the idea to maybe make a buck from them in the future? The only thing is, we don't want another industry crash like in the 90's.
    I apologize if this topic has been debated already, and if it has..by all means..delete this thread.
    Thanks for reading my ramble everyone, take care!!
    K
  • Posted: July 25, 2016 8:37:42 pm
  • I only buy what I like to read.
    I pick up the odd title if I like a character or the creative team and if I like it I will continue to pick it up.

Last edited July 25, 2016 9:10:05 pm
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: July 25, 2016 9:50:49 pm
  • Speaking of liking a creative team..I've been on-the-fence with the newer Suicide Squads(although the 80's version is classic to me). I noticed yesterday that Jim Lee will be pencilling a new SS(that makes how many new SS's?), and I'm onboard for that!! I hope I'm not disappointed.
  • Posted: July 25, 2016 11:57:03 pm
  • It's funny you mention All-Star Batman, cause that's another one I want to give a try. I'm honestly not familiar with Scott Snyder but John Romita Jr is worth checking out. And the fact that Two-face is the first villian in the series(my favorite Batman villian)..I can't say no.
    The only thing that kind of annoys me is..ANOTHER new Bat-book(or X-men, or Spider-Man). But whatever..it is what it is.
    It does however, make me want to go back and get all of the Legends of the Dark Night, and Shadow of the Bat books. It'd cost a bit of money but, I'm sure it would be worth it.
    Thanks for the links, btw!! Funny how he likes the All-Star Batman title, and I personally don't. To-MAY-toe, to-MA-to..I just hope it's a good book!!
  • Posted: July 26, 2016 3:18:51 am
  • I tend to only collect older comics, or if there is a book that has a character I follow, (Lobo!!!). But mainly horror and Gold Key comics and stuff I enjoy reading like Wytches.
    "In times like these it's good to remember that there has always been times like these..."
  • Posted: July 26, 2016 9:18:56 am
  • This is always an interesting thread and is worth "drenching up" now and again Smile

It's very easy to get caught up in trying to get hold of the next best thing . . . the problem is that the "next best thing" is something that catches the market unawares and by the time one becomes aware of it, prices have already started climbing.

I try not to get caught up in it (although truth be told, my budget such as it is, doesn't really allow me to either!)

I also try to focus on older stuff nowadays and buy stuff that I'll enjoy. There is nothing worse than paying good money for a comic you don't really care for with the expectation that it'll increase in value just to discover that a few years down the line it's worth less than you paid for it to begin with.

Stick to what you love . . . that's a satisfaction that money can't buy.
  • Posted: July 26, 2016 9:30:15 am
  • In my younger days I collected to read about my favorite characters which started out with Spider-Man, Superman, and Silver Surfer. As I grew older and more experienced in comic books I began to collect creative teams or certain writers/artists because I already knew I enjoyed what they brought to the table. It was mainly the art though and then I got into the writing... Now as I am getting older I am more drawn to a strong story and consistency. I like to read comics where I feel the artists/writers/editors actually care about what they are doing and they respect the legacy of the characters.

My collection sometimes takes a break from the modern stories, especially if I do not agree with what is happening and I start to pick up back issues from the 70s, 80s, and 90s. I have never collected just because something is "hot" or popular at the time. And I try never to buy anything that I don't plan to read. There are way too many good comics out there that may not have been hot sellers in their day and I love to discover or rediscover them.

Last edited July 26, 2016 9:32:12 am
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: July 26, 2016 2:32:28 pm
  • Like so many others on here, I started by collecting what I liked, then added titles I thought would be hot. That led into my house being taken over by too many boxes of comics. Eventually I went cold turkey, and then started a blog on comic book nostalgia last fall. Since that time, I’ve been buying some older comics from time to time, creating theme weeks for my blog, like old TV show comics, Saturday morning cartoon comics, westerns, etc. Also, I try to pick up titles from the Seventies to help fill in some collecting gaps. Now it’s all about fun and no stress. I love reading the old comics and don’t feel like I’m missing out.
    See my blog, Cool Comics in My Collection, at https://edgosney.com/
9 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 252 days, 5 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Dark Horse Comics's Helen of Wyndhorn Issue # 2c
  • IDW Publishing's Star Trek Issue # 19
  • IDW Publishing's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Untold Destiny of the Foot Clan Issue # 2
  • Ghost Ship's World's End Harem Soft Cover # 17