feature requests

Captain America is an agent of....(SPOILERS) (Comic Book Forums)

• Captain America is an agent of....(SPOILERS)

Author Discussion
  • Posted: May 25, 2016 2:21:37 pm
  • http://time.com/4347224/captain-america-hydra-agent-marvel-tom-brevoort/

Marvel Editor Explains How Captain America Was a Hydra Agent All Along

In a shocking twist, Steve Rogers always has been and will continue to be a member of the evil group

Sure, he wears red white and blue on the outside, but on the inside? It turns out Steve Rogers, a.k.a. Captain America, supports the evil, former organization, Hydra.

Marvel comics introduced the shocking twist Wednesday morning when Captain America: Steve Rogers #1 went on sale — and it turns out there have been hints that this was coming for a long time. TIME spoke with Marvel executive editor Tom Brevoort about the decision, the clues and why Hydra’s rhetoric sounds an awful lot like that of a certain presidential candidate.

TIME: How did Marvel decide to make Steve Rogers a secret Hydra operative?

Tom Brevoort: Nick Spencer, who is the writer of the series, pitched us the story as part and parcel of restoring Steve to his youth and vigor. In the comics, he’s been old for awhile. The super soldier serum that was keeping him young had been broken down, so for the 75th anniversary, Nick had this notion that we were going to restore him. But then we went into this other story about Hydra, and this is only the tip of the iceberg.

If readers go back and look at older comics, will this hold up?

It will. Issue 2 kind of winds the clock back a little bit and lays out exactly how and why things are the way they are. And it lays out a roadmap for where things are headed in the future. At this point, I don’t want to say too much definitively because I want people to read the comic books. But people will be able to connect the dots and follow the trail of breadcrumbs.

How long has this been in the works?

Almost since the beginning of when Nick started writing the Captain America titles, which would have been the end of 2014. So right around there the conversations first started about this. It’s been in the works for more than a year.

What does this mean for the Marvel Universe?

It means on the most fundamental level that the most trusted hero in the Marvel universe is now secretly a deep-cover Hydra operative, a fact that’s really only known to the readers and to him. That makes every interaction he has with anyone take on a second layer, a second meaning.

In the comic the Red Skull of Hydra talks about “criminal trespassers” who “make a mockery” of America’s borders and calls the refugees in Germany an “invading army” bringing “fanatical beliefs and crime” to Europe. Obviously, this hate speech is nothing new for the organization, but it sounds like rhetoric we’ve been hearing this election. Is that purposeful?

We try to write comics in 2016 that are about the world and the zeitgeist of 2016, particularly in Captain America. Nick Spencer, the writer, is very politically active. He’s a Capitol Hill head and following this election very closely. So we can talk about political issues in a metaphoric way. That’s what gives our stories weight and meat to them. Any parallels you have seen to situations real or imagined, living or dead, is probably intentional but metaphorically not literally.

What are we supposed to think about the fact that someone literally named Captain America now supports these beliefs?

Again, I don’t want to say anything too definitively because we’re laying out the story. But we want to push that button. There should be a feeling of horror or unsettledness at the idea that somebody like this can secretly be part of this organization. There are perfectly normal people in the world who you would interact with on a professional level or personal level, and they seem like the salt of the earth but then it turns out they have some horrible secret — whether it’s that they don’t like a certain group of people or have bodies buried in their basement.

You should feel uneasy about the fact that everything you know and love about Steve Rogers can be upended.

To ask the blunt question, is this a gimmick?

Every single month whether it’s a run of the mill month for Captain America or an extraordinary month, our job is to put him in situations that place that character under some degree of pressure and see how he reacts to that. And hopefully our readers are surprised, shocked, elated, see something of themselves, learn something about themselves. To say it’s a gimmick implies that it’s done heedlessly just to shock. The proof is always going to be in the execution. So you’ll have to read the rest of the story to see.

But I certainly believe it’s not a gimmick. It’s a story that we spent a long time on, that’s compelling and captures the zeitgeist of the world. It will make readers wonder how the heck we’ll get out of this.

Sounds like a gimmick to me. Rolling Eyes
  • Posted: May 26, 2016 10:32:17 am
  • Terrible idea. Just awful. Looking forward to the next reboot where this gets erased from continuity already.
  • Posted: May 26, 2016 2:28:45 pm
  • It's kind of been done before...

I just look at it as a sorta something new, not sure how long I'll read it but for now I'll see where it goes.
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: May 26, 2016 3:52:59 pm
  • Another weak Marvel move. What's next? I'm sort of sitting back eating popcorn and watching Marvel completely destroy their universe.
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: May 26, 2016 4:16:02 pm
  • I can't wait till they reveal him as a Canadian. That will everyone off too Smile
  • Posted: May 27, 2016 5:28:47 pm
  • i like the idea personally. i dont think it was a gimmick as there have been plenty of spoilers even throughout the years to back such a story. granted its captain america, but who better to have such a twist. we know they will reel him back in one day, so i say lets see how its presented before instantly saying "I dont like it" could be a double agent, could be a fake cap, could be many possiblities. Look they killed him once in a great story line (Civil war (Comic not Movie)), ppl preached they'd hate that too but it was actually a good read. change it up...let us see a bad cap in a story line. not every story line needs him to be the boy scout-esque all american kid next door.

the reason i like this move is because cap being just an overly strong non flying dude with a shield is hard to write and present a great story that doesnt include a marriage or death. This may be the start of something quite different (In one earth reality)

my glass is half-full on this one.

Last edited May 27, 2016 5:31:38 pm
    "How to destroy a man... Grant him his heart's desire." --Victor Von Doom
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Latest Additions
    Secret Wars #1 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... Cameo Emperor Doom!!
    Secret Wars #2 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... 1st full app of Emperor Doom!!!
  • Posted: May 27, 2016 5:53:08 pm
  • The thing is Nick Spencer has said this is Steve Rogers - not a clone, LMD, not brainwashed or mind controlled. Captain America has always been a sleeper agent for Hydra. If anybody seriously thinks this will last they are crazy. So all it is is a cheap gimmick, nothing more.
  • Posted: May 27, 2016 6:24:04 pm
  • Well the whole industry is built on cheap gimmicks so why not one more.
    If it sells (and it will) flippers will be clamoring for the 1st issues so they can make a quick $$ on ebay.
    People need to take a chill pill and just read the issues and see where it goes and stop being critical because the character isn't the cookie cutter one they remember. Not all changes are bad.
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: May 27, 2016 6:52:43 pm
  • Just another slap in the face for older readers who have been following Cap for decades. Marvel what are you doing? I understand wanting to sell your comic books, but come on! Colour me unimpressed and I will no longer buy Captain America comics again (well, maybe back issues).
27 posts • Page 1 of 3
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 243 days, 20 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Marvel Comics's Avengers: Twilight Issue # 5f
  • DC Comics's Batman / Superman: World's Finest Issue # 26d
  • Marvel Comics's Carnage Issue # 6
  • DC Comics's Catwoman Issue # 64syndicate-c