feature requests

Hidden Treasure Find (Comic Book Forums)

• Hidden Treasure Find

Author Discussion
  • Posted: January 2, 2016 11:41:37 am
  • To me, this is like a letter out of some Penthouse magazine forum. A friend of mine's father is in an assisted living facility. She's been asking me for a few weeks when she had time, to go with her out to her dad's storage unit to see if any of his comics might be worth anything to help pay for his care. Of course I agreed to help out. Well last night was the day. We went out to Oviedo where the unit was and she opened the door. There were 8 long boxes and maybe 6 short ones. What a treasure her dad had. All properly bagged and boarded. Most in pretty good shape, a handful without covers. On our way out, I grabbed one of the short boxes so today I could set her up a new list on CBR and we could get a feel of what she had. Now I haven't opened anything to attempt to grade the books, but the 77 books in the one short box was worth (CBR default 9.4 grade) more than $9,000. There were TWO issues of Amazing Spider-man 129, plus many double digit issues. It felt amazing to hold a book that is not only a piece of history (rather than just seeing them online or under glass at my LCS), but was worth more than a month's rent of my home. I hope together we can sell most of the collection to help pay for her dad's care, maybe hold some aside for her son once he's a little older, and greedily in the back of my mind, possibly receive a few gems for myself as commission.

Comic book story fin-

Last edited January 2, 2016 11:43:27 am
  • Posted: January 2, 2016 2:21:10 pm
  • Way to help out. These are the stories that any true collector loves to read. Let us know when everything in input and what hidden gems he has.
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

Hunting for (mainly reprints/variants) - Please help! - See My Profile
  • Posted: January 3, 2016 3:25:02 am
  • A real feel good story. Hopefully you find many treasures in there and it really benefits him and his family. Good on you for taking this on! Very Happy
    Tenzil
  • Posted: January 3, 2016 5:17:40 pm
  • One of my co-workers' Dad's has an amazing collection but I'm not sure what condition they are in. He is in a home now so I don't know if he is willing to sell them. I gave him some tips a while ago about grading and selling but last I heard they were in a storage locker somewhere so I hope that they aren't ruined. I would love to help him sell it and maybe if there are any double's of key issues that doesn't affect the runs I can have as payment for helping him......that's my dream, whether it becomes a reality someday I'm not sure. Maybe the collection is willed to someone in the family or something. I don't know. I'm kindof afraid to ask about it and it isn't an easy subject to bring up.
  • Posted: January 3, 2016 5:34:29 pm
  • I am still secretly hoping that Spa-fon will bequeath his collection to me since his family wants nothing to do with it. Twisted Evil
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

• Posted: January 3, 2016 6:15:29 pm
  • I don't feel as bad as saying 'greedily' in my original post since as we were coming back from that part of Florida, I got a $200 ticket because they have nothing better to do out in the sticks. Next time we head out there to swap out boxes (besides following the rules of the road), I know there are also copies of first appearances of Black Cat, the Prowler, Deadpool (2) and an old horseback riding Ghost Rider #1.

When I told her the value of the original box, I reminded her that these were values at near mint. Expect about maybe half when selling, and to possibly consider CGC'ing some of the key issues.
  • Posted: January 4, 2016 11:02:30 am
  • dough boy said:
    I am still secretly hoping that Spa-fon will bequeath his collection to me since his family wants nothing to do with it. Twisted Evil

LOL. I appreciate your friendship and hard work over the years but not quite that much. As you know, each of my 6 grandkids have a long box of first issues (mainly 70's up) set aside for their 21st birthday. And I am in the process of listing and selling parts of my collection currently.

However, I would consider a gift if you were to designate a couple items that you would like and I will consider it. Wink
    The joy is in the journey, not just the destination.
  • Posted: January 4, 2016 12:43:14 pm
  • Oh I am just teasing. I have heard of numerous people who collect comics, yet when they die their family doesn't appreciate them and just sells them for pennies on the dollar.

• Posted: January 7, 2016 9:38:29 am
  • dough boy said:
    Way to help out. These are the stories that any true collector loves to read. Let us know when everything in input and what hidden gems he has.

So... She brought over two more short boxes the other night. I was cataloging them yesterday and came across an Aquaman #1 from 1962. 9.4 = $2400. Unfortunately, it is cover-less. Crying or Very sad
  • Posted: January 8, 2016 2:08:29 am
  • Ouch! That alone brings it down to about 0.5. Hopefully you can find some other treasures more intact!
    Tenzil
11 posts • Page 1 of 2
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 252 days, 5 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • AccessData Comics's Clash of the Super Powers! Issue nn
  • Keenspot Entertainment's Spellweaver Issue # 3b
  • Ablaze Media's The Agent Issue # 5b
  • Marvel Comics's The Micronauts: The Original Marvel Years - Omnibus Hard Cover # 1b