feature requests

Why does the new ASM series... (Comic Book Forums)

• Why does the new ASM series...

Author Discussion
  • Posted: December 27, 2015 7:05:32 pm
  • 1) release a new issue every 2 weeks?
    2) have such bad writing?

Spidey and iron man have always been my favorites. I don't care for the iron man artwork but the story so far seems to be much better. ASM is boring. And zodiac? Zzzzzzz

• Posted: December 27, 2015 7:34:47 pm
  • Well...
    1. Probably to rake in as much $$ as they can
    2. I think it as to do with making PP a successful playboy after 50 plus years of a hard luck loser....it just doesn't fit/work for the character that we've known for so long.

Last edited December 29, 2015 12:10:14 am
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: December 27, 2015 9:19:53 pm
  • The simplest answer is usually the correct one
  • Posted: December 27, 2015 9:50:35 pm
  • I might be in a minority but I cannot wait until Dan Slott leaves Spider-Man to another writer.
  • Posted: December 28, 2015 1:05:05 pm
  • So far I'm not impressed. It is different but not exciting.
    I don't think at this point it'll matter who is writing. It's gotta be hard to write exciting stories for a 50 years+ character to keep everyone's interest.
  • Posted: December 29, 2015 4:00:03 am
  • Sorry, tangle, but I completely disagree with your take. I believe that any talented writer willing to put in the time and effort can tell interesting tales about nearly any character, let alone an iconic one. I'm not currently reading the book so I won't comment on the current writing, but if it not up to snuff that is on the writer/editor, not the characters they are writing.
    Tenzil
  • Posted: December 29, 2015 7:24:56 am
  • I understand your take Tenzil. I never said it couldn't be done, I'm just saying it would be difficult to revamp excitement in the direction it's going in currently. It will take an extremely talented writer to get it back on track. I hope there's someone out there that can. Being a guy down on his luck and then turning him into a millionaire is not the answer.
  • Posted: December 29, 2015 10:49:22 am
  • It certainly can be done. DC does it routinely. I started reading the new 52 batman at issue 40 because I randomly bought the issue at a Barnes & noble. And the new batman Europa mini series is pretty good. My wife really enjoys the new 52 Wonder Woman.

Ancient characters being done right. I like direction iron man has taken with dr doom wearing a power suit insteD of armor. There's humor and suspense. 5 issues into ASM and I'm wondering if I should keep buying it solely for the sake of amassing a large run.
  • Posted: December 30, 2015 4:00:43 am
  • @tangledwebs: Agreed! Very Happy
    Tenzil
  • Posted: December 30, 2015 8:08:50 pm
  • junobeach said:
    I might be in a minority but I cannot wait until Dan Slott leaves Spider-Man to another writer.

As much of a fan of Slott I am.... I'm starting to agree with this. He has told some pretty awesome stories but I think it's time for someone new. For now I'll continue to read as I do enjoy his writing and I don't want to break my run of course!! lol Honestly when Superior ended that would have been a perfect point for a new writer. Here's a second relaunch and Marvel still didn't replace him as writer....he must have something impressive down the pipeline?
  • Posted: January 8, 2016 3:40:12 pm
  • I miss the simpler stories and the old Peter. I'm also not a fan of the super gadget Spider-man. It's like reading Iron Man and I don't buy that comic, so I don't want it in my Spider-man comic.
  • Posted: January 8, 2016 3:47:51 pm
  • I agree with you Abyss. Check out the new Spidey series. It's like what you're describing IMO.
  • Posted: January 8, 2016 5:15:40 pm
  • tangledwebs said:
    I agree with you Abyss. Check out the new Spidey series. It's like what you're describing IMO.

Is that the all ages one? I've cut back on my comics budget, and I collect Spider-man more than read. Since I never got those all ages ones before I passed on this one.

I only get Spider-man and Batman, and some Star Wars. Beyond that I'm done with Marvel and DC. I'm kind of tired of the endless superhero stories and all the dumb reboot-of-the-months.
  • Posted: January 8, 2016 10:02:21 pm
  • I'm not minding the new direction. I'll give it some time. I do agree though that the problem is they seem to think every hero should be fighting world ending problems now, and i do miss spiderman as the more down to earth personal struggles.

Honestly though, im not too worried about him being a multimillionaire. Every time things go well for him, its just set up for the eventual fall. Thats what happened a couple of years ago prior to superior spiderman.
  • Posted: January 10, 2016 8:16:55 am
  • I've enjoyed Slotts ASM run for the most part... That being said I think it's time for some new blood to take the character in a different direction

• Posted: January 10, 2016 8:54:15 pm
  • I picked up spidey #2 for my son and gave it a quick read. It is infinitely better than the ASM series. It's a throwback to the Spider-Man of the 60s.....slugging it out with flint marko while making bad one liners. It even had a LOTR reference. Me thinks I might make the switch.
  • Posted: January 11, 2016 12:10:53 am
  • Spidey has great Nick Bradshaw art in it too. Reminds me of Arthur Adams.
  • Posted: January 11, 2016 7:40:45 am
  • Abysslord said:
    tangledwebs said:
    I agree with you Abyss. Check out the new Spidey series. It's like what you're describing IMO.

Is that the all ages one? I've cut back on my comics budget, and I collect Spider-man more than read. Since I never got those all ages ones before I passed on this one.

I only get Spider-man and Batman, and some Star Wars. Beyond that I'm done with Marvel and DC. I'm kind of tired of the endless superhero stories and all the dumb reboot-of-the-months.

The kid book is that Marvel Universe Ultimate Spider man. I didn't categorize Spidey as a kids book IMO. It's just a simple storyline line like the old days which is enjoyable. The artwork's decent as well.
18 posts • Page 1 of 2
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 252 days, 5 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Marvel Comics's Captain Marvel Issue # 7c
  • DC Comics's Jay Garrick: The Flash Issue # 6
  • Ultimate Marvel's Ultimate Spider-Man Issue # 84b
  • Maritsa Patrinos's Working Cats Issue # 2