feature requests

Before Diving in the Deep End (Comic Book Forums)

• Before Diving in the Deep End

Author Discussion
  • Posted: November 30, 2015 2:00:26 am
  • So I'm a little bit of a technosaur, having lived the majority of my days in a world of black and white TV, LP's and 45's, and not a personal computer in sight. I don't own a cel phone, let alone a Smart one, and I am not on social media, unless this site counts as such. Still, I find it is time to dive in, to take the plunge - a leap of faith, as it were - and try to sell some of my comics on ebay or any other suggested online places. So if any of you have any experience selling or buying comics online and tips, tricks, things to avoid and suggestions would be gratefully accepted and appreciated. I know a few things about ebay: for example I would need to set up an account but I don't even know if there is a cost for doing that. And when I do is there a minimum or maximum number of books I need to offer for sale at any one time or over a set time period? Should I do auctions or list with a price (or are there other options that allow for both)? What do I owe if a book does not sell? Should I get my comics graded first (I have five already graded)? How much does Paypal take off? How much should I add for shipping? And it goes on and on. I have far more questions than answers so if anyone wants to chime in please feel free!
    Tenzil
  • Posted: November 30, 2015 8:10:42 am
  • Tenzil said:
    So if any of you have any experience selling or buying comics online and tips, tricks, things to avoid and suggestions would be gratefully accepted and appreciated. This is a tip I picked up from a friend of mine that had to learn it the hard way. When selling on Ebay and using Paypal if your book sells for more than $250.00 you need to get a signature confirmation. Tracking isn't good enough. Without the signature the buyer can say that they never got it and paypal will make you refund the money.

I would need to set up an account but I don't even know if there is a cost for doing that. If you are going to list less than 50 items a month you can open a free account. Here is a link with their info. http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/ebay-fee-structure/index.html?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&campid=5336824214&toolid=10001

And when I do is there a minimum or maximum number of books I need to offer for sale at any one time or over a set time period? There is no minimum but there is a maximum. As you build credibility on Ebay the max will increase.

Should I do auctions or list with a price (or are there other options that allow for both)? Usually auctions sell for less than fixed prices. If you are in a hurry and need money quick I'd do auctions. If you aren't in any hurry to get rid of your books I'd do fixed prices. You do have the option to do both.

What do I owe if a book does not sell? You owe the insertion fee which is 20 cents. Remember if you use the fixed price option and you set the duration to Good Until Cancelled, every month the item is listed you will have to pay the insertion fee again.

Should I get my comics graded first (I have five already graded)? That's up to you. I don't have any graded books. I decide what I think the grade is and then list it accordingly. If I think it's a 9.4 I'll see what the other 9.4s are going for and list mine around that price.

How much does Paypal take off? I want to say it's 1.5% but I can't say for sure. As I'm typing this the Paypal site isn't working so I can't tell you for sure.

How much should I add for shipping? I charge $4.00 to ship 1-3 books. With the mailers that I use 1 book usually weighs around 7-9 oz. Be sure to buy your shipping from Ebay, it will save you a ton of money.

Keep in mind, I live in the U.S. so I don't know how true any of this info is for Canada.
    "You will soon see the distinct advantages of having no scruples whatsoever!" - Cobra Commander
  • Posted: November 30, 2015 9:42:19 am
  • Ebay will charge you a fee and paypal will also charge you a separate fee. I still can't figure out how they determine fees because they change it up every few months (or so it seems). If you're selling high dollar comics they are the way to go but I have been burned in the past with buyers who will lie and claim they never received the item, or that it was damaged or who knows what else. It happens. Even though I always use tracking and get the items insured Ebay doesn't care. They penalize the seller no matter what. So if you get burned you'll end up paying those fees and also forced to refund the buyer. This was the reason I stopped selling comics on there and now just sell through word of mouth or at shows.

There are other ways to sell online if it interests you. Forums like this site offer an option. Facebook also has a number of comic book groups. And there is always Craigslist or OfferUp. My advice is take good pictures and be detailed about descriptions.
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: November 30, 2015 10:06:29 am
  • In the US I strongly suggest using Priority Mail. A little more cost than parcel post, but automatically tracked and insured for $50. In years of use I have never had one issue with any comics sent or received using Priority.
    The joy is in the journey, not just the destination.
  • Posted: December 1, 2015 2:14:38 am
  • @labria4, Rapha1978 and Spa-fon: Thank you all for taking the time to reply and for all the advice, suggestions and tips. If anyone else wishes to share their two cents worth, don't hold back, even if it only one little tip or word of advice.
    Very Happy
    Tenzil
  • Posted: December 1, 2015 4:07:37 am
  • Excellent opinions from all IMO. Rapha mentioned Facebook groups . . . I've joined a Facebook group recently where we can buy and/or sell. If you're not in a hurry, join a group and get to know the people a bit first. At least you'll have some track record to go on and people can vouch for each other.

The buyer pays the postage and you only post once payment has been confirmed. No additional costs that I'm aware of . . .
6 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 190 days, 18 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Image Comics's Feral Issue # 1d.forces
  • Sofawolf Press's Heat Soft Cover # 8
  • IDW Publishing's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Saturday Morning Adventures - April Special Issue # 1
  • DC Comics's The Penguin Issue # 8b