feature requests

Steven Spielberg said Superhero Movies will, "go the way of the Western" (Comic Book Forums)

• Steven Spielberg said Superhero Movies will, "go the way of the Western"

Author Discussion
  • Posted: September 3, 2015 2:08:26 am
  • Do you think that Superhero Movies will go the way of the Western as predicted by Steven Spielberg?

I disagree although I do admit to thinking that we may reach a point where the market is saturated.

What are your thoughts?
  • Posted: September 3, 2015 9:18:37 am
  • Interesting topic to discuss. I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone say that about the Superhero movie genre and I think he (Spielberg) may be on to something. It won’t go the way of the Western anytime soon, but I would say that this generation of children who are growing up wanting to be like their favorite superheroe does compare to the generation of the 1940s-50s who were watching Westerns and playing Cowboys and Indians. People think the Western genre dissappeared, but it never did. It just got scaled back because around the 1960s everyone was wanting to do it and the market got saturated with too much. There have been a lot of great modern Westerns that have surpass some of the greats of the past: Unforgiven, Deadwood, 3:10 to Yuma, on Wheels, etc. And I don’t believe the Superhero genre will ever disappear either. It will get to the point where everyone will want to do it (we might be there right now), saturate the market and people will grow tired of it, but it will be around for a very long time.

Last edited September 3, 2015 9:24:36 am
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: September 4, 2015 4:07:32 am
  • Rapha1978 said:
    . . . it will be around for a very long time.

Agreed. At the end of the day Super-hero movies (as was the case with westerns and most other such movies) involves the fight between good and evil, light and dark and this has always been and will always be.

Super-hero movies are what we currently portray this classic conflict in because they (super-heroes) represent in many ways what we aspire to be . . . couragous, smart, powerful, brave, determined, etc. etc. AND who wouldn't like to look good in spandex, huh?

This begs the question, "What do we really define as a Super-hero movie?" . . . if its defined as someone facing extra-ordinary odds for a greater good then the genre is actually signifantly bigger than what we define it to be.
  • Posted: September 4, 2015 3:09:58 pm
  • As with everything else; it will slow down. I don't think it will disappear at all but production will surely slow down.
  • Posted: September 13, 2015 10:07:41 pm
  • Itll get much worse before it gets better. Agreed that everyone is going to be jumping into it because its the hot item. Already DC is trying to copy marvel (and trying to play catch up at the same time, which is why i think they are doing it wrong), and Valiant has the same plans.
  • Posted: September 14, 2015 2:17:05 am
  • Tex75455 said:
    Already DC is trying to copy marvel (and trying to play catch up at the same time, which is why i think they are doing it wrong), and Valiant has the same plans.

Why do you think that DC is trying to copy Marvel?

I agree that DC has been resting on its laurels and they could definitely have done a better job so far of building their on-screen universe, however I don't really see a similarity between what DC and Marvel are doing besides each of them (obviously) wanting to make big bucks off of their respective brands.

I'm a DC fan but enjoy comics in general and look forward to watching Avengers as much as I look forward to watching the BvS movie (okay, maybe I'm looking forward to BvS a bit more ;))
  • Posted: September 14, 2015 1:42:37 pm
  • They are trying to create the same shared cinematic universe that marvel created, but they are trying to do it in the space of one movie rather than carefully lay the groundwork over several individual movies and years the way marvel did. This is why i think they are going about it wrong.

When i watch the BvS trailer, i just thought it looked incredibly bloated. I'm sure ill watch it when it hits netflix, but they are trying to throw their biggest guns into one movie, hoping it takes off and creates the universe they see marvel having. However, they are ignoring that marvel took many many years to get there, and also that marvel is taking chances on lesser known properties to keep things fresh (Gotg, ant man, etc).

Whats sad is, DC is doing it right in their TV properties. Arrow has been great, flash was decent, and im excited for Legends of Tommorrow. Those they took their time to develop. , Arrow's first main arc really encompassed not just the first season, but the second as well. If they applied that kind of patience to their movie properties, they would be better off.
  • Posted: September 15, 2015 3:45:48 am
  • It does feel that DC is rushing into the cinematic arena quite fast, but we can only hope that they know what they're doing. Maybe the fact that they [Marvel] don't have the licences for some of their biggest franchises (X-Men, Spider-Man & Fantastic Four) worked in their favour because it forced them to rethink their entire approach to doing things and made them delve into their universe a bit deeper the scratch out guys like the Guardians, Ant-Man, etc. They had to be more creative and HAD to have a plan to use these characters in a way that gave them greater significance.

DC doesn't have to do this, cause they have all their toys to play with. I still think . . . as crazy as it sounds, if DC plays their cards right, they could give Marvel a good run for their money.
  • Posted: September 15, 2015 8:02:14 am
  • I would agree with you, accept DC also has a track record of awful movies when they try to think outside the box. Catwoman, green lantern, etc. Those were absolutely terrible. It seems the only property they know how to do well is batman (batman and robin notwithstanding), and superman 40 years ago.

Anyway, i truly hope they do a better job in the future, and think it through. But nothing so far has given me much hope. Like i said, that trailer for BvS just seems incredibly bloated.
  • Posted: September 16, 2015 1:51:28 am
  • First to address the original question. I doubt they will go the way of the Western but comic book films will definitely slow down. Someday, but not any time soon. I'm guessing we will have plenty of them for at minimum ten to fifteen years, and probably a lot longer. Still, nothing lasts forever. As to the DC Universe films, a place this forum has shifted to, I am taking a wait and see approach. DC has done some great things with their TV shows and I really enjoyed all the Dark Knight films, despite the few warts. But nothing else I have seen from this company has given me any confidence that they will be able to pull this off and created a defined DC film universe, similar to what Marvel has done. I hope I am wrong but I will need to be convinced. I actually have more hope for the Valiant universe films at this point.
    Tenzil
10 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Udon Entertainment's Darkstalkers: Jedah Issue # 1b
  • Todd McFarlane Productions's Sam and Twitch: Case Files Issue # 2
  • Marvel Comics's Star Wars: Thrawn - Alliances Issue # 4
  • Marvel Comics's Weapon X-Men Issue # 1 - 2nd print