feature requests

Do you buy the Overstreet Price Guide anymore ? (Comic Book Forums)

• Do you buy the Overstreet Price Guide anymore ?

Author Discussion
  • Posted: August 20, 2015 10:59:59 pm
  • Just wondering if collector's still buy the Overstreet Guide anymore? I used to by a copy every 3rd year but now have stretched it to every 5 years. I bought this year's copy and before that I bought the 40th Edition. Anyone notice that the pictures of the Overstreet Advisors haven't changed over the years. Is it really that hard to get an updated photo of these guys ? It makes one think what else isn't update to date in the publication !!!!!!!!
  • Posted: August 21, 2015 2:45:14 am
  • The last one I bought must be nearly twenty years old now.
    Tenzil
  • Posted: August 21, 2015 9:08:28 am
  • I do buy the book but the price data is a joke. The articles, ads, and individual issue information is very useful.

Unfortunately, they almost never update prices if it is not a top 20 book. They also don't list many modern variants. This is making the book not as useful as it has been in the past.

• Posted: August 21, 2015 9:15:08 am
  • With the Immediacy of the internet and other digital media it's placed paperback price guides on the 2nd shelf. Last one I bought was probably around 2003. I don't know how they're surviving considering that like you mentioned they may be outdated. I collect a lot of other different things (comics, cards, coins, toys, guns, and knives) and I think that today people are looking more at auction sites and seeing what something sells for to determine its value than flipping through a book that comes out once a year. I think if Overstreet were to really up their game and include more in-depth details, newer photographs, real street prices vs auction prices, and considering coming out on a bi-annual basis or change to a magazine format that was monthly, all those changes could make it relevant again.
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: August 21, 2015 2:22:55 pm
  • Haven't bought one in 10 years. With CBR and other sites easily accessible via iPhone, no sense in carting around a heavy book.
    The joy is in the journey, not just the destination.
  • Posted: August 21, 2015 4:49:13 pm
  • I agree the Internet is where to go for pricing but I still buy the Overstreet and enjoy flipping through it.
  • Posted: August 21, 2015 4:55:39 pm
  • Just picked up the new one last week , I always bring one when I'm at a show just for a quick reference
    ImageImage
    Image" alt="Image" title="Image" />
    Image" alt="Image" title="Image" />
    Image" alt="Image" title="Image" />Image" alt="Image" title="Image" />
  • Posted: August 25, 2015 4:06:15 am
  • Why don't CBR just buy out Overstreet and bring the whole thing on-line? LOL

I don't think I've ever consulted Overstreet for pricing, but I think that many still see it as the comic book pricing bible. The fact that Overstreet prices are relatively stable is probably what draws a lot of people to using it and obviously the name, "Overstreet" . . . its what many people associate comic book pricing / valuation with.

To each his own, I guess . . .
  • Posted: August 25, 2015 12:51:48 pm
  • After going on a 20+ year hiatus from collecting and starting to get back into it a little, I see no real reason to purchase an Overstreet. A friend of mine was dead-set last year on getting one, and not only myself but a mutual friend that owns a comic shop told him it was rather pointless to buy one. I can understand wanting a physical, hard-copy of prices but seriously..you can find everything, more up-to-date online. With that said, I admit that lately I have been wanting to buy one. Not so much for the prices, but for comic book news and notes from the last year.

Not to hijack the thread but, can anyone recommend a couple of websites to read about current and/or past comic book news? Unless Comic Book Realm is the best source?
    Thanks for reading. Take care guys!!

p.s. Didn't Overstreet use to put out smaller quarterly price guides, that were soft cover and were something like 1/3 of the price?? I faintly remember a black one with the Silver Surfer on it...
  • Posted: August 29, 2015 9:33:02 pm
  • Even before the internet no one ever went by it. Nice to look at, though. Smile
12 posts • Page 1 of 2
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 186 days, 23 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Evoluzione Publishing's Ma’ari Issue # 1
  • Marvel Comics's Spider-Man vs Venom Soft Cover # 1 - 3rd print
  • DC Comics's Superman/Batman Issue # 11
  • Ghost Ship's World's End Harem: Fantasia  Soft Cover # 11