feature requests

1st Comic Con (Comic Book Forums)

• 1st Comic Con

Author Discussion
  • Posted: August 3, 2015 9:19:38 pm
  • I went to my very first convention in Boston yesterday. I don't have many people who can appreciate this so thanks for dealing with me acting like this is FB and pretending you care.
    Holy Harley Quinns and Deadpools, Batman!!! I think that my favorite thing was that you were able to pretty easily get to see most of the artists and writers. Besides Amanda Conner of course. And almost all of them were extremely friendly. Unfortunately, I was unable to stay for very long but I was glad that I went.

Jason Latour was a big deal for me. If you can't tell, I am a big fan of Southern Bastards. Such a big fan that I sent the creators a pretty sarcastic and very unfunny email complaining about the delays in some of the releases. Seriously, it was bad. One of those things that you regret after hitting send. Well Jason Latour found this to be so unfunny that he replied to it in Southern Bastards #9. While his reply was pretty hilarious and poetic, you could see a small hint of frustration that he had from my email. When I met him, I brought it up and we both tried to take fault. Really he was incredibly gracious and friendly about the situation. I was star struck and could barely speak. He even gave me a signing and small commission piece for free. I am glad we made up! I am sure he was losing a ton of sleep about the situation.Embarassed

Matthew Rosenberg of 'We Can Never Go Home'. I love this new book from Black Mask. What a really nice guy. Looks like he was able to get a retailer exclusive variant cover for my lcs just in time for the convention that I was able to get signed. Sonic Youth homage cover. Only 250 copies. He also signed my First Printing. I totally just geeked out. Wow!

Archie vs Sharknado signed by Dan Parent for a fiver?! Yes please!

Had to pick this up by Dennis Budd.

I was lucky enough to be able to bring my 6 year old nephew to his first convention too. He had a great time and that alone made the whole trip.

Some BCC Variants I got cheap.

Not bad for two hours!
  • Posted: August 3, 2015 9:52:04 pm
  • Looked like fun. Thanks for sharing your experience.

My first con I drove south across the border and attended the ECCC in 2009. I saved up for half a year and took $1000 with me and filled in a massive amount of the Uncanny Xmen spanning 96 through the 140s. It was such an awesome experience.
  • Posted: August 3, 2015 10:05:01 pm
  • That's awesome rpenny! Sounds well planned and worth the trip since you got some great issues! I bet it was tough to have any money come home with you? Haha.

I definitely learned a few things so that I will be better prepared next year. My nephew couldn't hang(poor little Batman) so I didn't get to do as much buying as I'd hoped. I even purposely bought tickets for Sunday to get some good deals. Next year I will probably get a weekend pass since it is so close to me.

Thanks for sharing.
  • Posted: August 4, 2015 12:45:50 am
  • Good for you! Until you go to one, you really don't know what you're missing. I also went to my very first comic con in June, I went to the Las Vegas Amazing! Comic Con 2015. Had a blast. Got to meet some artists that I've been following for the last few decades, sat in some great panels (the Rob Liefeld and Jim Shooter panels were fantastic), saw some great cosplay costumes, and filled some holes in my collection. Glad that I got the weekend pass. Will definitely do it again.

Here are some of the commissions that I got:

John Romita Jr. One of my all time favorite Spider-Man artist.

George Perez. Said that everyone always wants different characters holding the Infinity Gauntlet.

Mark Bagley.

Dan Mendoza. Love his art for Zombie Tramp.

Another Dan Mendoza. His first sketch turned out so well, got him to do another one for me. Mary Jane.
  • Posted: August 4, 2015 2:37:47 am
  • What a great experience for you Rocknrolla! Sounds you like you had way too much fun and got lots done in a very short time!
    @Vengeance: Either in a reply here or a separate Forum post or a blog, I would love for you to expand upon the Jim Shooter panel. You may do Liefeld too, if you wish, though I am not a fan of his. But since Shooter has all but abandoned his blog I am starving for stories on one of my favorite idols in the industry and would love to hear any tidbits you can share!
    Tenzil
  • Posted: August 4, 2015 6:22:43 am
  • It really was a great experience. Thanks for chiming in everyone.

Vengeance those are some great commissions! I bet you needed the whole weekend to get all of those. And what a great place to spend the weekend! I love both Renew Your Vows sketches and of course the Walking Dead! But they are all nice pieces anyone would be lucky to have.
  • Posted: August 4, 2015 8:42:48 am
  • Nerds! LaughingLaughing

I've been to one Con...SDCC in 91
    Met a lot of writers and artists and hung out with guys from Slave Labour Graphics.
    The one person I really wanted to meet was John Byrne. I saw JB signing for DC but the line was endless so I passed, but found him later. He was very pleasant to me, and he, Richard Pini and I chatted for at least 30 min as I found him at the Apple Comics booth as JB had just done an Elfquest Annual and he wasn't busy as nobody knew he was there. Richard Pini teased JB on his art and story on comic I posted below. . Anyway I got a few books signed by him one was this his first published work which he signed twice...his old signature along with his new. This is it - http://comicbookrealm.com/series/22996/0/sait-college-aca-comix-one-shot

Last edited August 4, 2015 9:55:56 pm
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: August 4, 2015 7:57:17 pm
  • Wow Canuck almost 25 years ago! I wonder how much it has changed since then. Sounds like you had a good experience.
  • Posted: August 5, 2015 2:20:17 pm
  • Not really a "Con" but in the early 70s two brothers that collected comics and sci-fi books held a quarterly Swap Meet at their parent's house in Durham, NC. This drew about 30-40 people from NC, VA and WV, including one rare book dealer from VA. Spent the day trading and buying and watching old 16mm horror films like Nosferatu and Metropolis.

Had a chance to buy a really nice copy of All Star # 3 for $100 but that was my whole budget. Lost contact after moving to MD in 1973. Many years later was told the brothers donated their collection, including Detective 27, to UNC.

Also attended annual Swap Meets in Baltimore 1974-1977 then moved to Wisconsin.
    The joy is in the journey, not just the destination.
  • Posted: August 5, 2015 4:23:55 pm
  • Comic Con pioneers Spa-fon!
10 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 255 days, 20 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Marvel Comics's Black Widow and Hawkeye Issue # 2e
  • Marvel Comics's Giant-Size: The Incredible Hulk Issue # 1c
  • Comic Art Publishers's Steve Canyon Soft Cover # 2
  • Marvel Comics's Wolverine: First Class Issue # 2b