feature requests

Action Comics #1 had a contest that involved entrants having to tear out a page (Comic Book Forums)

• Action Comics #1 had a contest that involved entrants having to tear out a page

Author Discussion
  • Posted: July 10, 2015 6:11:26 pm
  • Amazing. I like that there's an actual list of the top 25 entrants who did it. I wonder how many are still alive?

Last edited July 10, 2015 6:11:48 pm
  • Posted: July 10, 2015 6:34:00 pm
  • It could have been a parent though , poor kid gets his action 1 ripped up bc mom tries to win him/her the contest rofl ......I agree it should make the book harder to find in one piece especially if this were a popular thing and it looks like it was.....I'm sure the one dollar was a lot more appealing back then also

Last edited July 10, 2015 7:07:35 pm
    Image" alt="Image" title="Image" />
    Image" alt="Image" title="Image" />
    Image" alt="Image" title="Image" />Image" alt="Image" title="Image" />
  • Posted: July 11, 2015 5:53:24 am
  • I used to cut things out of my comics all the time as a kid!

Here's a funny story from a kid who didn't know any better:
    When I first learned that comics were potentially valuable (maybe around 9 or 10 years old), I would take the staples out, put a piece of scotch tape over the staple area to reinforce the spine and then re-staple the comic. I was way ahead of my time in the field of archival preservation!

Visit Still Only 35 Cents at https://www.ebay.com/usr/stillonly35cents!
    Follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/stillonly35cents/
  • Posted: July 11, 2015 5:22:48 pm
  • ironagecomics said:
    I used to cut things out of my comics all the time as a kid!

Here's a funny story from a kid who didn't know any better:
    When I first learned that comics were potentially valuable (maybe around 9 or 10 years old), I would take the staples out, put a piece of scotch tape over the staple area to reinforce the spine and then re-staple the comic. I was way ahead of my time in the field of archival preservation!

Probably did the same for the value as cutting out pieces.
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: July 14, 2015 4:53:56 pm
  • Ouch!

A story similar. Before comic bags, my best friend and I, both collectors, would make our own "protective covers" way back in late 50's. We would cut a strip of common (in the South maybe) kitchen wax paper, sized to cover the entire folded out comic. Then carefully trim to about 1/2 inch around the area of the comic. Next fold over the flaps, cutting a "V" in the top and bottom of spine to fold in flat, and tape corners in place.

Worked nicely for us until the first comic bags came into being - thin plastic, not rigid and certainly not mylar. We've come a long way, baby!

The joy is in the journey, not just the destination.
7 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 190 days, 18 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Marvel Comics's Deadpool: Black, White, & Blood TPB # 1b
  • Marvel Comics's Jackpot and Black Cat Issue # 1f
  • Antarctic Press's Jungle Comics Issue # 26
  • Rosarium Publishing's Suzy Samson: The Gorgon And The Basilisk Soft Cover # 1