feature requests

Created simplified guide to grading comics (Comic Book Forums)

• Created simplified guide to grading comics

Author Discussion
  • Posted: July 3, 2015 4:46:57 pm
  • Sorry about the format.....I'm going to correct it later.....tell me what you think of my simple grading organization.....thank you for lookingShocked
  • Posted: July 4, 2015 3:24:11 am
  • You did a lot of work on this and I quite like what I can make out of it. I do have a question, though. You say, for example, that something on a corner makes a book 9.4 and you say the colour of the pages makes it 9.4 and you say one small, insignificant crease makes it 9.4 (don't go looking for real examples I'm only using these things to set up my question). So if the book has these three "flaws" and no others, what is the grade? Is it 9.4 or do the three flaws mean it gets a lower grade. Also, what if the flaws are of different grades? A spill on the back cover, a blunted corner and a split on the spine for example. One says the section grades as 6.0, another is a 9.0 and the other is a 7.5 flaw. Do you average the grade? Take the lowest? The highest? Add them all up and divide by the issue number?
    Don't get me wrong - I am not making fur of, nor belittling what you have done. I think it is truly impressive. I'd just like to know in the situations I've described, how I should grade my books!
    Tenzil
  • Posted: July 4, 2015 7:48:09 am
  • a lot of work that ApplauseApplause

But is there a way to put it all together?

Do some defects outweigh others?
  • Posted: July 5, 2015 5:39:25 pm
  • This is the one I use. Posted it in the grading forum guidlines a few years back.

http://www.e-bigs.net/freetool.php

Last edited July 5, 2015 5:40:16 pm
  • Posted: July 6, 2015 8:25:12 pm
  • fennrx said:
    a lot of work that ApplauseApplause

But is there a way to put it all together?

Do some defects outweigh others?

That is an Excellent question.. categorically, if you give each type of defect a particular weighted value in relation to all types of grades, I think The trick to that is one defect might hold more weight simply because of the degree/severity in which the flaw is....
    Example:

If i have 2 flaws one is say high - moderate gloss, and lets say you have 2" of creases.....Well the creases have more influence to grade it down then say the gloss factor here in this overly simplistic example...Im not sure its the weight of the flaw but the severity of the flaw/defect. (2"crease alone would be an 8.0) and (high to moderate gloss alone would be no more than a 7.0) I think its more to do with the severity of the flaw that what particular type of flaw.............Now having said this: I think the doll cut-outs, and things of this nature will down your grade very very fast...Thank you your input....I very much appreciate your questions..
  • Posted: July 6, 2015 11:12:05 pm
  • Mr.Grimm said:
    Sorry about the format.....I'm going to correct it later.....tell me what you think of my simple grading organization.....thank you for lookingShocked

do to the software, that will not accept changes to the doc. i will sent it to you as an attachment. whoever wants it. thx for your patients

Last edited July 6, 2015 11:16:32 pm
  • Posted: July 9, 2015 1:27:59 am
  • Tenzil said:
    You did a lot of work on this and I quite like what I can make out of it. I do have a question, though. You say, for example, that something on a corner makes a book 9.4 and you say the colour of the pages makes it 9.4 and you say one small, insignificant crease makes it 9.4 (don't go looking for real examples I'm only using these things to set up my question). So if the book has these three "flaws" and no others, what is the grade? Is it 9.4 or do the three flaws mean it gets a lower grade. Also, what if the flaws are of different grades? A spill on the back cover, a blunted corner and a split on the spine for example. One says the section grades as 6.0, another is a 9.0 and the other is a 7.5 flaw. Do you average the grade? Take the lowest? The highest? Add them all up and divide by the issue number?
    Don't get me wrong - I am not making fur of, nor belittling what you have done. I think it is truly impressive. I'd just like to know in the situations I've described, how I should grade my books!

The grade would still be 9.4 because that is only 3 defects. If you had another flaw then it could only be 9.2. if there were 6 flaws then it could only be 9.0. here is a link to the number of flaws per grade
    http://s791.photobucket.com/user/tinyfist/media/GradeChart_zpsbe416c53.jpg.html Dancing
  • Posted: July 9, 2015 2:13:54 am
  • Mr.Grimm, as usual your post is very informative. I definitely appreciate the time and clear frustration of compiling and posting this. Applause I will definitely incorpoarte this into my perspectives on grading although most of us technically do overspend on comics if one considers these flaws. When we buy our comics from the LCS, we're lucky if its a 9.4 depending on how the comic is handled but try and argue a discount based on that and you might just be shown the door. LOL
  • Posted: July 9, 2015 6:15:07 pm
  • GenesisDay07 said:
    Mr.Grimm, as usual your post is very informative. I definitely appreciate the time and clear frustration of compiling and posting this. Applause I will definitely incorpoarte this into my perspectives on grading although most of us technically do overspend on comics if one considers these flaws. When we buy our comics from the LCS, we're lucky if its a 9.4 depending on how the comic is handled but try and argue a discount based on that and you might just be shown the door. LOL

Thanks Genisis take care, and all the best Angel
  • Posted: July 10, 2015 2:19:31 am
  • Thanks Mr. Grimm for the reply and the link.On a related note, if you have one really bad flaw which would downgrade a book to say 5.0 for example, but the rest of the book looks great, is the book graded 5.0 or is some allowance given for the rest of the book being in great shape?
    Tenzil
  • Posted: July 11, 2015 2:50:34 pm
  • Unfortunately, It doent matter, there is very little latitude to major defects. If i have a detached staple i can be only 4.0 max. Even if the rest of the book is perfect..You can sometimes look at a CGC graded book, and it looks perfect, but you scratch your head and wonder why its a 4.0 instead of an 8.0 or 9.0 (for example). The only time it may be favourable is when the grade is very close to a particular higher grade.. example: its questionable to being a 6.0 or 6.5, in this case it maybe possible for cgc to give it a 6.5 instead of a 6.0(due to the one major flaw) if the rest of the comic is in a 9.4..very little latitude is given. It will never "Average Out" 9.4 + 6.0/2 you would get a grade of 7.5 this would be very wrong the grade is still 6.0 with a possible 6.5(in this case)

so if you successfully grade a comic to be a 5.0, its highly likely its a 5.0 with the major defect (and the rest of the book is say 9.4)

I hope this answered your question Think
  • Posted: July 12, 2015 3:32:07 am
  • Yes, very well, thank you. That is much as I expected but it is good to have that all confirmed!
    Tenzil
  • Posted: July 15, 2015 2:27:16 am
  • Mr.Grimm said:
    Unfortunately, It doent matter, there is very little latitude to major defects. If i have a detached staple i can be only 4.0 max. Even if the rest of the book is perfect..You can sometimes look at a CGC graded book, and it looks perfect, but you scratch your head and wonder why its a 4.0 instead of an 8.0 or 9.0 (for example). The only time it may be favourable is when the grade is very close to a particular higher grade.. example: its questionable to being a 6.0 or 6.5, in this case it maybe possible for cgc to give it a 6.5 instead of a 6.0(due to the one major flaw) if the rest of the comic is in a 9.4..very little latitude is given. It will never "Average Out" 9.4 + 6.0/2 you would get a grade of 7.5 this would be very wrong the grade is still 6.0 with a possible 6.5(in this case)

so if you successfully grade a comic to be a 5.0, its highly likely its a 5.0 with the major defect (and the rest of the book is say 9.4)

Your reference is outstanding (bookmarked it already) and this explanation helps tremendously. I figured it would work somehow like what you described, but seeing it laid out really clarifies things. Thank you Smile

- Craig Coffman
  • Posted: July 18, 2015 9:41:40 pm
  • octoberland said:
    Mr.Grimm said:
    Unfortunately, It doent matter, there is very little latitude to major defects. If i have a detached staple i can be only 4.0 max. Even if the rest of the book is perfect..You can sometimes look at a CGC graded book, and it looks perfect, but you scratch your head and wonder why its a 4.0 instead of an 8.0 or 9.0 (for example). The only time it may be favourable is when the grade is very close to a particular higher grade.. example: its questionable to being a 6.0 or 6.5, in this case it maybe possible for cgc to give it a 6.5 instead of a 6.0(due to the one major flaw) if the rest of the comic is in a 9.4..very little latitude is given. It will never "Average Out" 9.4 + 6.0/2 you would get a grade of 7.5 this would be very wrong the grade is still 6.0 with a possible 6.5(in this case)

Your reference is outstanding (bookmarked it already) and this explanation helps tremendously. I figured it would work somehow like what you described, but seeing it laid out really clarifies things. Thank you Smile

- Craig Coffman

Thank you very much
15 posts • Page 1 of 2
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 252 days, 5 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Marvel Comics's Dead X-Men Issue # 4b
  • Ghost Ship's Into the Deepest, Most Unknowable Dungeon Soft Cover # 8
  • Marvel Comics's The Uncanny X-Men Issue # 485b
  • Tome Press's Witness to War TPB # 1