feature requests

How much does a CGC add to the selling price/value? (Comic Book Forums)

• How much does a CGC add to the selling price/value?

Author Discussion
  • Posted: June 26, 2015 9:58:33 pm
  • Say a book is estimated to be a 4.0 and the seller is asking $200. And we'll assume that's a fair price. How much would I expect to pay for the same book that is certified as a blue label 4.0 by CGC ?

250? 300?
  • Posted: June 26, 2015 11:17:11 pm
  • Being graded doesn't make the book itself more valuable but collectors just pay to insure its going to be in that grade when they get it so if money isn't an option having a third party grade it and keep track of it in their system might give you the comfort you need to make that 200 ,400 , heck 1k or 10 k purchase and feel safe knowing they won't get ripped. But if it is what it is and they aren't trying to trick you then by all means save the coin and get it raw

Last edited June 26, 2015 11:39:16 pm
    Image" alt="Image" title="Image" />
    Image" alt="Image" title="Image" />Image" alt="Image" title="Image" />
  • Posted: June 26, 2015 11:50:49 pm
  • L0ngB0x is exactly right cgc adds no value to the book it is just a way of knowing that the grade u are getting is the actual grade u are getting. Now if you are willing to pay more for that guarantee (which people are) then that's up to the buyer.
  • Posted: June 27, 2015 12:46:35 am
  • Also, when buying a graded book, you get the peace of mind knowing whether or not the book has been restored or tampered with in some way.
  • Posted: June 27, 2015 9:03:43 am
  • I understand the peace of mind and the security. I understand slabbing costs the seller money.

What I'm asking is how much of a premium is typical for a slabbed book? If a price guide says 4.0 is "worth" $200, is a certified copy overpriced at $250? (25% mark up) Or is that to be expected?

I understand that there probably isn't a hard and fast rule either. I'm just trying to get a feel for the CGC market.
  • Posted: June 27, 2015 3:19:03 pm
  • Typically CGC grading helps the price with more expensive books and very high grade books. A $200 ungraded 4.0 book would usually have a $30-$50 price increase when CGC'd. That price basically covers the cost of grading the comic.

• Posted: June 27, 2015 11:07:47 pm
  • Agreed. If its cgcd, i typically add 50 bucks to what I am willing to pay, just because that is what it costs to cgc it.

However, i only think this way if it is a book i really want to ensur it is protected throughout the ages. If i would cgc the book on my own,just so i could display it, then I will ad 50 bucks or so to what i am willing to pay for it.

Also, if it is 9.8 or 10.0 cgcd, i might consider adding to what i am willing to pay for it.
  • Posted: June 28, 2015 8:27:09 pm
  • thanks fellas, that's what I was looking for.
  • Posted: June 28, 2015 9:10:14 pm
  • There is no way you would pay an extra fifty bucks on a dollar comic just because it's cgced there is no way you can put an exact value increase on it .........there was nothing learned here except from a sellers point of view adding cost to the selling price which is basically what any business savvy person would do
    Image" alt="Image" title="Image" />Image" alt="Image" title="Image" />
  • Posted: June 28, 2015 9:19:11 pm
  • It happens everyday for a good reason. It is the cost of doing business. If you want it CGC'd you will pay for it, otherwise buy it raw and take your chances with the outcome.

• Posted: June 28, 2015 10:37:07 pm
  • If you want the book cgcd for your own reasons (lasting protection, display purposes, etc), then 50 bucks is what you eill pay to get it cgcd. So if that is the case, it makes sense to just add fifty dollars to what you are willing to pay for an already cgcd book.
  • Posted: June 29, 2015 7:45:47 pm
  • Tex75455 said:
    If you want the book cgcd for your own reasons (lasting protection, display purposes, etc), then 50 bucks is what you eill pay to get it cgcd. So if that is the case, it makes sense to just add fifty dollars to what you are willing to pay for an already cgcd book.

This also does not count the grade. I would happily pay $50 over for knowing the book I am after is 9.8 CGC. People, myself included, believe we can tell what is/not a high grade book. We might very well be right. However, that label means _everyone_ knows the grade of the book whether they would personally agree or not. It pulls out the arbitrary / subjective side of things.

As well, I see quite a few 7.5+ CGC books and if they were raw I would have thought them to be much higher. Sometimes I cannot tell where the problem was. Other times, granted, it is obvious. Again, pulling out the personal bias and letting a third party decide.

I guess for me, if it is an important book (what ever definition you use for that) then the over-charge is just peace of mind. I paid $78 for a Justice League #1 (1980s series) 9.8CGC because that book has special meaning to me despite knowing I could get one at my LCS for a fraction of the price. Probably not a 9.8, but a very solid copy.

What I do not get is the current trend of x3+ for a CGC grade. That sucks and is definitely not worth it IMHO.

- Craig Coffman
  • Posted: June 30, 2015 6:43:41 pm
  • I agree that it depends a lot on the book. For books that are readily available in high grade, it would only be to preserve the book for yourself. But for older books and keys, buyers are willing to pay a premium for a guaranteed grade with no restoration. I am not astute enough to judge either from most sellers.

I have received books in "NM" grade that I can see are mid grade or lower. So if I were looking at a $500 book raw in NM or a graded 9.4 for $550, I would definitely pay the premium. And that increases with the rarity and value of the book.
    The joy is in the journey, not just the destination.
  • Posted: June 30, 2015 8:08:47 pm
  • I really want a copy of Venom: the Mace 3 CGCd, because it was my first comic book ever. I am just waiting to see a copy on ebay for less than 50 bucks. Im hoping to see it and it up one day.
  • Posted: June 30, 2015 8:35:18 pm
  • Yeah, I am looking for Sandman #1 because it was the 1st book I ever read that changed my understanding of what comics could be. It came out when I was in High School and I loved everything about it. The storytelling. The art. The covers!! All of it.

Until then comic books were only "men in tights" because I was unaware of the horror / monster history of the medium. Until Sandman Smile

Unfortunately it will set me back. I used to have the whole run and all the first edition HB trades, but foolishly got rid of them in my mid 20s. It always pains me a little to repurchase things, especially at a greatly inflated cost. Ah, well. The high cost of living, right ;)

- Craig Coffman
  • Posted: June 30, 2015 9:00:54 pm
  • I took the plunge this evening.....

Part of me is kinda sad that I can't read the book, but so it goes. But it's a good one....tee hee =)
  • Posted: July 1, 2015 12:49:15 pm
  • fennrx said:
    I took the plunge this evening.....

Part of me is kinda sad that I can't read the book, but so it goes. But it's a good one....tee hee =)

You took the plunge on which book? Always exciting to hear what others are pulling in to their collections Smile

- Craig Coffman
  • Posted: July 1, 2015 7:35:16 pm
  • octoberland said:
    fennrx said:
    I took the plunge this evening.....

You took the plunge on which book? Always exciting to hear what others are pulling in to their collections Smile

- Craig Coffman

all good things to those who wait Wink
  • Posted: July 1, 2015 10:28:46 pm
  • Keep us posted Smile

- Craig Coffman
19 posts • Page 1 of 2
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 243 days, 20 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Marvel Comics's Ms. Marvel: Mutant Menace  Issue # 2c
  • DC Comics's Superman Issue # 13f
  • Al Barrett's The Justiciary Issue # 4
  • Pizz Publications's The Pizz Poster Book Issue nn