feature requests

DC To Run Ads On The Same Pages As The Comics (Comic Book Forums)

• DC To Run Ads On The Same Pages As The Comics

Author Discussion
  • Posted: May 29, 2015 8:38:30 am
  • It’s something I mostly recall from the seventies, but it happened for a while. Comic companies choosing to run advertising on the same page as they’d run the story. Like this. http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/05/21/dc-comics-to-run-ads-on-the-same-pages-as-the-comics/

It wasn’t popular, was seen as a bit crass, even for comic books, and it eventually went away.

Until now.

I understand that DC Comics are planning to run half page double spread ads in their print comics soon. As a result, creators have been told to draft their story breaking in mind that one page will be split into two for the print comic – but also that it will be recombined for the collected edition.

I wonder if geek media buyers Bonfire had a hand in this?

We have all become advert-avoiders to some degree and it’s natural for a comic book reader to flip past an ad. But when it is on the same page that you are reading on, this becomes harder so the thought is, the ad will be more effective.

DC’s in-story ads only to destroy comics for a month…so far

http://www.comicsbeat.com/dcs-in-story-ads-only-to-destroy-comics-for-a-month-so-far/

Last edited May 29, 2015 11:04:44 am
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: May 29, 2015 12:04:45 pm
  • Does DC really need the extra cash that badly?
  • Posted: May 29, 2015 2:22:11 pm
  • Sad thing is that they think a 1 month experiment will give them the proof either way... Orders are placed what 2-3 months in advance? So you would have to have a drop off in sales before they would stop.

Frankly the best way for fans to get it to stop is to call out the advertisers and swear that in this case they won't eat Twix again.
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

Hunting for (mainly reprints/variants) - Please help! - See My Profile
  • Posted: May 30, 2015 2:28:08 am
  • I remember those. Not cool.
    Tenzil
  • Posted: June 1, 2015 5:09:04 pm
  • Yeah, pretty crappy. Id be upset about this, and I hope Marvel doesnt try something similar
5 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 252 days, 5 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Oni Press's Rick and Morty: Deluxe Double Feature Hard Cover # 3
  • Todd McFarlane Productions's Sam and Twitch: Case Files Issue # 2
  • Al Barrett's The Justiciary Issue # 5
  • Little Brown & Company's The Mighty Onion Hard Cover # 1