feature requests

I'm new to comics and need help. (Comic Book Forums)

• I'm new to comics and need help.

Author Discussion
  • Posted: May 28, 2015 3:12:33 pm
  • Hi, I'm new here. The gist of my story is that I'm seeing this girl and she has a brother who's really into superheroes and has really involved conversations with other people at my church. If I start seeing her, I'm going to be spending more time with him and his girlfriend as this girl is really close to him. I figured I might make an effort by reading a few comics. I've googled how to get into comics, and I've read a few free issues, but superhero comics seem to be one of the most intimidating and confusing things to try to get into. This guy seems to like Marvel in particular, so I've been trying to get into that.

Initially I was planning on choosing one hero or group to see if I like him/her/them, but I'm not 100% sure what I want to read so I am now thinking about reading some group/crossover series to see if I can get a feel for a bunch of superheroes and maybe see if one emerges as a favourite of mine that I want to follow. I was initially looking at checking out The Avengers comics, but apparently there is more than one Avengers series and I don't know where to start.

I decided to check out A Force #1 on a whim because it's a new series that just happened to start when I'm thinking of taking up comics and I was hoping it would be a good place to start, while maybe seeing if one or more super lady intrigues me(at this point I'm not married to a particular gender of Marvel superhero). I may have to read on because I was probably expecting too much from one issue, but it is a lot more confusing than I had hoped. If someone can explain that issue to me, maybe I'll have a better understanding of it.

Of course, any suggestion of where to start reading Marvel comics for a beginner are welcome. I'm thinking I want to stick with relatively recent stuff at this point in the interest of maybe catching up and possibly having a favourite series to follow monthly at some point, but for now I'm not looking to spend too much. Any kind of help will be appreciated.
  • Posted: May 28, 2015 4:06:54 pm
  • Since Marvel is in a huge change over mode, most of the titles are setting up what the new universe will be like.

Secret Wars #1 and #2 have just come out so this would be a good place to start as it is the main focus(title) of the reboot..
    Also new #1 of series' have been coming out the last few weeks as well and that trend will continue going forward for the next few months.
    So your timing couldn't be better.

Last edited May 28, 2015 4:11:07 pm
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: May 28, 2015 4:31:02 pm
  • Canuck said:
    Since Marvel is in a huge change over mode, most of the titles are setting up what the new universe will be like.Secret Wars #1 and #2 have just come out so this would be a good place to start as it is the main focus(title) of the reboot..Also new #1 of series' have been coming out the last few weeks as well and that trend will continue going forward for the next few months.So your timing couldn't be better.
    Thanks for the reply. That's good to know. At this point I have no idea what Battleworld is supposed to be. Well, ok, maybe I have some idea. It's some kind of fragmented world with some compartmentalized realms, and throwing a megaladon shark into another realm is...bad. I take it something bad happened and that's why this strange place exists, and those earths with random numbers attached to them...don't anymore, I think. I'm going to assume a multiverse is a bunch of universes, but I wouldn't mind hearing a dictionary definition of that word. At least it's good to know that my psychological need to start with something labeled #1 will be met. Maybe I will check out those Secret Wars issues, thanks.

Last edited May 28, 2015 4:31:38 pm
  • Posted: May 28, 2015 4:37:26 pm
  • To find out why this is all happening you'll have to read
    New Avengers Vol.3 and Avengers Vol.5 as this event was years in the making.
    Instead of buying/finding all the comics, go find the TPB's instead.

Last edited May 28, 2015 4:38:35 pm
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: May 28, 2015 5:29:31 pm
  • Canuck said:
    To find out why this is all happening you'll have to readNew Avengers Vol.3 and Avengers Vol.5 as this event was years in the making.Instead of buying/finding all the comics, go find the TPB's instead.
    I see. Thanks for the recommendation. Maybe I'll start with the Secret Wars stuff and see if I want to work back. I have to think about how much I want to spend on all of this, but a couple more issues and two trades shouldn't be too difficult to acquire.
5 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 255 days, 20 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Al Barrett's Atomman Special # 10
  • IDW Publishing's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Untold Destiny of the Foot Clan Issue # 2ri
  • Ultimate Marvel's Ultimate Spider-Man Issue # 69b
  • Marvel Comics's Wolverine: First Class Issue # 11b