feature requests

Selling comics to a comic shop? (Comic Book Forums)

• Selling comics to a comic shop?

Author Discussion
  • Posted: April 27, 2015 10:28:34 am
  • Just had a question. Anyone have any experience selling comics to a comic dealer/shop? I understand that if you want the most bang for your buck, that selling online is the best bet, but i just have like 5 books i wanna sell, and the comic shop im gonna go to has been around for years in the city, and is he best in the city, so no worries of it being on its death bed or anything is what i mean about that. I know they offer a fraction of retail, bc they have to make money also, but what exactly is the percentage. Meant that as more figurative lol i know there is no answer, but is it so small that it gets past over often, or is it reasonably fair? I have an issue of "what if...venom/deadpool" for example that i want to sell, bc i know it will drop soon and was never a fan of the art or story. Its wort $165 here NM. Yes i know my copy probably isn't NM, but hypothetically it is for comparison, how much would they offer me? Is expecting $80 too lofty? Also, is it expected to know the grades going in and any info? Are they like mechanics to a hot girl? Do they prey on the unknowledgeable, or are they always pretty helpful? I've read good and bad stories. Any help would be appreciated pls, and thank you.
  • Posted: April 27, 2015 10:57:53 am
  • Typically they will offer 20 percent of grade, so for your book expect an offer of $30-40.

• Posted: April 27, 2015 11:01:39 am
  • You may get more than $30 - $40 is he knows he can flip right away, but most of the time the 20% is close if not lower.
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: April 27, 2015 3:21:38 pm
  • The shop I go to offers anywhere from 20-50% depending on how hot the book is at the time. The hotter the book the faster they can flip it.

Last edited April 27, 2015 3:22:01 pm
    "You will soon see the distinct advantages of having no scruples whatsoever!" - Cobra Commander
  • Posted: May 4, 2015 10:05:18 am
  • I have sold several to my LCS, mainly hot issues, and have sold for around 50% to 60% of book value. Have also discussed consignment. Owner's formula is (1) my total costs of comic, including slabbing, (2) selling expenses such as eBay & PayPal fees, slabbing, etc and (3) selling price. Formula is (3)-(1)-(2) /2. So we split the profit after expenses. Mainly he wants slabbed books but discussing some unslabbed hot runs such as Fables.
    The joy is in the journey, not just the destination.
5 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 186 days, 23 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Marvel Comics's Edge of Spider-Verse Issue # 2lee
  • Sofawolf Press's Heat Soft Cover # 4
  • Dark Horse Comics's Masterpiece Issue # 4b
  • Ab3 12c Ent.'s The Nefarious Smyths Issue # 6b