feature requests

Is the Hulk really incredible? (Comic Book Forums)

• Is the Hulk really incredible?

Author Discussion
  • Posted: January 20, 2015 9:24:02 am
  • Maybe i'm missing something, but i've never found the incredible hulk story lines to be very interesting. The movies and his short role in old man logan is about all i have seen.

Any suggestions on good hulk reading?
  • Posted: January 20, 2015 9:34:53 am
  • Start with the original issues and work your way to current issues would be the best way to read it. Hulk 1-6, Tales to Astonish 70-101, Hulk 102+

If you want to start somewhere more modern, take a look at the Planet Hulk storyline. That is a completely different Hulk but it is a good storyline. Once the storyline moved to Red/Green Hulk and newer, the story really started to decline. I stopped reading Hulk a few months ago, it was boring.

• Posted: January 20, 2015 10:53:47 am
  • I'm with you Joe. I never really found Hulk to be that interesting either. Same as Iron Man or Captain America. I’m talking about their comic book storylines. I think the movies did a lot to make those characters a lot more interesting, but coming from reading comics back in the 80s and 90s it seem like they were on the other end of the “excitement” factor compared to what was going on with all of Marvel’s X-titles and Spider-Man.

When I was younger I always felt like Hulk was sort of third grade reading level. He’d talk like Frankenstein, “Hulk smash!”, “Hulk angry!”, “Hulk poung yer face!”... It’s somewhat insulting to the reader to take it seriously. There were times I tried to pick it up and remember when they introduced grey Hulk (Mr. Fixit) who made the stories a lot more interesting. That was around the time Todd McFarlane was doing art on the series. When they brought the Dale Keown and Peter David team, those stories made the Hulk seem a lot smarter and I was actually wanting to read it but then after Keown left it went downhill again. I don’t know anything about any of the modern stories. I see all these different colored Hulk’s like Red Hulk and just think it’s more of a gimmick to get sales up. But the actual Hulk character has never interest me much.

Don’t get me started on Iron-Man. He may be the bees knees these days but I remember back when Marvel almost cancelled his book because sales just weren’t there.
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: January 21, 2015 8:01:29 am
  • I never was into Iron Man growing up, the movies definitely made him look better. I remember him as a drunk.

I saw a planet hulk movie on netflix the other day, i'll watch it next time i get the chance.
  • Posted: January 22, 2015 9:25:59 am
  • Never got into the Hulk books. The only Hulks I've watched were the movies (not impressed). But I did like the 70's Hulk show with Lou Ferigno and Bill Bixby.
  • Posted: January 22, 2015 9:30:43 am
  • If you get the CBS app you can watch a lot of the Hulk TV episodes for free. I remember liking the show as a kid. I watched an episode last week and could not believe how bad it was and I wanted to like it.

• Posted: January 22, 2015 9:44:25 am
  • Same here Joe. The acting and effects were terrible. I think the same can be said for Knight rider too. That was my favorite as a kid and I can't believe it now.
  • Posted: January 22, 2015 10:07:09 am
  • That goes for almost any action based TV show from the 70's or 80's. They do not hold up to time very well.

• Posted: January 22, 2015 6:55:38 pm
  • agree Hulk dumb
  • Posted: January 23, 2015 10:31:08 am
  • I think "planet Hulk" is the best story so far. The whole Peter David run was pretty good. Bruce Jones and Jason Aaron did a decent job too. The lowpoint is that, depending on the writer, the characters motivation can change a lot and it cause a problem with continuity.

I hope that the actual storyline, by reducing the number of gamma powered characters, will help (it was just ridiculous).
  • Posted: January 25, 2015 5:58:26 pm
  • Agree, never found the hulk interesting. Only recently tried to get into his comics, and havent found them interesting at all. Definitely some of my least favorites each month.

Also agree on how dissapointing knight rider is now... watched a season on netflix a couple of years ago, very dissapointed.
11 posts • Page 1 of 2
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 190 days, 18 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Killer Comics's Crucifix Executioner Issue # 10
  • Marvel Comics's Jackpot and Black Cat Issue # 1b
  • DC Comics's Sinister Sons Issue # 1f
  • Ablaze Media's Traveling to Mars Issue # 11f