feature requests

Recs For 18 yo Nephew w/2nd grade reading level? (Comic Book Forums)

• Recs For 18 yo Nephew w/2nd grade reading level?

Author Discussion
  • Posted: October 13, 2014 6:20:40 pm
  • Hi, I joined to find some comic book/graphic novel recs for my nephew Smile

My brother & sister-in-law adopted four abused kids recently, and the oldest is now 18. He's a pretty great kid, but was physically abused, probably due to being slightly to moderately mentally handicapped. He has a reading level of 2-3rd grade right now, but I just found out he loves science fiction (and Will Smith movies!).

Growing up on Richie Rich, Archie, and Casper, (lord forbid a girl read any other type of comic 40 years ago!) I can still remember how excited I'd get when I got any new comic Smile I'd like to try and get Nate hooked as well. Of course, being a bookworm, anything that gets him reading, and enjoying it, is of the good!

I'd like to get him something that has sci-fi, action, some violence/blood, (but not over the top-there was abuse, I don't want to trigger anything) and a storyline he'll need to read to keep up. I'm sure he could read most any comic/novel, and I'd probably start him with the standards, Batman, Superman, Spider-man... except there's so many I don't know where to start.

We bought them all tablets for Christmas last year, so any recs on where to buy in cbr format would also be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for any help!
  • Posted: October 14, 2014 10:30:12 pm
  • I am personally loving both the Megaman and Sonic the Hedgehog comics. They may work for his reading level. Highly entertaining, and not wildly violent.
  • Posted: October 15, 2014 11:41:42 am
  • I checked those out, and they do look like something he'd like Smile

Sonic made me think of cartoons and anime, and Megaman made me think of of Megamind which led to animated movies, so I now have several other avenues to check for possible comic/graphic novels. I know he likes all of those so I have a few hours of web surfing in my future! Thanks... I think ;)

No, seriously, thank you very much, I really appreciate the help. He's a sweet kid and deserves some fun. And if he improves his reading while doing it... eh so much the better Smile
  • Posted: October 19, 2014 5:17:20 pm
  • I think those will probably be a good fit. The language and such is kept to a younger level, so should be easy to read. At the same time though, theres a lot goin on in the books, and the stories are interesting and have enough maturity and happenings to stay interesting for adults, that way he wont get bored easily.

I look forward to those as much as I do any of my other monthly books.
5 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 186 days, 23 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Marvel Comics's Cable Issue # 3
  • DC Comics's Knight Terrors: Knocturnal Creatures Hard Cover # 1
  • Marvel Comics's Miles Morales: Spider-Man Issue # 18c
  • Marvel Comics's Ms. Marvel: Mutant Menace  Issue # 1b