feature requests

Spider Woman #1 Variant cover ... (Comic Book Forums)

• Spider-Woman #1 Variant cover ...

Author Discussion
  • Posted: August 21, 2014 5:27:13 pm
  • I am actually enjoying all the controversy over it. It makes me laugh.

I don't know, let's just be real.
    The art STYLE is interesting, I think it could have worked with just about other pose for her (don't start throwing suggestive poses my way), I'm just sayin'.

I don't know what y'all think of it, but that's what I think, as an artist.
  • Posted: August 21, 2014 9:09:53 pm
  • I saw this earlier. Honestly, I dont think its a huge deal. , ive seen Spiderman covers where hes in the exact same pose. Get over it

Plus, this is what Milo does, so why is anyone surprised?

Or if another artist had drawn the exact same pose, would it still be a big deal?
  • Posted: August 21, 2014 9:31:19 pm
  • I don't think it should have blown up as big as it did. We've had some REALLY terrible covers grace our geeky presences and lately it seems like everyone's sole purpose is to rip things apart.

When I first saw it, I didn't like it, but am I gonna flip out? No. I think it's interesting and that's about all.

And it is sort of a typical Spider Man pose, albeit not as gracefully executed.
  • Posted: August 22, 2014 9:12:52 am
  • Came across this on another site, if it was done like this would anybody have cared?
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: August 22, 2014 9:16:26 am
  • My problem with it is her face looks 2D.
  • Posted: August 22, 2014 12:41:48 pm
  • I'm torn between not caring and caring.

And yes, the face does look a bit 2D, it's one of the most un-rendered parts of this whole piece. It's very important that a face works in an image.

The art style looks driven by impressionism which is fine.
    People are complaining that it's too suggestive. I don't think that is so AT ALL. Provocativeness and comics go hand in hand. That's not the issue.

I simply think it's a bad combination of art style (which does include anatomy), and what COULD have been slightly sexy.
    I don't see sexy here. I see creepy-crawler. The body is exaggerated in a way that makes her look gangly and not graceful, which she needs to be.
    We argue that Spidey was captured in a similar pose. Yes, but there was better composition in the piece and it tied in so much better.
    I'm trying really hard to not sound like a jerk here. Gah. Sorry.

The cover personally doesn't BOTHER me, I just feel like I have a slight understand as to why it's not quite working.

Also, the revamp that Canuck posted is better, but it's not helping that much, lol.

Last edited August 22, 2014 12:43:57 pm
  • Posted: August 22, 2014 1:18:45 pm
  • I actually like the cover. One small issue I have is the position of her head. It kind of looks like her neck is way longer than it should be. Does it look like a body paint suit? Yes. But again, It's not distastefully done IMHO. As far as her behind, there is much more out there that is worse. Just my $0.02! Cool

Last edited August 22, 2014 1:20:42 pm
    fsjeter's John Romita Sr Spider Man Covers album on Photobucket
  • Posted: August 22, 2014 1:30:32 pm
  • so is this on the same level? It should be, but nobody cared.

Last edited August 22, 2014 1:31:49 pm
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: August 22, 2014 1:48:22 pm
  • fsjeter said:
    I actually like the cover. One small issue I have is the position of her head. It kind of looks like her neck is way longer than it should be. Does it look like a body paint suit? Yes. But again, It's not distastefully done IMHO. As far as her behind, there is much more out there that is worse. Just my $0.02! Cool

I don't think it's distasteful either, and agree there's so much more out there that could be harped on.

Canuck said:
    so is this on the same level? It should be, but nobody cared.

Compositionally, the Spidey one was executed better. His body is contouring to a sphere (a lumpy sphere, but a sphere nonetheless), and the perspective gives a legitimate reason for this pose to look similar to the Spider-Woman one (seeing the whole backside). It's a classic Spidey pose (one of many).

That pose is usually associated with wall-crawling or perhaps a landing. She's on an upright building, so.. sure, she could have just crawled over the edge, we can't really see her right leg, but it's the exaggeration of the pose that tips it right over the edge of overdone. I still kinda like it.

The more I look at it, the more I appreciate the art style, and not the content.
22 posts • Page 1 of 3
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 252 days, 5 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Archie Comics Group's Betty & Veronica: Friends Forever - Fairy Tales Issue # 1the616-a
  • Marvel Comics's Spider-Woman Issue # 6b
  • Marvel Comics's Ultimate Black Panther Issue # 2 - 2nd print
  • Kodansha Comics's Vinland Saga  Hard Cover # 2deluxe