feature requests

Just Getting Into Comics (Comic Book Forums)

• Just Getting Into Comics

Author Discussion
  • Posted: August 11, 2014 1:22:37 pm
  • Hello! I have always been a big fan of superheroes and the teams/comics in general but I had never known where to start and have just recently started a collection of comics. I was just wondering if anyone had some tips for a "beginner" or have a link to somewhere with tips! Thanks
  • Posted: August 11, 2014 4:14:18 pm
  • Go visit your local comic book store and ask to see what they suggest. If you enjoy superheroes and teams, DC restarted their universe back with the NEW52 in 2012, so there's 2 years of Justice League, Batman, Superman issues that should be easy to catch up on.

If you're into older comics I'd suggest the Claremont/Byrne/Silvestri/Lee X-Men run and the Byrne or Simonson run on Fantastic Four. Those were great and the storylines were so good that most of the current Marvel movies (X-Men) have been using them as source material.

Really it depends on what you enjoy reading. The two biggest teams are probably the X-Men and Justice League. I won't recommend Avengers because everything current is sort of irrelevant to follow. Guardians of The Galaxy is pretty good right now too and not too many issues out there to catch up on.

Last edited August 11, 2014 4:17:05 pm
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: August 11, 2014 4:14:52 pm
  • Welcome to the realm.
    The best bet would be to pick a genre you're into and then a character or two and go from there to get started. Then get hooked and go broke trying to get every issue. Laughing
  • Posted: August 12, 2014 7:59:26 am
  • Welcome! What you have here in the Comic Book Realm is a bunch of experts who LOVE to help! First and foremost...collect what you like! Then...if all else fails...collect 20th Century intercompany crossovers!!! LOL. In all seriousness, there are few hobbies that are more enjoyable.

Have fun!
    Crossoverking
  • Posted: August 12, 2014 12:17:44 pm
  • Aside from store suggestions see if you can find free samples somewhere, like previews and ashcans. You can see what you might like and take your pick from there.
  • Posted: August 12, 2014 6:05:36 pm
  • Let us know what your interests are, and well try to point you towards somethin we think youll like
  • Posted: August 13, 2014 12:54:33 pm
  • Well I have been reading Black Widow recently and I'm really into Batman (not sure where to really start with either though so I've been reading randomly I guess?).
  • Posted: August 18, 2014 7:15:47 pm
  • Try the first 6 issues of the current Moon Knight. It has a similar feel to black widow, but I think its done better
  • Posted: August 19, 2014 11:01:41 am
  • You can also check on eBay. There are a number of dealers that will sell a box (either 150 or 300 comics) for around 20 cents to 30 cents a book. These are mostly books from 90s and up, and no "gems" but may be a large variety so you can cheaply check out some different titles.

Welcome to the Realm and Happy Hunting!
    The joy is in the journey, not just the destination.
  • Posted: August 24, 2014 2:02:40 am
  • Find a comic store with a really good "bargain box" - either 25 cents each or "comics by the pound" (and yes, some stores will sell them this way. If you can't do that, go to a SMALL, local comic show, one that won't charge more than $5 or so to get in. Then locate a couple good bargain bins there. Raid the bargain bins for a variety of comics and dirt cheap prices and find ones you like, then start collecting those. Once you get a handful of books you like, you can start adding other ones later. A lot of times, you can start by just latching on to a couple of characters and maybe one team book, then add books as you figure out which team members you like(if they have their own book) or which guest stars catch your eye.
10 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 186 days, 23 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Illiterature Press's Chronic Apathy Issue # 4
  • Marvel Comics's Marvel Comics Presents Issue # 166
  • Marvel Comics's Wolverine Issue # 46b
  • Marvel Comics's Wolverine Issue # 46c