feature requests

Popular Characters You Don't Care For (Comic Book Forums)

• Popular Characters You Don't Care For

Author Discussion
  • Posted: April 12, 2014 5:17:08 pm
  • Okay, the opposite of the other thread I recently started, and inspired by one of the posts.

What popular character or characters have you just never been able to get into? And is there a reason why?

For me, it's easy - Superman. He's just too insanely powerful. Short of Kryptonite, possibly magic or mind control, he's almost unstoppable. Really, 98% of his villain fights should be over in 2-3 seconds except he forgets about how powerful he actually is. When a friend of mine built him for a roleplaying campaign (as an NPC), he built Supes on "cruising speed" - the level he usually operates on, which is stupidly high to start. And then built a huge boost for when he remembers, "oh yeah, I'm almost as fast as the Flash and can knock planets out of orbit when I feel like it". And yes, I know they supposedly, "toned him down" after Crisis on Infinite Earths. But there were still plenty of times where they suddenly decided that "he's Superman so he can do anything we need him to or say he can", no matter how ridiculously powerful they might make him.

In general, I always liked Marvel better because the heroes weren't so overpowered. Too many DC heroes are orders of magnitude more powerful than the villains they fight, but Superman was always the biggest problem/example for me.
  • Posted: April 12, 2014 7:25:41 pm
  • In the DC universe it would have to be Superman for me too. It's for all of the reasons you mentioned. His biggest enemy is Lex Luthor, a smart human. He really doesn't have anything to be worried about. I mentioned this on another forum and one of the posters said something to me that made sense and made me look at his comics differently. They said, "You're reading them wrong. It's not a question of him being in danger or not. The question you have to ask while reading is, how is he going to defeat this guy without any harm coming to bystanders or loved ones?" It still isn't enough to make me want to buy Superman comics but I think I can see where the writers are coming from now.

For Marvel it has to be Magneto. I can't stand him and I think he is the worst villain/hero.
    "You will soon see the distinct advantages of having no scruples whatsoever!" - Cobra Commander
  • Posted: April 12, 2014 7:35:05 pm
  • Wolverine - just cause he has to be in everything. I liked him more when we used to know less about him.

Cyclops - he should have died in Avengers vs X-Men. Haven't liked where this character has gone since Schism. Maybe earlier...need to think about it more.
  • Posted: April 12, 2014 11:48:18 pm
  • labria - The "how to end this without bystanders getting hurt" isn't enough for me either since, by default, EVERY hero should be trying to do this and if Superman is going all out, he should have no trouble doing it in almost every situation he's regularly thrown into. In fact, his holding back undoubtedly creates MORE damage and danger for the bystanders. Really, if he had a half a brain, every time one of these villains decided to pick a fight in downtown, Supes would use his speed to grab the guy and drag him a hundred miles out over the ocean before the guy even knew what hit him. It shouldn't take him more than a couple of seconds at top speed and few of his villains have the reaction time to see and avoid him at top speed. Once out to sea, he can drop the bad guy if it's say Metallo or Parasite and then just roast him with heat vision until he stops moving. Or drop him from a few hundred feet, race ahead to create a whirlwind of water around the guy then freeze it all with his breath. Seriously. End of story. But of course, that would make for boring stories. So he has to pretend to be much less powerful than he really is.

Magneto - Isn't really a hero OR a villain...that might be part of the problem. Magneto really doesn't classify well. He's always been a parable for a violent resistance to oppression, hardened by his experience in Germany.

rpenny -

Wolverine - I agree. I liked him better when they weren't re-writing his origin every time you turned around. I really enjoy Wolverine in the pre-Uncanny 300 (or so) days. Basically, before they made him James Howlett for no apparent or necessary reason.

Cyclops - Stopped reading long before Schism, so I can't say much about what they've done to him in the last decade or so, but the glimpses I've gotten are...somewhere between not good and downright stupid. I liked the old Cyke. He was a necessary balance for the ruthlessness of Wolverine.
  • Posted: April 13, 2014 4:37:03 pm
  • For DC, Superman is definitely one character that I don't care for. He's just too 'perfect'. Also, I don't like how he's super intelligent but generally resorts to punching villains as his main option like a barbarian. That has always bothered me.

For Marvel, even though I know many people will disagree with me, I am not real fond of Captain America. He just seems to optimistic and patriotic to me, even though I know that's what he's supposed to represent. Also, he is too much of a follower/soldier to my liking who doesn't really seem to question whether what he's fighting for is actually 'right' for all of humanity or just the side he's fighting on (i.e. America). But, I haven't read many newer Captain America comics, so I don't really know how he is now.

Last edited April 13, 2014 4:37:50 pm
  • Posted: April 13, 2014 9:02:46 pm
  • I believe many feel that Wolverine is overexposed because he gained his popularity in a team book instead of being launched as a solo character. Truthfully, Spider-Man appears in equal number of books if not more than Logan does, yet no one say anything about Spidey being overexposed. I'm not a fan of the name Howlett. Wolverine will always be known as Logan to me. Smile
  • Posted: April 13, 2014 10:22:24 pm
  • logerine said:
    I believe many feel that Wolverine is overexposed because he gained his popularity in a team book instead of being launched as a solo character. Truthfully, Spider-Man appears in equal number of books if not more than Logan does, yet no one say anything about Spidey being overexposed. I'm not a fan of the name Howlett. Wolverine will always be known as Logan to me. Smile

Same for me.
    "You will soon see the distinct advantages of having no scruples whatsoever!" - Cobra Commander
  • Posted: April 14, 2014 7:13:31 am
  • Superman would be an obvious choise.
  • Posted: April 14, 2014 9:31:44 am
  • I have to agree with Superman for the reasons in the original post. Way overpowered and he keeps forgetting about it. I had to laugh in the Injustice books when he has the conversation with the Flash of "I could end all this, but it would mean killing people" and then he goes off the rails and cuts loose. After that point, he reins himself in again, he could have killed all the heroes who split away in a second. He keeps going full power for a brief time and then holds back, it just doesn't make sense.

Wolverine is another one just because they supercharged his regeneration and made him basically immortal (I know he recently lost his powers, but we all know he will get them back). When he survives the equivalent of a nuclear blast from Nitro and regenerates in a couple of hours, then there just isn't a point anymore.

Hulk is another one that is like Supes and is overpowered. There are some problems you can't punch your way out of, but not in Hulk books.

Cyclops just got way too preachy around Schism and I think that turned a lot of people off of him.

Some of these characters have been around for something like 60 years, does anyone else wish that Decimation or AvX or something had thinned the ranks of the older heroes to make more room for the new ones? Seriously, Magneto is in his 80's now, Superman and Cyclops should be about 60, even Kitty Pryde should be in her 50's now. Let them die and bring in a new generation of heroes.
    Look, the people you are after are the people you depend on: we set up your computers, we deliver your email, we connect your calls, we backup your files, we guard your networks while you sleep. Do not %@&# with us. - paraphrased from Fight Club

• Posted: April 15, 2014 9:06:05 pm
  • Agree with many of those already mentioned. Number one boring for me is Superman, for the reasons stated.

Not a huge fan of hulk either, for similar reasons. I find the Fantastic Four boring, and am trying to figure out the appeal of that team as well.
27 posts • Page 1 of 3
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 190 days, 18 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • DC Comics's Batman Issue # 146f
  • D.C. Thomson & Co.'s Commando: For Action and Adventure Issue # 5738
  • Rebellion's Judge Dredd: A Penitent Man TPB # 1
  • AC's Mechanical Dead Issue # 3