feature requests

So I was in a CB store earlier today ... (Comic Book Forums)

• So I was in a CB store earlier today ...

Author Discussion
  • Posted: April 4, 2014 2:09:01 pm
  • ... and picked up some FF issues from the early to mid 1970s when an older woman and her son, probably in his mid to late 20s, come in and asks the owner to take a look at some comics her husband had - apparently he passed away recently. So she plops down an FF #1, a ASM #1 and a DD #1. Shocked Turns out the FF and the ASM are the Golden Record reprints from 1965. They look to be in VF to VF/NM condition. However, the DD #1 is the real deal but the spine has seen better days and theres a good amount of wear. The book looks to be in G to VG condition. Then she lays the first bombshell on us.
    She said her husband had the first 190 issues of DD. ShockedShocked And that he kept them all in bags and boxes and was really careful with them. Telling her someday they be worth something. And then the second bombshell was released.
    He had some more comics from this era ... Spider-Mans, Fantastic Fours, Thor, etc. ShockedShockedShocked She said she has a rough idea what they are by getting an Overstreet guide but didn't know how to grade them. And through all this, the son was giving off an "I don't give a " attitude. d'oh! The owner said he would help her if she wanted. He's a good guy. Hopefully, they can work out an arrangement that is beneficial for both of them. I did tell her to do more research, get on eBay to see what these books are selling for and try a few other sites to get good barometer of what she has. I said that she might have enough to get a house with if they're the right books in the right conditions. I wanted to make a blind offer right then and there, but I was in someone's store and I would hate to have been the owner and have a customer do that to me. Hopefully she can get a nice nest egg going for herself at least. But the son ... Brick wall
  • Posted: April 4, 2014 3:01:30 pm
  • Funny books aren't for everyone. My grandfather collected cut glass. He told me to pick out some that I liked. I found one, mostly out of politeness, and as an heirloom. The saying about one man's treasure goes in two different directions.
  • Posted: April 4, 2014 3:26:59 pm
  • hermanwilliams said:
    Funny books aren't for everyone. My grandfather collected cut glass. He told me to pick out some that I liked. I found one, mostly out of politeness, and as an heirloom. The saying about one man's treasure goes in two different directions.

True. But why can't she be my aunt or something? Think Hold on!? She's single now ...
  • Posted: April 6, 2014 12:36:00 pm
  • early Daredevil... mmmmm...

reading and collecting since the early '90s.
  • Posted: April 24, 2014 7:42:20 pm
  • I would have at least tried to make an offer for a few of those. I bet she'd have considered and the worst she could say is no.

Reminds me of a few summers ago when I helped a friend move a few things from his attic. His brother had passed away and left him a few boxes which he was getting ready to throw away. I casually flipped through one and at the bottom of one of the boxes was a stack of comics. Fantastic Four #10-55, early X-Men's #14-22, Amazing Spider Man #6, some other's that were DC but I can't remember those today... To make a long story short he didn't know anything about comic books and I couldn't lie to him (hey he's one of my best friend's) about how much these could be worth. I made an offer right there and he decided to think about it. A few months later he listed them on ebay instead.

Last edited April 24, 2014 7:43:31 pm
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: April 24, 2014 10:06:35 pm
  • Rapha1978 said:
    ... To make a long story short he didn't know anything about comic books and I couldn't lie to him (hey he's one of my best friend's) about how much these could be worth. I made an offer right there and he decided to think about it. A few months later he listed them on ebay instead.

At least he could have offered you some of the less valuable ones since you helped him out. Would have been the decent thing to do for a friend.
  • Posted: April 25, 2014 5:50:50 am
  • Yeah, one day a guy enters the cbs I was usually going, and he lets Action #1 and Detective #27 on the counter. He explains that his father was on the navy and in one of his journeys he got those two. The guy did not know if they were at all valuable or not. The owner however said to him that they worth a fortune, however he could have, I don't know, buy them for 100 euros, and the guy would have been happy...
  • Posted: April 25, 2014 1:54:37 pm
  • matthewaos said:
    ... The owner however said to him that they worth a fortune, however he could have, I don't know, buy them for 100 euros, and the guy would have been happy...

Why can't people like this walk up to me and do this? Pray
  • Posted: April 26, 2014 10:17:11 am
  • Yeah, what a dissapointment... I mean sure it is not cool to rip off people like that but I don't know, if the guy was asking for say 10 euros each, I would have given to him 150. Everyone would have been happy!
  • Posted: April 26, 2014 12:59:31 pm
  • He would have been happy until later when he somehow found out what they were actually worth... then he would have been decidedly unhappy
12 posts • Page 1 of 2
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 186 days, 23 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Dark Horse Comics's Goon: Them That Don't Stay Dead Issue # 1
  • Allen Thomas's Infinite Uppercut Soft Cover # 4
  • Clover Press, LLC's Kabumpo in Oz Hard Cover # 1
  • Marvel Comics's Marvel Comics Presents Issue # 173