feature requests

Amazing Spider Man 667 (Comic Book Forums)

• Amazing Spider-Man 667

Author Discussion
  • Posted: September 1, 2013 12:58:31 am
  • Just when I thought this book could not go any more crazy that what it was before this item was listed ....

It was listed at 2K BIN but the guy raised the price now to 4K. He claims there are only 100 in existence and 30 were damaged.

I would love to see that email for one because I do believe this variant IS this rare but I am surprised the distributor would confirm such information. A LONG LONG TIME ago Doughboy calculated that this variant had roughly estimated 100 qty. No one can understand why this 1:100 is SO rare. I have a few thoughts...

1. It was released after 666 while everyone was chasing people thought the price would come down and instead it only went up. Now this makes sense but if the "normal" 1:100s were being printing this would be plentiful.

2. I think what MORE likely happened is that once people saw that 666 was coming in previews they bailed on ASM probably saying these variants are crazy. What many of us think and some of us think at times. I THINK the rarity of this book is more likely because of people not ordering as many 667s because 666 made them upset. Thus shortening the preorders and not as many 1:100s was preordered through places like Midtown and all so they cut their orders since they use the funds from the 1:100s to leverage their costs on the common books. This is more like the perfect storm I think.

When these first came out there were slightly damaged copies being sold which backs up this guys comments. I was surprised when he listed it at 2K but to raise it to 4K?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&campid=5336824214&toolid=10001&?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&campid=5336824214&toolid=10001&?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&campid=5336824214&toolid=10001& WOW! If his numbers are true would this be the rarest Amazing Spider-Man ever?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&campid=5336824214&toolid=10001& We are talking 70 to 100 copies in existence here.

Now according to http://www.comichron.com/ there were 71,235 copies of cover A sold which would mean a MAX of 712 copies exists of the 1:100 exist in a perfect world if every shop ordered a 100 copies. 712 is still not that many in general but 100?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&campid=5336824214&toolid=10001&

I know this book as been a hot topic in the past but a 9.8 CGC sold for 1K not long ago, they have been averaging around $700 or so RAW but if this information is true what would a true value of this book be if only 100 OR less exists?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&campid=5336824214&toolid=10001& The ramifications would be only 100 people MAX could have a complete ASM run collection with variants if I am not mistaken.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Amazing-Spider-Man-667-Variant-Only-100-made-RARE-/221276185158?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&campid=5336824214&toolid=10001&pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item338516a246

Last edited September 1, 2013 1:25:32 am
  • Posted: September 1, 2013 1:54:40 am
  • In regards to a complete ASM run, it depends on how you define "variant" since there are so many offshoots and marketing of comics associated with ASM. Does a complete ASM run have to have a copy of a reprint of an issue that came with an action figure, for instance like ASM 301? What about All-Detergent variant ASM 184? If yes, then I'd say there are very few people that have a "complete" ASM run (certainly less than 100). But, getting back on topic, the mentality of "I'll pick it up later for cheaper" was certainly the way I was thinking because it always happened like that. 1) Variant comic is issued, 2) diehards buy it and drive price up for a short time, 3) price drops after a few months 4) completionists pick up and fill out collection. However, step 3) never came about because supply was not there probably because of ASM 666 hangover. There was no reason to think there was anything special about the ASM 667 variant at the time but hindsight is great isn't it.
  • Posted: September 1, 2013 3:28:11 am
  • I've been having an internal debate on whether I want to keep trying to get all variants. I'm missing ~60 or so, but that's not counting #666. Realistically I don't think I will ever get all #666 variants.....so why bother chasing the rest? I mean the bottom line if you have the money you can get it .... and who am I impressing by saying "I have every cover"?

So I started thinking about selling my variants, which includes #667 Otto. I knew I could sell that and the 1:200 #700 and probably make a quick $1000 ..... now after reading this thread it makes me want to keep them all over again Smile I like the idea that I have a comic that rare.

So now I'm still confused, but happy I snagged this variant for $70 after I read a thread here saying how hard it was to find.

EDIT: I guess my opinion will change on this auction. If there is somehow someway this thing sells for even 2000, I'll probably list mine higher as a "Most likely I still get to keep it but if someone does pay, wow!" type of thing.

Last edited September 1, 2013 3:30:05 am
  • Posted: September 1, 2013 8:05:49 am
  • stormraider said:
    In regards to a complete ASM run, it depends on how you define "variant" since there are so many offshoots and marketing of comics associated with ASM. Does a complete ASM run have to have a copy of a reprint of an issue that came with an action figure, for instance like ASM 301? What about All-Detergent variant ASM 184? If yes, then I'd say there are very few people that have a "complete" ASM run (certainly less than 100). But, getting back on topic, the mentality of "I'll pick it up later for cheaper" was certainly the way I was thinking because it always happened like that. 1) Variant comic is issued, 2) diehards buy it and drive price up for a short time, 3) price drops after a few months 4) completionists pick up and fill out collection. However, step 3) never came about because supply was not there probably because of ASM 666 hangover. There was no reason to think there was anything special about the ASM 667 variant at the time but hindsight is great isn't it.

There is nothing special about the book never had been and never will be other than a shortage and its not like it was a BIG issue like 700 its 667 for "Pete's" sake. This was just the odd issue, The Venom Mary Jane is a 1:50 now perhaps the overall sales of that book was down and there was not many printed because there are not hardly any of the 667 1:100 CGC and not as many as you would think of the 678.

To be clear ... the 301 is a TOY reprint "Giveaway" ... the 184 is an ALL "Giveaway" they are not officially distributed variants from the Amazing Spider-Man line from Diamond. I think it is important to define those in the roles those particular books really are.

The cheaper mentality will always be there and will never change they still usually come down in price but since 667 there have been the exceptions. For a die hard collector like me puts a scare into me, it was because of 667 1:100 that I worked even harder to get them all sooner than later because of that off change it was a crazy book again.
  • Posted: September 1, 2013 8:13:51 am
  • abysslord said:
    I've been having an internal debate on whether I want to keep trying to get all variants. I'm missing ~60 or so, but that's not counting #666. Realistically I don't think I will ever get all #666 variants.....so why bother chasing the rest? I mean the bottom line if you have the money you can get it .... and who am I impressing by saying "I have every cover"?

So I started thinking about selling my variants, which includes #667 Otto. I knew I could sell that and the 1:200 #700 and probably make a quick $1000 ..... now after reading this thread it makes me want to keep them all over again Smile I like the idea that I have a comic that rare.

So now I'm still confused, but happy I snagged this variant for $70 after I read a thread here saying how hard it was to find.

EDIT: I guess my opinion will change on this auction. If there is somehow someway this thing sells for even 2000, I'll probably list mine higher as a "Most likely I still get to keep it but if someone does pay, wow!" type of thing.

I would keep it if I were you and keep buying the 666s there are others still trying to complete those sets and here we are 2 years after the fact and many are slowly getting there. Just start knocking them out 1 at a time. Its not about having every cover of ASM for me its a childhood obsession of dreaming to own the "run" which obviously is not what this thread is about. Dreaming of the run turned into including variants and though they are subjective on who counts it at the end of the day its a collection an owner can be proud of no matter if you only have a few books its what is most important to you. If this book is that rare then it very well be worth $10,000 OR more yes the price is crazy but for a main stream title like ASM to have such a short official variant print run and SO many people who want it why can't the price be say $75,000? People will never pay that price now but if what he says is true over time several years why not? The reason it is not now because everyone knows its a newer book and not like an AF 15 but there are a ton of AF 15s out there its not rare just pricey. This is by every definition of the word rare if the statement is true. Especially in the context that ASM is extremely popular and not some back room favorite in a few shops.

Last edited September 1, 2013 8:16:24 am
  • Posted: September 1, 2013 8:38:10 am
  • As much as I want to believe the description this seller has listed in his or her auction, I would need to see an official release from Marvel to believe there were 100 printed. Also, not sure how the shipping side of it works once Marvel has printed them (Marvel sends to Diamond), but wouldn't this person need to have some connection with either Marvel or Diamond to make this type of statement???

Any person can boast a claim or list a "rumor" on their listing, doesn't mean it is factual.

I agree with SA on the breakdown of variants. I definitely consider any book being distributed by Diamond as a variant to be part of the ASM run for those collecting variants. Let's all agree that a complete run should always be further broken down into sub-categories like complete run including all variants or simply no variants or "some" variants. Then you have the "giveaways".

I for one will NEVER include Wizard ACE editions or mini's, but that's just me. If you include the Wizard ACE you may as well also say that every issue of Marvel Tales is a variant for Amazing which is definitely NOT the case.

Again, just my 2 cents. But I think we all can agree that when someone refers to owning a complete run it could be interpreted differently as to how that person defines what a complete run means.

Bottom Line here is just be happy with what you own. Very Happy
  • Posted: September 1, 2013 8:41:22 am
  • LovetheLizard said:
    As much as I want to believe the description this seller has listed in his or her auction, I would need to see an official release from Marvel to believe there were 100 printed. Also, not sure how the shipping side of it works once Marvel has printed them (Marvel sends to Diamond), but wouldn't this person need to have some connection with either Marvel or Diamond to make this type of statement???

Any person can boast a claim or list a "rumor" on their listing, doesn't mean it is factual.

I agree with SA on the breakdown of variants. I definitely consider any book being distributed by Diamond as a variant to be part of the ASM run for those collecting variants. Let's all agree that a complete run should always be further broken down into sub-categories like complete run including all variants or simply no variants or "some" variants. Then you have the "giveaways".

I for one will NEVER include Wizard ACE editions or mini's, but that's just me. If you include the Wizard ACE you may as well also say that every issue of Marvel Tales is a variant for Amazing which is definitely NOT the case.

Again, just my 2 cents. But I think we all can agree that when someone refers to owning a complete run it could be interpreted differently as to how that person defines what a complete run means.

Bottom Line here is just be happy with what you own. Very Happy

I emailed him about his comment and he emailed me and told me "Hello,,,I wrote the distributor in 2011 and that is what they told me,,,I took it off my auction until I find the email to prove it I just haven't found it yet".

Apparently it is still on the item so not sure if he found his email or not.

I don't usually publicly share emails on the Internet but ... I think it was needed in this particular post.

Last edited September 1, 2013 8:42:53 am
  • Posted: September 1, 2013 11:28:11 am
  • SilentAssassin said:
    abysslord said:
    I've been having an internal debate on whether I want to keep trying to get all variants. I'm missing ~60 or so, but that's not counting #666. Realistically I don't think I will ever get all #666 variants.....so why bother chasing the rest? I mean the bottom line if you have the money you can get it .... and who am I impressing by saying "I have every cover"?

I would keep it if I were you and keep buying the 666s there are others still trying to complete those sets and here we are 2 years after the fact and many are slowly getting there. Just start knocking them out 1 at a time.

Yeah that's what I did. If I bought from a seller and they had a 666 variant, I bought it. I haven't sought any out yet, so I only have about 7.

I guess the biggest debate I have is as you say my dream was to have a complete run of ASM. Variants only became a factor when I saw I could get a lot and they're usually not too expensive. But now I sit back and realize getting every cover may be expensive and if I took that money, as well as sold all my variants now, I could probably fill in a LOT of my missing comics 1-100 (I think I'm missing about 50).

As of now I'm sitting on everything. I guess I could still sell my variants but keep the really rare ones for the of it. Who knows.
  • Posted: September 1, 2013 11:32:21 am
  • Well 667 in recent memory is probably the most rare disregard price or what it is worth. If you bought variants your in a good position to do so. I see your point about the run though. Tough decision I believe. Its one of of things where you take time to make the best decision and do what you feel is right but don't look back if you sell it.
  • Posted: September 1, 2013 3:39:02 pm
  • And just since this thread was started the price has been raised to 5.2k.
    I certainly am glad that I have no motivation to own that one. Rarely do I buy books simply because I think they are going to go up in value. And if I was spending 5K on a book it would be because I wanted to own more so than strictly investment. Glad to say this one isnt' for me, you know?
57 posts • Page 1 of 6
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 186 days, 23 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Entropy Enterprises's Entropy Tales Issue # 4
  • Image Comics's Feral Issue # 1kksm
  • Oni Press's Invasive Issue # 4b
  • Marvel Comics's Rise of the Powers of X Issue # 3illum-b