feature requests

Gross error in value (Comic Book Forums)

Author Gross error in value
Posted: January 30, 2013 10:50:06 am
Hey all,
I started a thread earlier today about whether an autograph depletes the value of a rare comic book. It dawned on me afterwrd to also ask this question. How does one go about getting the value changed on a comic book that is grossly under-valued?

I'm referring to X-Men/WildC.A.T.s Dark Age, the Michael Golden/Richard Bennett cover from 5/98. I searched for 14 years for that book and finally found a copy this past September. Please see my Crossovers Anyone? thread for all the details that search. The copy I have is the only one I have ever seen. This book is valued in all priceguides as having approx. the same worth as the Broome/Parsons cover...whick can be found virtually everywhere!

I defy anyone to even find a single scan of this book (in the English language) anywhere on the internet or in ANY book. It is ULTRA ULTRA rare....yet, since it was a 50/50 alternate cover...is grossly undervalued.

Are there steps to take with the various priceguides to correct this?
Posted: January 30, 2013 11:41:32 am
I guess the bottom line is you have to show proof of it being bought at a price. So technically if it's so rare that you can't even find one for sale, I don't know how you would put a price on that .... what number would you put?

I guess you could denote a new symbol which means no price can even be determined, but I think the default is just the cover price + inflation or something.

Posted: January 30, 2013 7:59:59 pm
Plus, value is of course dependent on how many people want the book. Sometimes when you have a supply of one, and its something everyone wants, your value can skyrocket. What I have found to be more the case, however, is that you have to have a supply big enough to keep more than one person interested, thats where value really shoots up.

With a supply of 1, most people just give up and think that it isnt something they want to invest in. Basic supply and demand. If the supply is such that everyone gives up on getting it, then demand goes away, and value is low.
Posted: January 31, 2013 5:41:49 am
I think the main problem I have with this book is that everyone that WAS looking for it back in 1998...just gave up! The priceguides just kept carrying over the value year after year as being the same as the Broome/Parsons cover without noticing that there were none out the.

I'm not sure how many WildC.A.T.s completists there are out there. I do know there are MANY X-Men and Woilverine completists that probably searched high and low for awhile...and finally assumed (like I did) that it never came out!

I believe that if there is no demand for the book...it is for THAT reason. Why would people be looking for a cover that was never printed. During that time period, around June 1998, I spoke with Michael Golden and he hadn't received a copy and he said he always got copies of books he'd done artwork for.

So...I'm not sure how to create demand. Which comes 1st, the chicken or the egg. Must there be a demand for the priceguides to take notice? Or...must the priceguides up the value to increase awareness/demand?

Having this book is like shooting a hole in one on a golf course...looking around...and no one is there to see it!
Posted: January 31, 2013 7:46:07 am
Crossoverking said:

So...I'm not sure how to create demand. Which comes 1st, the chicken or the egg. Must there be a demand for the priceguides to take notice? Or...must the priceguides up the value to increase awareness/demand?

It's the former, there must be a demand for the price guide to change the price. Otherwise little self-published books would be very high due to rarity as well, but not many people want them.

Posted: January 31, 2013 12:51:36 pm
How much is Miracleman 2D/3D worth? Only one known copy and not for sale. I would imagine it would go for a huge sum if hyped by Heritage (lots of british bidders paying in pounds). There is a Dick Tracy book from the thirties that is similar. Only 7 copies (2 incomplete) never ever for sale, so price guide doesn't reflect true value. If it was auctioned by Heritage would fetch a mighty sum. Have you considered contacting someone with some hyping power about it?

I have an independent comic from Guam made by a soldier there and released at the military base. Never seen another one. Wonder what the value is on that.

Last edited January 31, 2013 12:53:24 pm
Posted: January 31, 2013 2:36:20 pm
Well. I dunno. I've probably been assuming too much. I'm sure I wasn't the only one looking for it in 1998. It is an awesome Wolverine cover. I mean...X-Men/WildC.A.T.s was a huge intercompany crossover in its day. I just think it is strange for a major book to be so rare. It probably had a HUGE print run. What happened to all of them? I honestly thought it was an urban legend...until I found it. I've seen at least one site online that declared it never came out.

I'm not looking to sell it, at least not right now. I just was curious as to how to possibly approach some priceguides on it.
Posted: January 31, 2013 2:56:39 pm
That's one of my favorite crossovers ever. It has my 2 favorite artists doing parts of it. I don't really remember it being so hot though. I loved it, reserved it the second it was in previews and bought them and tpb instantly but I never knew anyone else that into it. I'm sure it sold well, but I seriously remember no one talking about it or anything. I mentioned it often but people at stores never cared it seemed. I also remember all the issues sitting on the shelves. It's not expensive in todays standards but then I think the cost turned people off.
I really never knew of the cover you are talking about. I do remember always thinking it was weird that all the issues had 2 cover except for that last part.
Posted: January 31, 2013 2:56:44 pm
Price guides don't set prices they report them, so contacting a price guide is useless. Basically, it is worth what someone is willing to pay and in order for someone to pay allot for it, it would need to be sold by a major person who could get the info out and hype it. At that point the sale would be reported to overstreet and the price would be updated. There is no way to get the priceguide to change the value unless one is reported as sold. You could contact the priceguide about the existence and rarity of it. If they check into it and confirm this information it might be listed as scarce.
Posted: January 31, 2013 3:25:15 pm
Can you post a scan of the cover here? Or put it in the "Missing Issues" section of the forum so we can add it here.

Newest Covers
  • Vital Publications's Captain Fortune Tells Buffalo Bill and the Pony Express Issue nn
  • Harvey's Little Lotta Issue # 16
  • Marvel's New Warriors Issue # 1f
  • Strottman Marketing's The Flintstones Fun Book Issue # 5
Cool Statues
CBR.com Feature Requests - BE HEARD!
Previews
  • Boom Studios: The Midas Flesh - Issue # 5 Cover
  • kaboom!: Peanuts - Issue # 17 Cover
  • kaboom!: Bravest Warriors - Issue # 19 Cover
  • kaboom!: Herobear and the Kid: Saving Time - Issue # 1 Cover
  • kaboom!: Regular Show - Issue # 12 Cover
  • Image: Mice Templar: Legend - Issue # 9 Cover
  • Image: Undertow - Issue # 3 Cover
  • Image: The Manhattan Projects - Issue # 20 Cover
  • Image: Zero - Issue # 7 Cover
  • Image: Dead Body Road - Issue # 5 Cover
  • Image: Protectors, Inc. - Issue # 6 Cover
  • Image: Thief of Thieves - Issue # 20 Cover
  • Image: Skullkickers - Issue # 26 Cover
  • Image: The Saviors - Issue # 4 Cover
  • Image: The Fuse - Issue # 3 Cover
  • Image: Sheltered - Issue # 8 Cover
  • Image: Sovereign - Issue # 2 Cover
  • Image: Lazarus - Issue # 8 Cover
  • Image: Ghosted - Issue # 9 Cover
  • Top Cow: Shotgun Wedding - Issue # 4 Cover
  • Image: Five Ghosts - Issue # 11 Cover
  • Zenescope Entertainment, Inc.: Grimm Fairy Tales Presents: Helsing - Issue # 1 Cover
  • Zenescope Entertainment, Inc.: Grimm Fairy Tales Presents: Code Red - Issue # 5 Cover
  • Zenescope Entertainment, Inc.: Grimm Fairy Tales Presents: Wonderland - Issue # 22 Cover
  • Marvel: What If? Age of Ultron - Issue # 4 Cover
  • Marvel: Thunderbolts - Issue # 25 Cover
  • Marvel: Dexter: Down Under - Issue # 3 Cover
  • Marvel: Avengers: Undercover - Issue # 3 Cover
  • Marvel: Guardians of the Galaxy - Issue # 14 Cover
  • Marvel: Daredevil - Issue # 2 Cover
  • Marvel: Savage Wolverine - Issue # 17 Cover
  • Marvel: Elektra - Issue # 1 Cover
  • Marvel: Original Sin - Issue # 0 Cover
  • Marvel: All-New Invaders - Issue # 4 Cover
  • Marvel: Uncanny Avengers - Issue # 19 Cover
  • Marvel: Superior Spider-Man Team-Up - Issue # 12 Cover