feature requests

Ditko or Kirby, which do you prefer? (Comic Book Forums)

Author Ditko or Kirby, which do you prefer?
Posted: December 30, 2012 9:41:11 pm
O.k., Kirby or Ditko, which one resonates more with you?

Jack Kirby

Steve Ditko
fsjeter's John Romita Sr Spider Man Covers album on Photobucket
Posted: December 30, 2012 9:46:53 pm
There isn't much difference in the way they both draw Spider-man. The webbing under the arms is a nice touch in Kirby's cover but I like the finer webbing throughout Ditko's suit. For me, the overall cover goes to Ditko. I prefer the scale, intricacy, and work of the other characters in the cover (man looking out the window is definately a nice touch).
Posted: December 31, 2012 4:59:15 am
Kirby's cover. Mainly because it's so iconic to me. If I ever think of the Spider-man cover that image always pops in my head first. Plus I think Ditko's has too much yellow in it. Most of his cover I don't like how it's colored. Also Spider-mans left leg looks weird like it wouldn't connect to his body. Like the hip goes out an extra 9 inches from his torso. And it looks like he's swinging himself and that guy straight into that wall.
Posted: December 31, 2012 6:53:53 am
Between those covers I would take Kirby for sure. As far as their overall styles I'd also have to go with Kirby.
"You will soon see the distinct advantages of having no scruples whatsoever!" - Cobra Commander
Posted: December 31, 2012 7:44:18 am
In general, I'd go Ditko almost everytime. Kirby was prolific, and a fan favorite in his hay-day, but I really don't think he was all that. Sure, he had his inovations that he was known for, but it just wasn't for me.
Posted: December 31, 2012 10:26:16 pm
Kirby all the way for me. They both look great but Kirby's cover is legendary.
Posted: January 1, 2013 1:14:52 am
KIRBY Very Happy
ImageImage
Posted: January 1, 2013 6:04:43 am
Kirby for sure. Never really was a huge Ditko fan. Kirby's work on his DC titles like Omac, Komandi and the New Gods gave me huge amounts of respect for the man.
Posted: January 1, 2013 6:39:44 am
I would have to go with Kirby. I just think it has a better look to it.
Posted: January 2, 2013 2:52:22 pm
I'd go with the Kirby cover, but i like Ditkos style overall.
Posted: January 2, 2013 2:55:09 pm
Deadpoolfan said:
Kirby for sure. Never really was a huge Ditko fan. Kirby's work on his DC titles like Omac, Komandi and the New Gods gave me huge amounts of respect for the man.

Seriously? I think that's when Kirby's artwork started to suck. JMO.
I liked Kirby and thought he was at his best when he was drawing Journey into Mystery and very early Mighty Thor
Posted: January 2, 2013 7:15:18 pm
I have bought many, many comicbooks by both artists and love their work. I have had the great privilege to have met them both and talked with them. Jack Kirby has always been my favorite artist and I will go with the Kirby version. I'm glad a lot of the old guys lived long enough to have their work really appreciated. And I always make a point of letting them know that whenever I get a chance. Being a comicbook artist wasn't a very prestigious job back in the day.

Wolf

Last edited January 2, 2013 7:19:36 pm
Posted: January 2, 2013 9:10:54 pm
Kirby for me, but I think that may partly be because its the iconic cover, and I will always view the ditko as new, even if it is "long lost."
Posted: April 10, 2013 12:58:59 pm
In general I go with Kirby every time. Though for these covers I prefer the Ditko cover. Putting aside all sentimentality and iconic status, and strictly from an artistic POV, Spidey's right leg on the Kirby cover always bugged me. The proportion is all wrong. If the baddie he's carrying weren't there, it may work. But with him on Spidey's hip, it makes his leg too short and skinny.

So to answer this question- Ditko
Standing now before her eyes, wings expanding. She's going to die,
Belching blue-green fire- Flesh meets the desire,
The Serpent God's apocalyptic smile.
"Come to me my demon brother!
Of us both, and our Father!
A failure of creation, abomination!"
Posted: April 11, 2013 6:11:02 pm
I'd have to say Kirby overall.
The joy is in the journey, not just the destination.

Latest buys: Batman (Golden Age) 7, 8, 17, 13, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 26, 28, 35, 37, 40, 42, 50, 65; Weird Fantasy 16; Haunt of Fear 1, 27; Weird Science 3; Tales From The Crypt 20, 21, 22; All Star 10, 16, 45; Crypt of Terror 17, 18; Detective 49;
Posted: April 12, 2013 3:14:27 am
Ditko. I like his level of detail and in all honesty i was never much of the armpit webs fan. He is a spider-MAN not a spider-MONKKEY Razz

_ edit I may be thinking about those flying squirrels. If you know the ones i am talking about? Anyways whatever not a fan of the armpit webs.

Last edited April 12, 2013 3:17:42 am
Posted: April 12, 2013 5:08:06 pm
O.k. gravitating away from that iconic cover and looking at styles, I'm still inclined to go with Ditko. Here is early artwork from both:

Fantastic Four covers (Kirby) #1 - 8

Amazing Spider-man covers (Ditko) #1 - 8

Posted: April 15, 2013 9:20:09 am
Are those your scans from your personal collection? If so, very impressive
Posted: April 15, 2013 10:46:04 am
STEVE DITKO!

Nuff said.

Will always admire King Kirby too.

God bless.

Peace.

Very Happy