feature requests

Crossovers anyone? (Comic Book Forums)

• Crossovers anyone?

Author Discussion
  • Posted: October 18, 2012 7:20:10 am
  • Hi. I'm new to this site...pretty awesome! I'm Jerry Hopfer from Johnstown, PA and have an unusual genre that I collect in...20th century intercompany crossovers. I'm not sure how to kick off this thread other than by asking...is there anyone else out there that collects intercompany crossovers also?

I have every one that I know of...but am always looking for anything I may have missed along the way. So far, I have identified (again...just 20th century) 338 intercompany crossovers, 220 alternate covers, 23 trade paperbacks, 10 non-ashcan previews, 9 non-ashcan preview alternate covers, 10 ashcans, 2 ashcan alternate covers, 5 reprints, 2 paperbacks and 1 hardcover...620 intercompany crossover books altogether.

Does anyone want to discuss in this area? If you also research in this area...please reply!

Last edited October 27, 2012 4:21:58 pm
  • Posted: October 18, 2012 8:43:15 am
  • I can't imagine how hard that research could have been, unless there is a database/list somewhere? I can say I've never heard of anyone collecting this specifically, it's actually kind of cool but I have no other input or help Smile
  • Posted: October 18, 2012 10:47:24 am
  • Finally! A reply!! Thank you. yes...a LOT of research. When I startd this project in 1996...I knew nothing about any publishers other than DC, Marvel and Archie. I would like to see this thread be anything about intercompany crossovers.
  • Posted: October 18, 2012 12:42:37 pm
  • Off the top of my head, I couldn't tell you how many intercompay crossover comics I have - still trying to catalog all my comics onto this site, about half done. The only ones I have are between Marvel/DC, Marvel/Image, DC/Image, and some Marvel or DC with Malibu and Dark Horse.

What comic is your earliest intercompany crossover?
  • Posted: October 18, 2012 12:42:40 pm
  • Here is a "PS" to my reply, as I was at work when I typed that...and didn't have the time. There is no accurate database for this type of research. I had to read previews cover to cover each month and priceguides...cover to cover. I had to ask a LOT of questions initially, as...prior to 1995 I hadn't bought a comic book since 1970! Sooooo much had changed. I started with DC/Marvel crossovers and...when I thought I'd had all of those decided I wanted every intercompany crossover from all companies. THAT was a can of worms. If I'd known the work (and money) involved in advance, I wouldn't have done it. I'm glad I didn't know, as the collection has given me a lot of satisfaction.

I also collect intercompany crossover promo cards and trading cards, promo and retail posters and misc. promo materials and "stuff." How many people have a Batman/Judge Dredd mobile, Superman/Madman cut out dolls or and unopened Ironman/XO Manowar Heavy metal PC game...or a Lobo/Mask mask?!?

I've had to buy many crossovers that I hated to buy...but had to (because they were crossovers). But...I have a lot that would make some completionists salivate.

So...anything and everything about intercompany crossovers...questions, comments, reviews? I'm working on a book on the topic...and always love ideas and input from fellow collectors.
  • Posted: October 18, 2012 1:02:21 pm
  • The earliest intercompany crossover I have is Superman Vs The Amazing Spider-Man from 1976. Some consider All Star Comics #3 to be the earliest but I'm inclined to disagree. Since all characters were published under the same banner, I consider it more of (what would be considered by modern standards) an intra-company crossover. Also...many believe Marvel Treasury Edition Superman and Spider-Man #28 to be the next one after Supes/Spidey from 1976. However, there were 2 between those...Magazineland USA from 6/77 and Pow! Biff! Pops! from 1978. More on those if there is interest.

Hopefully I'll hear back from you and others!
  • Posted: October 18, 2012 2:16:03 pm
  • Interesting. I kinda dig it. I have a few of these i've collected over the years, just form characters that i like.

Don't forget about this classic crossover. (it has 2 covers)

• Posted: October 18, 2012 2:53:16 pm
  • Maybe this will get you some pretty good info?

Crossover Comix
    fsjeter's John Romita Sr Spider Man Covers album on Photobucket
  • Posted: October 18, 2012 7:38:04 pm
  • Hey man, that sounds like an awesome collection. Congrats.

Ive always kind of felt the more work that goes into the collection, the more satisfying it is to have. To me, the work is more important than the cost.

Its why I kind of think its more fun to buy a collection and back issues piece by piece for good prices, than to just buy a complete run. More satisfaction when you put it together piece by piece.
  • Posted: October 18, 2012 7:43:39 pm
  • That's a cool idea. Are you going to enter them into the database here?
368 posts • Page 1 of 37
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 186 days, 23 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Marvel Comics's Jackpot and Black Cat Issue # 1j
  • Evoluzione Publishing's Ma’ari Issue # 1
  • Ab3 12c Ent.'s The Nefarious Smyths Issue # 3
  • DC Comics's Wednesday Comics Issue # 1-2nd print