feature requests

Amazing Spider Man completists.... (Comic Book Forums)

• Amazing Spider-Man completists....

Author Discussion
  • Posted: March 18, 2015 9:08:51 pm
  • ...until the inevitable reboot/relaunch.
  • Posted: March 19, 2015 7:11:01 am
  • Come on man! I don't want to do this again. I am so sick of this. How many times are they going to have another #1 with a variant chase?This may deter me from collecting new issues and just hunt for old and be done with it.
  • Posted: March 19, 2015 7:29:31 am
  • They will keep doing it as long as everyone keeps buying. I have thought the best way to send a message is to get long time collectors to agree to not buy a certain book. But the problem with that is all we are hurting is the LCS. With orders due 3 months in advance we would have to essentially not buy 3 issues to show the Publisher we don't like what they are doing.

The variants are likely keeping the titles viable anymore. If people would refuse to buy the variants we would be back to the glut era with too many comics. But every time you buy a $10 variant (1:10) you essentially paid for 5 regular covers. This means if the store ordered 10 comics and sold the variant they just need to sell 2 regular covers to break even. If they don't sell the variant they need to sell 5 of the 10 regular covers to break even. This is all with simple math on a $3.99 comic.
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

Hunting for (mainly reprints/variants) - Please help! - See My Profile
  • Posted: March 19, 2015 7:41:51 am
  • The problem with that is IMO, that we boycott said issues and send the message, those variants that weren't bought go scarce and become the hottest thing out and they'll go for crazy money. It's a catch 22.
  • Posted: March 19, 2015 7:45:30 am
  • Eventually people will give in and buy the variants...but maybe only for cover price, or maybe double...not what they go for now. Then stores will not order extra comics just to get the variants and the publishers won't bother printing them, etc.
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

Hunting for (mainly reprints/variants) - Please help! - See My Profile
  • Posted: March 19, 2015 8:31:13 am
  • The problem isn't the collectors, it's the speculators and the guys that buy them for the sole purpose of flipping them to make a profit. If people quit buying over priced variants on ebay and elsewhere they will eventually go away like they did in the 90's.
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: April 2, 2015 1:48:23 am
  • So here we go again...

What I have been able to learn so far for issue #1...

Amazing Spider-man Renew Your Vows - Regular
    Amazing Spider-man Renew Your Vows - Christopher Action Figure
    Amazing Spider-man Renew Your Vows - 1:15 Maos
    Amazing Spider-man Renew Your Vows - 1:15 Ant Sized
    Amazing Spider-man Renew Your Vows - 1:25 Variant
    Amazing Spider-man Renew Your Vows - 1:50 Campbell
    Amazing Spider-man Renew Your Vows - Young Variant
    Amazing Spider-man Renew Your Vows - Blank Variant
    Amazing Spider-man Renew Your Vows - Midtown Mark Brooks
    Amazing Spider-man Renew Your Vows - ComicXposure Variant
    Amazing Spider-man Renew Your Vows - Ltd Edt Legacy Variant

On your marks... get set...

Last edited April 2, 2015 1:49:48 am
  • Posted: April 2, 2015 11:14:23 am
  • For me, this wont matter as it is NOT Amazing Spiderman Man but a mini series or even perhaps the start of a new title. However and again, it is NOT ASM . Then again, I have to be honest, I am really starting to burn out and just will never again spend that kinda cash on number 1s or variants like I have in the past..
  • Posted: April 2, 2015 4:16:04 pm
  • I'm also bailing out on this one as it's a mini series. I'm feeling that even if they restart (again) following Secret Wars I will not get drawn in again. Costs are just way too high and to be honest the quality of the artwork has almost been lazy, we just have to get the covers because..... So my collection will now be striving towards pre Secret Wars completism which should keep me occupied for a while and be a lot more fulfilling!!
  • Posted: April 3, 2015 2:44:45 am
  • Happy to say I was never much into the variant cover thing. The fact I never had too much money and had many titles to collect may have also had something to do with it. The only variant covers I have are the ones that were sold for cover price and just came out with the weekly comics back in the 90's. They were not priced higher, at least not the ones I found, and when my comic shop retailer filled our orders sometimes we got a variant and mostly not. I was always more interested in the story than any cover gimmicks anyway.
    Tenzil
875 posts • Page 1 of 88
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 186 days, 23 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • DC Comics's Alan Scott: The Green Lantern Issue # 5d
  • Marvel Comics's Edge of Spider-Verse Issue # 2e
  • Marvel Comics's Miles Morales: Spider-Man Issue # 18h
  • IDW Publishing's Star Trek: The Motion Picture - Echoes TPB # 1