feature requests

Oh Marvel Subscriptions How I Loath Thee .. (Comic Book Forums)

Author Oh Marvel Subscriptions How I Loath Thee ..
Posted: November 16, 2011 10:33:29 am
ok many of you have probably heard me and my input on subscriptions and how many of my marvel books come in damaged.

I got about 6 issues in the mail the other day (after not visiting the PO Box for several days mind you) 3 issues were from marvel and the other 3 were from dc... all three of my marvel issues came in damaged. all three of my dc comics came in with no problem. Laughing .

now i do not mind this so much (which i probably should more) but most of the problems deal with corners that are in rough shape from being mishandled. I had my copy of X-Men #20 come in and it looked as though it had been cut or torn about half an inch through the top and it damaged all the pages.

i originally thought that my subscriptions came in damaged because the post office people just toss mail around left and right. but that would not explain why my dc comics come in and they are in great condition almost all the time while my marvel ones always look like crap.
Marvel sends their subscriptions with a subscription card (for reinforcement among other things) that is about the same toughness as maybe an index card? The subscription card that dc sends in is about as tough as a normal piece of paper. So technically marvel books are better protected.

this leads me to believe that they are mishandled when they are packaged and delivered by whoever distributes the subscription and not by the post office guys and gals.

well going back to the issue of x-men 20.
this is the request i sent them:
"my issue of X-Men #20 arrived in really bad shape. it is ripped at the top of the book and the lower right corner is severely bent. can you please send me a replacement copy"

their response not only made me laugh but made me angry. Laughing i have been subscribed to x-men since issue 10 and they are trying to explain to me that i should not have recieved issue 20. from what i got it is almost as if they implied that i was lying Evil or Very MadShame on you here is the response that i am talking about:

"In researching your account, our records indicate that you subscription runs from issue #22 to issue #31. The issue that you had requested falls outside of your subscription term. Unfortunately, we are unable to process your request for this issue."

so this is my reply (trying to be as nice as possible):
"My subscription started at issue 10 actually and was supposed to end at issue 21 but was extended to issue 31 because another subscription ended (do not remember which one specifically as i have had several end) and the remaining issues from that subscription moved over to X-Men. This issue does fall in my subscription term and your records should show that i am not sure why it shows otherwise.
Besides if my subscription term ran from issue 22-31 as you stated that is a subscription term of 10 issues but your subscriptions run for 12 issues so that should be an indication that something has changed; such as what i have mentioned above
"

so end of the story is that they smartened up and are sending my replacement copy

moral of the story? only comic worth subscribing to through Marvel is Amazing Spider-Man because of the price. all other comics end up just being a waste of money. If you want to go through DC though i recommend them instead
Posted: November 16, 2011 12:12:16 pm
That is solely why I go to my LCS. I have an in-house susbcription and have NO complaints. Any special orders, they order for me and I pick it up through them. If there's any problems, they take care of it.
Posted: November 16, 2011 1:01:06 pm
That's why I'll never order from Marvel or DC even if they're better than marvel. The place I use, scifigenre.com, and DCBS offer discounts that are better or close to what you're getting from Marvel, the books come in undamaged, and customer service is excellent. I've heard it's good for DCBS but I can personally say scifigenre has unbelievable customer service.

I had 10 or so issues with bent corners from the box being damaged, they replaced them no problem and I could even keep the bad ones. Can't ask for much more than that.

Glad you got your replacement copy but it's going through the same channels that the previous one did, so cross your fingers Smile
Posted: November 16, 2011 1:06:40 pm
well i am not renewing any of my subscriptions (except amazing spider-man) after having to deal with this everytime.

I bought all the DC52 from DCBS when they had that deal going on for the #1's and i really like their service but i do not know if i can wait till the end of the month to get the comics Laughing

i usually buy books from midtown comics. the comics are always cheaper than cover price (2.99 books are 2.54 and 3.99 books are 3.39) and they ship weekly. they also usually arrive on the friday after the wednesday release which is what i like the most but that might be because of my location (midtown is NYC and i am in buffalo)

i am open to other locations as long as the prices are cheap and they ship at least twice a month
Posted: November 16, 2011 1:29:10 pm
puinno said:
well i am not renewing any of my subscriptions (except amazing spider-man) after having to deal with this everytime.

I bought all the DC52 from DCBS when they had that deal going on for the #1's and i really like their service but i do not know if i can wait till the end of the month to get the comics Laughing

i usually buy books from midtown comics. the comics are always cheaper than cover price (2.99 books are 2.54 and 3.99 books are 3.39) and they ship weekly. they also usually arrive on the friday after the wednesday release which is what i like the most but that might be because of my location (midtown is NYC and i am in buffalo)

i am open to other locations as long as the prices are cheap and they ship at least twice a month

Can't DCBS ship weekly? I thought they could, of course then you eat into your savings. Plus you have to pay for bags/boards.

Scifigenre, bags/boards are free and you can set your shipping to whenever you want ... manually pick a week or choose weekly, bi-weekly, etc. or even by dollar amount. I use the priority shipping, which is FedEx, it's usually $11 and I get the books on Friday. $11 seems high but any damage is covered and they will credit you or replace it, and I save around $60 a shipment so using 11 for shipping isn't bad for me. Of course that's by weight too, if you had 6 comics shipping I'm sure it'd be cheaper, it's just I usually have 50 every two weeks.
Posted: November 16, 2011 1:32:29 pm
this is another reason why i like midtown comics. shipping is free and they also bag and board all comics for no additional cost.
Posted: November 16, 2011 2:48:51 pm
puinno said:
this is another reason why i like midtown comics. shipping is free and they also bag and board all comics for no additional cost.

But you're not getting a very good discount are you? I looked at them and it seems to get the best discount you have to order like you do with DCBS, months in advance. I like getting 35% off and being able to add/drop any time and only paying for what is shipped. The idea of paying for Infinite Vacation #4 and waiting 5 months before getting that money back bothers me Smile
Posted: November 16, 2011 2:55:53 pm
abysslord said:
puinno said:
But you're not getting a very good discount are you? I looked at them and it seems to get the best discount you have to order like you do with DCBS, months in advance. I like getting 35% off and being able to add/drop any time and only paying for what is shipped. The idea of paying for Infinite Vacation #4 and waiting 5 months before getting that money back bothers me Smile

well it is definitely not the best discount out there but i figured that it made up for it with the free shipping and fast delivery. if dcbs shipped often enough i would probably order from them since i had a good experience ordering from them before. i will have to investigate.

and infinite vacation is an awesome book! Dancing
Posted: November 16, 2011 9:59:41 pm
After hearing all the horror stories about Marvel I decided to buy from DCBS and LCS. Its terrible that you have to jump through all the hoops just to get a comic you bought from them that basically cost them nothing to get a replacement. If they do not want to replace any books then they should not ship out the books in crappy packing.

I do not like waiting a whole month for my books but if its cost effective then I will do it. I got so where I am starting to go to the LCS once a month just to save on gas etc.
Posted: November 16, 2011 10:31:06 pm
in all my years collecting comics i've never tried a subscrption service.
heard too many horror stories.
Posted: November 17, 2011 9:41:45 am
That's why I'm glad I have 2 comic shops in my area. If I miss a book at one shop,I KNOW the other shop will have it.Although I have ordered form mycomicshop.com (ie Wolverine # 900) & it arrived in PERFECT condition due to the packaging & 2 pieces of cardboard on each side of the book.
Posted: November 17, 2011 11:10:44 am
ComixGuru71 said:
That's why I'm glad I have 2 comic shops in my area. If I miss a book at one shop,I KNOW the other shop will have it.Although I have ordered form mycomicshop.com (ie Wolverine # 900) & it arrived in PERFECT condition due to the packaging & 2 pieces of cardboard on each side of the book.

unfortunately, the 2 closest comic shops for me are about an hour and a half away.
i'm using a comic shop out of state that will send me my books once a month.
thing is, there always seems to be a problem when i order books that are not marvel or DC.

Newest Covers
  • BOOM! Studios's Clive Barker's Hellraiser: The Dark Watch TPB # 2
  • DC Comics's Deathstroke Issue # 1c
  • Image's Roche Limit Issue # 1d
  • Oni Press's Stumptown Issue # 2
Cool Statues
CBR.com Feature Requests - BE HEARD!
Recently Rated
DC Comics's Superman Issue # 695
This comic was rated 3.0000 stars by 2 members
Superman
Issue # 695