feature requests

2016 Overstreet Price Guide (Comic Book Forums)

• 2016 Overstreet Price Guide

Author Discussion
  • Posted: July 22, 2016 6:29:03 pm
  • I just cracked open the new 2016 Overstreet price guide that came out Wednesday, and I'm still floored that most keys and popular titles are so tremendously under-valued, sometimes by as much as 50%. Here are some examples:
    Action #252, 1st Supergirl, 6.0=$1750 (add $1,500) [CBR value=$3,600]
    Action #242, 1st Brainiac, 6.0= $1,200 (double this number at a minimum) [CBR= $1950]
    G.I. Combat #87, 1st Haunted Tank, 6.0= $498 (at least an $800 book) [CBR=$900]
    Amazing Spider-man #14, 1st Green Goblin, 6.0=$558 Huh??? ($1,000 minimum) [CBR=$1500]
    Flash #123, 1st DC Dimensional Time Travel, 6.0=$558 ?Are you kidding me? [CBR=$1,440]
    Silver Surfer #1, 8.0=$432??? Seriously?!? [CBR=$1,360]
    Ironman #1, 8.0=$600 ridiculous! [CBR=$1,062.50]

These are just some sample values. I would buy these books at their Overstreet prices ALL DAY LONG if I could find any for sale. My advice, don't use Overstreet, stick with Comic Book Realm, which is much, much closer to reality when it comes to the value of your collection.

There is no excuse for such low ball numbers coming from Overstreet.Shame on you
  • Posted: July 22, 2016 8:30:12 pm
  • well just remember that overstreet is about 6 mos-1yr behind due to publication. so they will always be behind. here we monitor pricing almost on a daily basis...at minimum monthly
    "How to destroy a man... Grant him his heart's desire." --Victor Von Doom
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Latest Additions
    Secret Wars #1 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... Cameo Emperor Doom!!
    Secret Wars #2 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... 1st full app of Emperor Doom!!!
  • Posted: July 22, 2016 10:21:11 pm
  • I've often heard that delay excuse of print versus digital to explain low values, but in all honesty, comic book prices are really not that volatile except when major movie, tv show, and comic book title announcements are made. If you look closely at all of the examples I've listed, that small sample has been relatively stable over the last 12 months in spite of the overwhelming popularity of the Supergirl and Flash TV shows. So the delay argument Overstreet defenders often make rings hollow for me. CBR is still more accurate and my insurance company accepted the CBR values I submitted when I had a portion of my comic collection stolen last year. Another great reason to support this site.

• Posted: August 9, 2016 11:54:28 pm
  • I'm not buying an Overstreet this year. I only buy one every 5 years. Just curious, did they update the photos of the Overstreet Advisors? Some of those photos haven't changed in over 20 years. Makes you think if they can't be bothered to the update photos then how accurate are the prices ? Sometimes I think the Overstreet is just a yearly rehashing with some minor tweaks so they can sell it year after year. When you really think about it, the bulk of the work is already done.
  • Posted: August 10, 2016 2:05:28 am
  • With all the on-line resources available I believe that the Overstreet Guide may have lost it's relevance. I think those that buy it buy it out of habit maybe, but I've never bought or owned one at all.

This is generally my only source for prices, which I admit may not always be "correct", but then again comic prices are not like stock prices that are traded on a central exchange. Prices generally trend up, trend down or find some kind of stable level that they hang around at.

. . . at the very least, because I have one source my prices will be consistent with this one source and I know that everyone here puts a heck of a lot of time, love and effort into making this site awesome.

That's all the validation I need.
  • Posted: August 10, 2016 4:52:10 am
  • I think they try to stay conservative. Maybe they aren't sure that these prices will hold after skyrocketing these past few years.
    To use the stock market analogy: They are kind of like boring Warren Buffet telling you to buy & hold a blue chip while Jim Cramer is screaming at you to load up!
    Visit Still Only 35 Cents at https://www.ebay.com/usr/stillonly35cents!
    Follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/stillonly35cents/
  • Posted: August 11, 2016 2:07:27 am
  • ironagecomics said:
    To use the stock market analogy: They are kind of like boring Warren Buffet telling you to buy & hold a blue chip while Jim Cramer is screaming at you to load up!

LOL
  • Posted: October 28, 2016 8:31:41 am
  • It sounds like there averaging value for the year. If they do that there data will be inaccurate, and wont show the latest values...Think
  • Posted: October 28, 2016 6:37:16 pm
  • i bought the 2016 as well and am using it to update our core pricing here on the site. I fully agree, like ironage said, that they seem to stay pretty conservative. the trend i have noticed tho is that it seems they use percentages to increase their pricing as opposed to actual market data, but i could be wrong. as i stated a couple months back, i am using it to update older books mainly because i believe they are close (not dead on) on their assessment of older books, but the currents i feel they are off.

also i love everything that genesis said, except i dont think it an unnecessary publication. They print 3 different books for each cover (hard cover, soft cover, and spiral). Ive been to many many shows and ill tell you, every vendor there has a spiral overstreet they price from lol

here is another thing to also consider...here we use 9.4 (NM) as the default price...overstreet uses 9.2 (NM-)

Last edited October 28, 2016 6:49:53 pm
    "How to destroy a man... Grant him his heart's desire." --Victor Von Doom
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Latest Additions
    Secret Wars #1 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... Cameo Emperor Doom!!
    Secret Wars #2 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... 1st full app of Emperor Doom!!!
  • Posted: December 3, 2016 7:00:06 pm
  • stormraider said:
    I'm not buying an Overstreet this year. I only buy one every 5 years. Just curious, did they update the photos of the Overstreet Advisors? Some of those photos haven't changed in over 20 years. Makes you think if they can't be bothered to the update photos then how accurate are the prices ? Sometimes I think the Overstreet is just a yearly rehashing with some minor tweaks so they can sell it year after year. When you really think about it, the bulk of the work is already done.

you hit the nail on the head... totally agreeVery Happy
13 posts • Page 1 of 2
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 190 days, 18 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Street Noise Books's Crazy Like a Fox: Adventures in Schizophrenia Soft Cover # 1
  • Marvel Comics's Daredevil Issue # 7e
  • David Heath Jr.'s No Sex Issue # 5
  • Marvel Comics's The Incredible Hulk Issue # 10