feature requests

DC movies: Suicide Squad & early comics! (Comic Book Forums)

• DC movies: Suicide Squad & early comics!

Author Discussion
  • Posted: October 17, 2014 10:21:15 pm
  • With the announcements of the DC movie line up it is now official that Suicide Squad is going to be made. This will undoubtedly increase interest in quite a few Suicide Squad first and early appearances. Which issues do you think will heat up the most prior to the movie release in 2016? Are there too many printed copies of Legends #3 and Suicide Squad #1 from the late eighties to be worth purchasing or will the demand from the movie and increased popularity outpace the quantity of issues available? Should collectors just bypass the 80’s issues and go after the gold, silver and bronze age first appearances of Suicide Squad characters or are those issues already close to the ceiling of what they will be worth when movie releases? What are your thoughts on the movie announcement and the hype that always follows and where you think it will take certain books?
  • Posted: October 17, 2014 11:08:16 pm
  • I think Legends 3 will go up, since their first original appearance is from 1959 and very few people are going to be able to either afford it or find it in high grade.

I bought Legends 1-6 at a con for $2 each just in case a few weeks ago.
  • Posted: October 17, 2014 11:40:33 pm
  • Good purchase on the Legends books for $2!! I still have mine from purchasing new way back when. The Suicide Squad from the Brave and Bold series may see some interest but since that particular group only shares the name it may be limited. From what I remember they were more of a band of adventurers. Not really super heroes or Villians. They do share the name though so you never know. I'm thinking books like Detective 474 may see the most interest since it is the first modern Deadshot and the first Deadshot since the golden age.
  • Posted: October 19, 2014 6:17:08 pm
  • Yeah, Legends #3 certainly is trending up! It is amazing to me books that could be found anywhere, cheaply for a long time gain enough demand overnight to dramatically increase the price. Even though there is a large amount of issues out there. I still remember when I first started collecting, Wolverine was just starting to gain momentum and just about every comic shop had multiple issues of Hulk 181 in the bins. A lot of people were talking about how it would go up but never be worth “too much” because there were so many copies around. Well, demand eventually overtook supply by the late 80’s and wolverine kept getting more and more popular, so of course the price kept going up and up. I don’t think Legends #3 will offer the same return, but could certainly go up relatively high, especially if the movie is good and sequels are potentially made. I purchased the Legends mini series when it first came out, but even at $20 to $30 for a NM issue today it seems like a good price considering the huge amount of interest. By the time this movie comes out I can see Legends #3 in the $100 range for a NM. Still blows my mind since there are so many out there, but again, supply and demand.
  • Posted: October 20, 2014 7:32:48 pm
  • Same goes for many other comics out there. New Mutants 98? Must have a huge print run but it routinely sells for $200 these days.
  • Posted: October 21, 2014 2:01:32 am
  • Exactly. Looks to be that when a highly anticipated movie is released It brings in much more than the standard comic book collector. It brings in a lot of people that just want a piece of the first appearance as an investment as well as bringing in a whole new wave of first time collectors. The movies are also binging in interest from overseas collectors. Much more than there was before. All that adds up to books like legends eventually running into short supply. Even though there were many to be found three to four weeks ago for $2 to $3 in NM, that isn't the case anymore. $25 is the average for a NM now and that will climb. Good for those who got a bunch a little while ago and still time for collectors to get a nice book that will be in insane demand the months leading up to the films release without breaking the bank. That time frame won't last terribly long though.
  • Posted: November 14, 2014 11:30:27 pm
  • Suicide Squad Vol 3 #1 is selling for over $60!
  • Posted: June 18, 2015 12:19:35 am
  • As probably noticed by now, it appears that there is not a single hot book. Rather a series of first appearances since the team is not an ongoing lineup. This makes it hard to stay ahead of since no one really knows which character is up next, and if they will even survive the movie since some do not even survive an issue. Plus, who knows where they will pull a character from, anyway?

Slipknot, anyone...anyone? (Okay, it is Fury of Firestorm #28 (1984) if you did not know - I had to look it up!)

I think we can guess a few characters who will make it through to the next film (as there will probably be one), but most of the characters I think are quick turn books. IMHO: find 'em cheap and set 'em free. I do not think many of the books will retain values we are seeing now. SS Vol 3 #1 and Vol 1 #1 (the black cover from the 80s) maybe will keep value. Seems like Vol 3 is the basis group, so it is getting steam like GotG did before their film, and that might keep value there.

@Nightrob - I definitely hope you are right with the prices, but I think those will be for CGC copies as that way people will know the grade. Since there are so many, the cost will probably stay down on the raw copies. Plus, I am not sure how relevant that team is to the movie. Most movie fans do not know back issue history. They know what they just saw. Clearly that is a broad stroke.

I am extremely excited for the film, but that is a fanboy talking. As a collector, I am personally not worried about chasing hype. If I already have the issues though...no complaints for them rising in value Smile

- Craig Coffman
10 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 186 days, 23 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • DC Comics's Detective Comics Issue # 1083c
  • Sofawolf Press's Heat Soft Cover # 11
  • Walking Carnival's Johnny Grav & The Visioneer Issue # 2
  • Marvel Comics's Star Wars: Dark Droids TPB # 1