feature requests

underdog 1st appearances or key issues (Comic Book Forums)

• underdog 1st appearances or key issues

Author Discussion
  • Posted: November 10, 2013 10:00:03 am
  • We all know that new mutants 98 and amazing Spiderman 300 goes for top dollar in today market
    I'm not talking about them.....
    what I'm talking about undervalued and cheap appearances that may be worth down the road.

first up:
    Booster gold #1 (1st series) 1st appearance of booster gold - very popular charater in dcu reminds me a lot of
    deadpool -without the killing. DC need to realize this characterii has huge potential if given his own series.

Savage she hulk #1 (1st series) 1st appearance of she-hulk lot copies out there major character my eyes she done it all in the marvel universe. if she get into the movies or tv this book will rise.

web of spiderman #18 first venom cameo - a lot people don't know this but that hand that pushes Peter in front of the train......yup that venom!

Superman man of steel #17- speaking of hands doomsday lends one on the last panel still very cheap .

ALIAS # 1 marvel MAX -other day i learned netflix was making marvel series for their service luke cage squeeze jessica jones was getting her own series snag a copy if you can.

well that some issues to look for .....it speculation so have fun finding them.
  • Posted: April 9, 2014 4:07:20 pm
  • I agree with booster gold #1 but I don't know enough about the rest to give a opinion
  • Posted: September 20, 2014 3:38:59 pm
  • One Wolf Gun said:
    We all know that new mutants 98 and amazing Spiderman 300 goes for top dollar in today market
    I'm not talking about them.....
    what I'm talking about undervalued and cheap appearances that may be worth down the road.

first up:
    Booster gold #1 (1st series) 1st appearance of booster gold - very popular charater in dcu reminds me a lot of
    deadpool -without the killing. DC need to realize this characterii has huge potential if given his own series.

Savage she hulk #1 (1st series) 1st appearance of she-hulk lot copies out there major character my eyes she done it all in the marvel universe. if she get into the movies or tv this book will rise.

web of spiderman #18 first venom cameo - a lot people don't know this but that hand that pushes Peter in front of the train......yup that venom!

Superman man of steel #17- speaking of hands doomsday lends one on the last panel still very cheap .

ALIAS # 1 marvel MAX -other day i learned netflix was making marvel series for their service luke cage squeeze jessica jones was getting her own series snag a copy if you can.

well that some issues to look for .....it speculation so have fun finding them.

I believe (almost know) the star comics will go up in value in the future, maybe not right away but within a decade for-sure. Top Dog, Ewoks, Droids, etc....and if they are one of the 80s price variants, even better. there are so few of these that exist. this because they were geared to selling to kids 12 years or under. Kids don't take care of books in the typical sense. Collectors at the time most often over looked such books due to them being young kid comics. collectors were buying titles like spider-man, x-men, etc..So star comics (marvel) would try to print enough copies to satisfy the market, which would have been limited (due to limited audience). now factor in the 75 cent and 95 cent very limited distribution on top of what i have said here, you have scarce books, i mean scarce, not ebay scarce but scarce. if u don't believe this you can curse yourself out, in 10 years when people have realized this.
    see you here in 10 years, lol. Think
  • Posted: September 20, 2014 11:40:28 pm
  • I'd say Doctor Nemesis would be a cheap one to get. He first appeared in the Marvel universe in The Invaders #1 (1993). His very first appearance was in Lightning Comics #6 published by Ace Magazines back in 1941. I've been picking up as many of the Invaders #1 that I can. I feel like he is a pretty popular character and it's only a matter of time until that issue starts to go up.
    "You will soon see the distinct advantages of having no scruples whatsoever!" - Cobra Commander
  • Posted: September 21, 2014 1:39:59 am
  • I don't think a villain has been announced for the Inhumans movie coming out. Now might be the time to start buying up Marvel Two-In-One #71, the 1st Maelstrom. If he is the villain this comic could see some movement.

Last edited September 21, 2014 1:41:57 am
    "You will soon see the distinct advantages of having no scruples whatsoever!" - Cobra Commander
  • Posted: June 18, 2015 10:06:31 pm
  • labria4 said:
    I don't think a villain has been announced for the Inhumans movie coming out. Now might be the time to start buying up Marvel Two-In-One #71, the 1st Maelstrom. If he is the villain this comic could see some movement.

I do not think they have either, but I am not sure Maelstrom will be the one. I think Maximus is a good bet as well as The Unspoken. The Unspoken is pretty inexpensive and likely at your LCS. Maximus is quite a bit more expensive, especially if you care about grade.

However, while they could be long running villains, especially in the case of Maximus, I would look at first appearances of the Inhumans themselves. Yes, the first wave of their appearances are expensive, but the newer incarnation is not bad. Looking at how they selected GotG, it seems logical that they would take newer players as well since they are currently in the marketplace.

Other firsts I like: Dazzler (X-Men 130 Vol 1), Moon Knight (Werewolf by Night 32), Black Tom Cassidy because of Deadpool (X-Men 99 or 101 Vol 1), Moondragon (Iron Man 54 Vol 1 first appearance, Daredevil 105 Vol 1 as character), Swamp Thing (House of Secrets 92).

Lesser costed: Jessica Jones (Alias 1), Kamala Khan (Captain Marvel 14 Vol 7), Warlock - (New Mutants 18 Vol 1 - NOT Adam Warlock but he is solid), Machine Man (2001 Space Odyssey 8 Vol 1), Blink (X-Men 317 Vol 1).

I hope this helps, and remember that this is only my list. I have not idea if they will every amount to anything of true substantial value. I would say to cap your looking at Bronze Age, and only 9.6+ for things after. That is graded, not eyeballing. These are rough guidelines, there will always be exceptions Smile

- Craig Coffman
  • Posted: June 19, 2015 7:47:08 am
  • I love getting underdog 1st apps. Mainly because I can't afford A-lister 1st apps, lol.

Micronauts #8, 1st app of Captain Universe, since I think Marvel is leaning towards space faring heroes now (Guardians, Thanos, etc....)

Marvel Team-Up #100, 1st app of Karma

Uncanny X-Men #148, 1st app of Caliban since there are rumors he will be in X-Force/New Mutants films.

Secret War #2, 1st app of Quake a la Agents of SHIELD. I found a 2nd printing sketch variant so far. Kindof hard to find.

The Flash #250, 1st app of Golden Glider. Found a low grade copy for $2 at a recent con. She may even end up in Legents of Tomorrow TV show, she's already been on the Flash.

Firestorm (New 52) #19, 1st app of Caitlin Snow as Killer Frost. This has been confirmed to happen soon on the Flash TV show.

X-Force #2, 2nd app of Deadpool. Bought 4 of these last year for 50 cents at a con. Now they are over $20 at the same con!

All 1st app's in Valiant comics. Bloodshot #6 and #7, 1st Ninjak.

JLA Annual #2 - 1st app of Vibe (Cisco Ramon) who is already on the Flash and was hinted to becoming Vibe in the show. Got mine signed by Gerry Conway and I'm sending it to be graded as I type.

I could go on and on all day, actually. I try to find as many 1st apps as I can, no matter how small or obscure the character because you never know. Eventually Marvel and DC will run out of A-list characters to make TV and movies about so they will have to start to dig up these smaller characters and bring them into the mainstream.

• Posted: June 19, 2015 9:58:15 am
  • kewilson said:
    Micronauts #8, 1st app of Captain Universe, since I think Marvel is leaning towards space faring heroes now (Guardians, Thanos, etc....)

Totally agree with this one. I was thinking of adding this one to my list as well, as I have been collecting them the past year of so. I did not because I thought it was a bit too unfounded, so seeing you include it makes me happy Smile

I certainly think space is where they are heading. Not to stay and exclude earth, but to really expand and round out their MCU.

- Craig Coffman
  • Posted: June 19, 2015 10:05:15 am
  • I bought 3 copies. I think I found them all in the $2 bins. I gave one to my friend and told him to hang on to it.

Anyone know of any other Micronauts 1st apps that might be important down the road?

One I forgot to mention was X-Factor #24, 1st Archangel which is gaining traction since it was hinted at for the next X-Men film. Also found about 4 copies in the $2 bins. Saw them going at the recent con for $20 and up.
  • Posted: June 19, 2015 12:26:22 pm
  • kewilson said:
    Anyone know of any other Micronauts 1st apps that might be important down the road?

issue 1 is the first appearance of Bug who was part of the 2008 Guardians of the Galaxy team. Not sure if he'll ever become more popular down the road but it's definitely a 1st appearance I picked up.
22 posts • Page 1 of 3
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 190 days, 18 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Aardvark-Vanaheim's Cerebus the Aardvark Issue # 1facsimile
  • Marvel Comics's Deadpool Issue # 45b
  • Sofawolf Press's Heat Soft Cover # 6
  • Viz Media's Mimi's Tales of Terror Hard Cover # 1