feature requests

Comics Heating Up (Comic Book Forums)

• Comics Heating Up

Author Discussion
  • Posted: July 18, 2012 11:08:00 am
  • I thought I'd make a post where I can just mention books that are hot. That way they are all in one place and not being littered across the forum. Very Happy

Morning Glories #1
    Strangers in Paradise #1
    Batman: Vengeance of Bane #1
    NYX #3
    Thief of Thieves #1
    New X-Men #128
    Uncanny X-Force #4
    Peter Panzerfaust #1
    Uncanny X-Force #5
    Saga #1

There were a lot of sets and lots of variants that I found while using the website The Market that I cut from the list due to keeping this list pure (no variants or sets) but it's interesting to see what SDCC 2012 variant is already "heating up" and what series are gaining momentum.

Last edited July 18, 2012 11:12:18 am
  • Posted: July 18, 2012 1:55:06 pm
  • Shoulda bought more Saga #1.... didnt think it would skyrocket in price this soon. , it was only released a few months ago, only just now released its 5th issue. Still, great book.
  • Posted: July 19, 2012 10:09:58 am
  • I know, right? Should of bought more of those and Thief of Thieves. Brick wall
  • Posted: July 19, 2012 11:25:19 am
  • Saga and Thief of Thieves are my two favorite ongoing comics at the moment. I'm still reading Morning Glories, but I'm wondering when the story will pick up. Each issue just leaves more questions.
  • Posted: July 19, 2012 11:37:31 am
  • sonny_1313 said:
    Saga and Thief of Thieves are my two favorite ongoing comics at the moment. I'm still reading Morning Glories, but I'm wondering when the story will pick up. Each issue just leaves more questions.

Here's Nick Spencer's response to this:
    ================================

The book is a long-form mystery. I really never have any idea what else to say to this stuff. I don't think most of the narratives are terribly complex, even. And it's not like we don't answer questions. We answer questions in nearly every issue. It's just a lot of those answers will lead to new questions.

Sorry, I don't mean for that answer to sound obtuse, but it's really the best I can give. We're twenty issues in, yes, but that's not that far in a story that's going to run 100, 100+ issues. We've been hearing that since somewhere around 4 issues in.

It's not going to get smaller, or simpler from here, I can say that much. And if it did, frankly, I'm not sure what the book would even be anymore. The entire point of the story structure is for you to not be able to figure it all out at this stage. If you did, the story would just be over-- again, it's a mystery. But you know considerably more than you did at the end of 01, right?

If you're not feeling any attachment for the characters, or can't keep them straight, I dunno... I feel like these are some of the best-defined, most distinctive characters in comics, but I'm biased. There's not one of them that doesn't have some fan shrine out there, so they are registering with some people. But mileage varies. I think the book suffers a bit when read quickly as part of a stack, it's a little more demanding than that, but I really have no idea if that's your chosen method.

As for Jun and Hisao, they're twins. They switched identities when the faculty came to get them. That's it, really. Same with Jade, sort of-- there's a younger one, and an older one. That's really all we know at this stage.

Bottom line, no, we're not anywhere near the point where there aren't new questions coming. You'll get answers to a lot, too, but there's a lot more to discover. Some people enjoy the journey, others decide they can't keep it straight/don't want to wait it out, and I get that. But the book is not on the cusp of becoming something other than the long-form mystery we pitched it as on day one.

Sorry, I am probably not the guy to answer these questions Smile

Also, this site may be cool for you to explore:

http://multiversitycomics.com/columns/mga-study-hall-issue-20/

I haven't looked at it yet but I think they go over each issue in detail. Should be a good read.

Last edited July 19, 2012 11:37:55 am
  • Posted: July 19, 2012 11:43:38 am
  • I'll keep reading Morning Glories because Spencer does have me hooked. I just hope the payoff is worth the tremendous setup.
  • Posted: July 20, 2012 8:29:42 am
  • Some variants of interest that are doing surprising well according to The Market

Mylo Xyloto #1 SDCC Variant
    Batman #608 2nd print
    X-23 Target X #1 Variant
    Armory Wars #1 Variant
    Wolverine #310 Platt Cover
    Batman #612 Sketch Cover
    Elektra #3 Nude Variant
    Bloodshot #1 1:20 Variant

Whistle
  • Posted: July 23, 2012 4:20:20 pm
  • A found a bunch of books slightly off the beaten path that are doing reasonably well at $10 or more and a couple of bids on eBay. And a few variants from books that are well known that are also doing rather well. Perhaps these can be considered books that are "Heating up"?

Harbinger #2 (1990)
    Mylo Xyloto #1 SDCC variant
    Harbinger #2 (2012) 1:20 variant
    Revival #1 1:10 variant
    Chew #1 2nd printing
    Thief of Thieves #2
    X-O Manowar #1 (1990)
    Tales of Teen Titans #44
    Amazing Spider-Man #573 Stephen Colbert Variant
    Manhattan Projects #1
    X-O Manowar #4
    Hack/Slash #1 (2004)
    Spawn #221 variant

More suprising finds found here as always. Razz
  • Posted: July 26, 2012 11:36:19 am
  • In the attempt to keep this thread alive I'll talk about some comics that I've noticed from my website, The Market, that have surprised me this week:

Amazing Spider-Man #430 still hot at around $15-$20+
    Kick-*spoon* #1 is heating back up.
    Uncanny X-Force #4. wtf? This book is hotter than the first few issues. I'm not sure why.
    X-O Manowar #1 (1992) early Valiant's are still on the rise.
    Batman: The Killing Joke is suddenly doing well.
    Star Trek & Dr. Who #1 covers are doing extremely well in the $10+ realm.
    Captain America #14 is 1st appearance of Winter Solider
    Harbinger #1 is again representing Valiant's rebirth.
    Solar #10 touted by some to be the start of all the variants in the 90's
    Chew #1 2nd print is getting somewhere in the $60 range! Shocked

Dancing
  • Posted: July 26, 2012 1:13:51 pm
  • whetteon said:

Uncanny X-Force #4. wtf? This book is hotter than the first few issues. I'm not sure why.

Something 'major' happened in it. I don't really see the big deal but that's why it's expensive.
575 posts • Page 1 of 58
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 255 days, 20 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Vertigo's Hellblazer TPB # 1 - 3rd print
  • Marvel Comics's The Spectacular Spider-Men Issue # 2b
  • Ultimate Marvel's Ultimate Spider-Man Issue # 113b
  • Ultimate Marvel's Ultimate Spider-Man Issue # 114b