feature requests

Future Comic Book Investments (Comic Book Forums)

• Future Comic Book Investments

Author Discussion
  • Posted: July 15, 2010 10:13:55 pm
  • scaldwell1982 said:
    I think you are winning as long as you purchase a comic book and enjoy the story and art. This is the true pay off. If you are looking to make money, time is probably best spent elsewhere. Like selling drugs. Running kids in the slave trade. applying for corporate bail outs.

Hmm apparently there are some diversifications to my portfolio that I overlooked. Thank!

By the way does anybody have any kids?
  • Posted: July 16, 2010 1:51:09 am
  • ibritton said:
    scaldwell1982 said:
    I think you are winning as long as you purchase a comic book and enjoy the story and art. This is the true pay off. If you are looking to make money, time is probably best spent elsewhere. Like selling drugs. Running kids in the slave trade. applying for corporate bail outs.

Hmm apparently there are some diversifications to my portfolio that I overlooked. Thank!

By the way does anybody have any kids?

I got one.. but I am sure I could make some more. It's not that hard when you know how LOL

Seriously... I think your thoughts on investing in comic books are spot on... only do it if you enjoy it. If you are able to make some money in the process (which is very likely if you are smart about it) then all the better.

Last edited July 16, 2010 1:52:22 am
    Not collecting any more but I still enjoy comics now and then...
  • Posted: July 16, 2010 9:33:33 am
  • "However, I think its foolish to expect serious returns on a comic book collection as a way of funding a retirement. It's a bit like playing the lottery every day as a means for retirement."

All I can say is (a) 95% of my collection has been purchased in the past 20 years and (b) Approximately 90% of the current value of my collection is profit. My 25 year 401K has probably done better percentagewise, but all I get from them are quarterly statements. Not much fun reading them.

I agree it would be foolish to bank your retirement totally on comic investments, thus it's my "plan 5", but the investment for me has paid off richly in multiple ways.

Anyway, there are a large number of comic shops selling back issues. I doubt they can exist without nice profits. One of my dealer friends sold me an old Batman about 12 years ago. Recently he offerred me the same issue, in the same grade, at 10 times the old price. And that was heavily discounted. Whistle Whistle

Last edited July 16, 2010 9:34:14 am
    The joy is in the journey, not just the destination.
  • Posted: July 16, 2010 9:38:33 am
  • owned.
    You have to be awake to say no.
  • Posted: July 16, 2010 12:11:26 pm
  • So it looks like we are pretty much in agreement spa-fon comic books=fun 1st investment 2nd.

As for me comparing investing in comic books to playing the lottery; I wasn't being clear, I was refering to buying a comic at newsstand price and assuming you'd get a big return. Most modern comics are not going to show a profit so I must assume that most of your profit is based off of silver and golden age comics you purchased in that 20 year period.

Lastly comic book shops don't operate with investment in mind they general work off short term speculation and quick turn around or "flipping" of a book they bought cheaply generally from someone who does not know the market as well or has to make money quick. Chuck Rozanski sold 99% of the Edgar Church collection in 5 years. He could have made more money if he held on to the collection but then he wouldn't have had a comic book store for very long.
  • Posted: September 22, 2010 3:51:54 pm
  • What I've tended to do (outside of some of my higher dollar silver age gems) over the past ten years is periodically look for a whole slew of random first appearance comics in the $5 - 20 range (typically 5 - 10). By doing so, over time I've picked up first appearances of characters like Gambit, Deadpool, Jason Todd, Rhodey, etc. for some pretty cheap prices. I'm not planning to get rich, but I'd be lying if I told you that I didn't get a grin on my face when I see those books go up to $40, $60, $80, $100, etc. It's a fun way to play the thrill of the chase without breaking the bank!
46 posts • Page 1 of 5
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 186 days, 23 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Titan Comics's Conan the Barbarian Issue # 9
  • Killer Comics's Crucifix Executioner Issue # 4
  • Scout Comics's Miracle Kingdom Issue # 5
  • AC Comics's Superbabes Issue # 17