feature requests

Future Comic Book Investments (Comic Book Forums)

• Future Comic Book Investments

Author Discussion
  • Posted: June 16, 2010 7:49:21 am
  • Comic Cards = Even Worse

Although some are pretty cool and I might have to dig them out and look them over again now, lol.
  • Posted: June 16, 2010 8:38:32 am
  • quiksilverwv said:
    I tell you whats a terrible investment now is baseball cards. Unless you have something incredibly rare. I have boxes and boxes of cards that i don't think are worth anything.

Gah don't remind me, been sorting out through my comics the last two weeks and i've found binders full of cards that are probably worthless. Seem to remember the cards costing even more than the comics (comparatively) which compounds the pain
  • Posted: June 23, 2010 2:45:30 pm
  • I'll pretty much reiterate what has been said: Silver Age and Golden Age will pretty much go up (as long as comic book collecting still exists) and you probably shouldn't be collecting to make money. I will add this though: why do you want to make money on your books? If its to plan for your retirement I would say that comics are a bad investment any way. Better to stick with a roth ira or 401K since comics basically act like an unstable commodity. While the return on investment for action comics #1 after 70 years seems impressive its not nearly as much as the returns on investment (including dividends and stock splits) that investing in Ford, Kroger, or GE over the same time.
  • Posted: June 24, 2010 4:44:39 pm
  • donuil23 said:
    Comic Cards = Even Worse

Although some are pretty cool and I might have to dig them out and look them over again now, lol.
    I will take all comic cards off of anyone's hands if they don't want them
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

Hunting for (mainly reprints/variants) - Please help! - See My Profile
  • Posted: June 25, 2010 10:38:33 am
  • I'll keep that in mind next time they rear their ugly heads.
  • Posted: July 15, 2010 10:55:58 am
  • ibritton said:
    I'll pretty much reiterate what has been said: Silver Age and Golden Age will pretty much go up (as long as comic book collecting still exists) and you probably shouldn't be collecting to make money. I will add this though: why do you want to make money on your books? If its to plan for your retirement I would say that comics are a bad investment any way. Better to stick with a roth ira or 401K since comics basically act like an unstable commodity. While the return on investment for action comics #1 after 70 years seems impressive its not nearly as much as the returns on investment (including dividends and stock splits) that investing in Ford, Kroger, or GE over the same time.

ibritton,

This is a wonderful point. You should charge for advice of this high caliber. I hereby want to nomiate ibritton for a position of moderator for this board and grant him full authority that this position entails.

Last edited July 15, 2010 10:56:57 am
    You have to be awake to say no.
  • Posted: July 15, 2010 11:01:47 am
  • scaldwell1982 said:
    ibritton said:
    I'll pretty much reiterate what has been said: Silver Age and Golden Age will pretty much go up (as long as comic book collecting still exists) and you probably shouldn't be collecting to make money. I will add this though: why do you want to make money on your books? If its to plan for your retirement I would say that comics are a bad investment any way. Better to stick with a roth ira or 401K since comics basically act like an unstable commodity. While the return on investment for action comics #1 after 70 years seems impressive its not nearly as much as the returns on investment (including dividends and stock splits) that investing in Ford, Kroger, or GE over the same time.
    ibritton,This is a wonderful point. You should charge for advice of this high caliber. I hereby want to nomiate ibritton for a position of moderator for this board and grant him full authority that this position entails.

With great power comes great responsibility... I don't want any responsibility but I like your idea of people paying for my advice. I can be bought with comics. If anybody wants to give me some early FF I'll take it!
  • Posted: July 15, 2010 1:15:25 pm
  • ibritton said:
    ...I will add this though: why do you want to make money on your books? If its to plan for your retirement I would say that comics are a bad investment any way. Better to stick with a roth ira or 401K since comics basically act like an unstable commodity. While the return on investment for action comics #1 after 70 years seems impressive its not nearly as much as the returns on investment (including dividends and stock splits) that investing in Ford, Kroger, or GE over the same time.

In general yes. But keep in mind that a great deal of the explosive value of Action # 1 happened in the last 15 years. And keep in mind the amount of investment required. Don't forget to look at Amazing Fantasy # 15, a jump from 12 cents to over $150,000 in 50 years and will only spiral. How about The Walking Dead? Issue # 1 just $2.95 in 2003 - only 7 years past. Now listed in eBay from $150 low to $6,000 (ridiculous). Even at $150, a 5,084.75% increase in 7 years is pretty good. A bit unusual, yes, but not that rare. See also Cavewoman and a couple others.

The investment factor is doubtless why the price on key and high grade issues are skyrocketing - because 401Ks and other investments dropped considerably over the past 3 years.

To me it is both an investment and a hobby. I love comics and I love to read them, even breathe in the smell of old paper and ink from the Golden Age. I buy CGC or slab them myself to protect the investment, but I try to get a lower grade copy or reprint of the same issue to read. I also have a set of the EC Horror and Sci-Fi comic reprints in hardback that I've probably read through dozens of times. I think the best of both worlds (with apologies to Mylie) is to enjoy your investments.

You think Jay Leno doesn't enjoy his classic and rare car collection?
    The joy is in the journey, not just the destination.
  • Posted: July 15, 2010 8:37:10 pm
  • Spa-fon said:
    ibritton said:
    ...I will add this though: why do you want to make money on your books? If its to plan for your retirement I would say that comics are a bad investment any way. Better to stick with a roth ira or 401K since comics basically act like an unstable commodity. While the return on investment for action comics #1 after 70 years seems impressive its not nearly as much as the returns on investment (including dividends and stock splits) that investing in Ford, Kroger, or GE over the same time.
    In general yes. But keep in mind that a great deal of the explosive value of Action # 1 happened in the last 15 years. And keep in mind the amount of investment required. Don't forget to look at Amazing Fantasy # 15, a jump from 12 cents to over $150,000 in 50 years and will only spiral. How about The Walking Dead? Issue # 1 just $2.95 in 2003 - only 7 years past. Now listed in eBay from $150 low to $6,000 (ridiculous). Even at $150, a 5,084.75% increase in 7 years is pretty good. A bit unusual, yes, but not that rare. See also Cavewoman and a couple others.The investment factor is doubtless why the price on key and high grade issues are skyrocketing - because 401Ks and other investments dropped considerably over the past 3 years. To me it is both an investment and a hobby. I love comics and I love to read them, even breathe in the smell of old paper and ink from the Golden Age. I buy CGC or slab them myself to protect the investment, but I try to get a lower grade copy or reprint of the same issue to read. I also have a set of the EC Horror and Sci-Fi comic reprints in hardback that I've probably read through dozens of times. I think the best of both worlds (with apologies to Mylie) is to enjoy your investments. You think Jay Leno doesn't enjoy his classic and rare car collection?

I didn't mean to imply that you shouldn't enjoy your comic book collection I truly enjoy my comic book collection. However, I think its foolish to expect serious returns on a comic book collection as a way of funding a retirement. It's a bit like playing the lottery every day as a means for retirement. Granted the return on some books is amazing but so is the return on stocks. In 1977 a third of Apple was worth $800 a third of Apple today is worth 69 Billion dollars. This is anecdotal evidence of the market but then again so is tracking the value of Action Comics #1. In other words, if your goal is pure monetary gain, put your money in something else besides comics. If you enjoy comics spend your cash on them, I certainly do, but if you're worried how to put Little Timmy through college in a few years put your money some place safer.

As to the point that investment factor is the driving force on high grade key issues I disagree. It's not investors that are that are driving up the price of these issues it's the demand of collectors. Comics are a weird commodity as they are based on an extrinsic value that other commodities are not (like oil or gold). When the economy fell on rough times many investors turned to intirinsically valuable commodities (gold being a superstar) Comic Book prices actually flattened in 07-08 when the recession began. This is a sign that investors did not rush to the collectibles market. To me this is a good thing, as I remember what happened in the 1990's when they did.

Here's a good article from Forbes' Investopedia that explains it better than I am. http://www.investopedia.com/articles/basics/06/contemplatingcollectibles.asp
  • Posted: July 15, 2010 9:05:52 pm
  • I think you are winning as long as you purchase a comic book and enjoy the story and art. This is the true pay off. If you are looking to make money, time is probably best spent elsewhere. Like selling drugs. Running kids in the slave trade. applying for corporate bail outs.
    You have to be awake to say no.
46 posts • Page 1 of 5
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 252 days, 5 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Pizz Publications's In Cold Blood Issue nn
  • Al Barrett's The Justiciary Issue # 15
  • Marvel Comics's The Uncanny X-Men Issue # 495b
  • Tome Press's Witness to War TPB # 1