feature requests

How to get more members (Comic Book Forums)

• How to get more members

Author Discussion
  • Posted: March 21, 2006 12:11:19 am
  • Hello, this is my seconed post. I have a very strange question...
    Is there any means of getting more members, because last time I checked, u only have 'bout 1,000 members. CPG has a ton of members, but www.comicbookrealm.com is a million times better, so why do they have more Very Happy Very Happy :-D
    Is there any way I could help premote the site to get more members?
  • Posted: March 21, 2006 8:09:42 pm
  • Where to start...

Would I love for MCP to be the leader - Yes. What can I/we do to get more members? I am not sure. Their stats are alittle misleading because they count everyone who has ever created an account - even those 3+ years old that have never gone back \Very Happy/.

Another reason they have "tons of members" is because they have been around for along time. I am not sure if they were around when Wizard had a site (shows you how long I have been out of things), but my guess is that because Wizard shut down for whatever reason, collectors went to the next best thing.

I personally believe that MCP is 100 times better, but it will just take some time to catch on. MCP has only been around since August, and to get nearly 1,000 verified members doing nothing more than word of mouth, and search words is pretty amazing.

I have personally invested tons of time, and money into building MCP. I would love for it to succeed - and for it to remain free. Lord knows that we all spend a great deal of money on comics - so why spend more to keep track of them? :smt102

The biggest item on my list at this time is to get more covers into the system. I am open to any suggestions that you might have to increase membership, and probably more importantly increase participation.
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

Hunting for (mainly reprints/variants) - Please help! - See My Profile
  • Posted: March 21, 2006 10:51:27 pm
  • I can help with participation...I have many odd issues that you dont have covers for. Also, could there be some sort of brochour to hand out at local comic stores (with permission of corse Very Happy ). People who goto the store may need a way to keep track of their collection.

PS:This site is the best!!!
  • Posted: March 22, 2006 7:21:49 am
  • Sure is (not sure how good they are). Please see the link below:

http://www.mycomicpile.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570

Thanks for the help. One of the things is that if you pay for something, you have tendency to use it. If it is free, there is no "incentive" to use it. Well, we are going to change this. We are going to keep it free and hope that people realize what a life saver this site is.

Thanks for the support!
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

• Posted: March 22, 2006 10:27:15 am
  • Wish I had found this site earlier :-D

I will be useing it.
  • Posted: March 22, 2006 1:47:56 pm
  • word of mouth is the best way to start, a links page to comic book forums might draw traffic in as well. When you start linking to othere sites and the link back traffic will pick up.
    Darrin Niday
    Des Moines, IA
  • Posted: March 22, 2006 2:18:06 pm
  • you could put the link in the bottom of your sig for all your other fourm sites that you belong too.
  • Posted: June 10, 2006 6:37:14 pm
  • I'm going to let my local comic store know - i'm sure they would put a board up in the shop.

Also, i'm going to forward the link to a few friends and see if they post it in their blogs.

you're doing a great job with this.

regards,
    n
    AbleBaker...always collecting.
    I collect for pleasure and to leave an interesting legacy to my children (besides money or material possessions).
    I'm always interested in buying good condition chidlren's comics or semi-independent comic books at rates between $0.12 - $0.40 each in large volumes.
  • Posted: June 10, 2006 7:55:44 pm
  • Thank you for the compliments. Incase you haven't seen it, there are some PDF ads that you can print out and write your member name on the bottom of for your Local Comic Shop to hand out.

I know mine let me (of course I am a super spender) and they actually put the flyer in the bags when people purchased.

• Posted: June 11, 2006 6:32:24 pm
  • Well, shoot, I wish I'd Found this post when I found this site. I'll see if the Gatekeeper (A fantastic shop in Topeka, KS) will be willing to display your flyer. I'm not a super spender there ($100 a month between myself a friend in the army for whom I buy), but any store that considers itself customer-friendly should jump at the chance to promote this site.

I don't know why anyone would pay for essentially the same service that you're offering. Plus, at MCP, you get the chance to get in on the ground floor of something that ought to, by rights, be a big thing sometime in the near future. I think it's pretty cool that almost 200 covers that other people are viewing have come from scans of my personal collection, and a few of my feature suggestions have been implemented in some way or another. You've got a good thing going. People will come around.
    "1500 years ago, everybody knew the Earth was the center of the Universe. 500 years ago, everybody knew that the Earth was flat... and 15 minutes ago, you knew people were alone on this planet. Think about what you'll know tomorrow." - Agent K, Men in Black
    Find answers to CBR FAQs on my profile!
43 posts • Page 1 of 5
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 186 days, 23 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Marvel Comics's Cable Issue # 4c
  • Image Comics's Feral Issue # 1cbns
  • Tidal Wave Productions's Milestones of Art: Pablo Picasso - Me, the King Hard Cover # 1
  • Image Comics's Monstress Issue # 50b