feature requests

Any Advice???? (Comic Book Forums)

• Any Advice????

Author Discussion
  • Posted: October 25, 2016 4:08:24 pm
  • Sooo I'm a complete newbie to the whole comic book world...and boy has it ever opened my eyes to a whole new universe I had no idea existed!!! Shocked So my question to all of you is simple;

What advice can you give to the new collector?

I got a ton of comics from a friend that was selling them cheap. Some of them I've never even heard of before. I'm thinking of selling some of them on, but how do I know which ones I should keep in case they are worth something someday?
  • Posted: October 26, 2016 12:21:15 am
  • Welcome to the Realm, and to the hobby!

My advice to any new collector is to only collect what you enjoy. Don't collect expecting any financial gains, (any financial gains is a BONUS). Collect comics for their intended purpose, ENTERTAINMENT. Since you got alot of comics from a friend selling them cheap, spend some time reading what you purchased. Those comics that you actually enjoyed, continue buying them. The rest, sell them if you have the chance, but realize that if your friend was willing to sell them to you cheap, they probably are not worth that much. If you have the time, search the titles that you have, on this database, it is usually up to date on what the comics are selling for on the open market.

I've been in this hobby for over 30 yrs, and still love it. Spend some time reading the ones that you just purchased, if you do not enjoy any of the ones that you just bought, sell them all. Alot of people go into this hobby expecting a financial gain because they've read somewhere that an old comic they found, they sold for lots of money. but that is extremely rare.

I hope what I said helps. If you have any other questions, post them in the forum. Everyone here is friendly and helpful.
  • Posted: October 26, 2016 10:14:05 pm
  • me personally when i restarted in the late 90's early 2000's i focused on my favorite character...which is Dr. Doom...as i collected more and more covers i started looking at uncanny xmen and started collecting just those 2, now i collect a labyrinth of books lol...start at your favorite character, buy a whole run of a specific story involving that character and buy and read away...the more you are in the community the more you will know what to buy and what to stay away from...theres no right way to start a collection lol...Very Happy

first appearances and key issues are always good to keep.

for the quick flip...not very easy at all...gotta be ahead of the game and anticipate possible trends...thats alot of studying Brick wall

Last edited October 26, 2016 10:20:45 pm
    "How to destroy a man... Grant him his heart's desire." --Victor Von Doom
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Latest Additions
    Secret Wars #1 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... Cameo Emperor Doom!!
    Secret Wars #2 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... 1st full app of Emperor Doom!!!
3 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 186 days, 23 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • DC Comics's Amazons Attack Issue # 6
  • Marvel Comics's Deadpool Issue # 38b
  • Todd McFarlane Productions's King Spawn Issue # 32b
  • Marvel Comics's Miles Morales: Spider-Man Issue # 18c