feature requests

My First CGC Comics (Comic Book Forums)

• My First CGC Comics

Author Discussion
  • Posted: May 16, 2016 9:55:52 am
  • Just got back my first CGC comics! I am stoked.

Question: What is the proper way to store them? I kind of want to display them.
  • Posted: May 16, 2016 3:09:20 pm
  • Just Google "comic book display" and then click on "images" to see various examples of how people have displayed their collections.
  • Posted: May 16, 2016 10:08:26 pm
  • Could you explain how they bill you? I've read on their site but I just don't know how it's worth it to grade books if they make you pay for shipping to get the book back to you including the grading cost. And don't they charge you a percentage of value of the comic being graded?

I'm thinking of sending some comics to get graded but wonder if it's cost effective or not. Thanks in advance for responding.
  • Posted: May 17, 2016 4:37:05 am
  • Looking real nice there!

I've wanted to send a few, but being in South Africa it seems like just waaaay too much of an effort. And the cost from here is ridiculous, not to mention the waiting period.

Display those bad boys!

Last edited May 17, 2016 4:37:48 am
    "In times like these it's good to remember that there has always been times like these..."
  • Posted: May 17, 2016 10:07:28 am
  • I did the modern grading service which is 18$ per book. There was a 5$ service charge per book. I purchased insurance for the books which was around 60$. And then I had to pay for the shipping back which was 17$. I had 4 books graded.(My daughter HAD to get her Amazing spider man 360 and 362 graded).

All total, it was around 180$ for 4 books. It took 5 months to get them back.

They also get you with the value of the book. IF the value of the book is greater than 200$ OR older than 1975. You have to use a more expensive grading plan. The grader I went through warned me that if CGC feels the book is worth more than what plan I purchased, they will send the books back ungraded.
  • Posted: May 17, 2016 11:01:48 am
  • So $45 - $50 per book, wish I would have thought of this grading system...sounds like easy money to me.
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: May 17, 2016 12:46:09 pm
  • That is ridiculous. How are people able to sell newly released books graded for around $30 if they cost that much to grade? Isn't the other grading service a little cheaper?

And the wait time to get it back, that's a long turnaround time.

Thanks for the reply
  • Posted: May 17, 2016 12:50:27 pm
  • I agree with the cost. If you are a member of CGC you do get a discount on grading prices base on the level of membership

I look at it as preserving works of art. Very Happy
  • Posted: May 17, 2016 1:02:14 pm
  • I can preserve the work of ark in a bag and board and a $1 picture from walmart or dollar general. Very Happy
  • Posted: May 17, 2016 3:00:54 pm
  • Do you like the new CGC cases? There's a lot of complaint that the new cases don't have an inner well and they have an oil slick appearance in certain lighting.

• Posted: May 17, 2016 3:05:12 pm
  • Canuck said:
    So $45 - $50 per book, wish I would have thought of this grading system...sounds like easy money to me.

I know. CBCS raised their prices recently. I submitted one modern tier comic to them before they raised prices. It cost me $15 for grading + $7 to ship to them + $20 to have it shipped back to me. $42 total for one modern tier comic graded!

Last edited May 17, 2016 3:08:02 pm
  • Posted: May 18, 2016 1:40:32 am
  • tsouthammavong said:
    I can preserve the work of ark in a bag and board and a $1 picture from walmart or dollar general. Very Happy

As our dear buddy Stan would say, "'Nuff said!" Smile
  • Posted: May 18, 2016 7:53:02 am
  • logerine said:
    Do you like the new CGC cases? There's a lot of complaint that the new cases don't have an inner well and they have an oil slick appearance in certain lighting.

I did notice that on the back of one it does apeear to have an "oil slick" in the corner. The front looks fine.

I think I will try the walmart frame/bag and board to see how it looks.
  • Posted: May 18, 2016 1:16:43 pm
  • I know CGC buys up a bunch of copies and then Grades and Slabs them...so maybe this is one of them.
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

16 posts • Page 1 of 2
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 186 days, 23 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Marvel Comics's Cable Issue # 4c
  • Abrams Books For Young Readers's Captain Marvel Soars Above Hard Cover # 1
  • Killer Comics's Crucifix Executioner Issue # 6
  • Ab3 12c Ent.'s The Nefarious Smyths: Trouble in Tijuana Issue # 1