feature requests

Marvel, ABC Set 'The Inhumans' TV Series (Comic Book Forums)

• Marvel, ABC Set 'The Inhumans' TV Series

Author Discussion
  • Posted: November 14, 2016 9:41:06 pm
  • http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/marvel-abc-set-inhumans-tv-series-947296

The series will debut in the fall with the first two episodes debuting in Imax theaters in September.

Marvel has landed another series on ABC: The Inhumans.

The comic book studio — which previously abandoned plans for an Inhumans feature film — is now set to team with ABC Studios for an eight-episode live-action drama series set to premiere in the fall of 2017.

Few details are known about the project, including producers, cast and premise. The first two episodes of the series will debut in Imax theaters for two weeks in summer 2017 before moving to ABC in September where they will be followed by six subsequent new episodes.

Sources note that this is not the planned Inhumans feature film, which was initially set for July 2019 but pulled from the schedule. It is also not a spinoff of Marvel drama Agents of SHIELD, which has spent a good deal of time exploring a storyline about its Inhumans.

The Inhumans, a race of superhumans with diverse and singularly unique powers, were first introduced in Marvel Comics by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby in 1965. Since then, they have become among the most popular characters in the Marvel Universe.

ABC's The Inhumans will explore the never-before-told epic adventure of Black Bolt and the royal family.

For ABC, this marks the latest Marvel drama to join the network's schedule. The network last season canceled Agent Carter after two seasons and passed on a spinoff of Agents of SHIELD. Marvel, meanwhile, is teaming with Hulu on another comic book-based series that is in development and has a full slate of dramas at Netflix as well as upcoming X-Men spinoff Legion at FX, among other projects.

The big-screen version of The Inhumans was announced two years ago for a 2018 release. It was pushed back to 2019 as part of a shuffle to make room for Spider-Man: Homecoming, before being pulled from the schedule in April. Marvel had been positioning the Inhumans to be the Marvel Cinematic Universe's answer to The X-Men. In recent comics, Marvel has portrayed them as a persecuted minority, similar to the Marvel mutant characters Fox has the film and TV rights to.

For Imax, this marks the first time a TV series has debuted in theaters in this fashion. Imax will also serve as a financing participant on the pilot. It's also the first time a TV series has debuted in Imax.

“This unprecedented alliance represents a bold, innovative approach to launching great TV content for a worldwide audience,” said Ben Sherwood, co-chairman, Disney Media Networks and president, Disney|ABC Television Group. “It highlights Disney|ABC’s unrelenting commitment to finding new and creative ways to showcasing our very best programming and increasing global engagement and reach.”

The Inhumans TV series will also be filmed completely with Imax cameras.

• Posted: November 15, 2016 11:02:30 am
  • Marvel keeps thinking we want to see the Inhumans as they can't get the X-men back...fact is most people don't even know who the Inhumans are and that includes a lot of comic collectors.
    If it has Black Bolt, Medusa, Karnak, Gorgon, Triton, Crystal and Lockjaw and takes place on the moon it may worth watching. So far the Inhumans introduced in AOS have been a big failure and the series is on the brink of being cancelled.
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: November 15, 2016 12:36:08 pm
  • The article does state it is about Black Bolt and not about what is happening on Shield.

"ABC's The Inhumans will explore the never-before-told epic adventure of Black Bolt and the royal family."

Too bad they dropped the movie and opted for this instead but it might be interesting that it will premiere in an IMAX theatre before it goes on TV.

• Posted: November 15, 2016 12:59:54 pm
  • Yeah I saw that, just bad wording on my part.
    I know it doesn't say anything about Shield, but we all know Marvel and how they want everything to tie together.

• Posted: November 15, 2016 1:56:57 pm
  • I’ve always been a fan of The Inhumans since I first saw them appear in Fantastic Four. To me they’ve always been a hidden gem of a team with some of the most interesting and unique characters in the Marvel Universe. I use to think that way about the Guardians of The Galaxy before they were on film. Because in comics these were considered “B” rate teams (compared to the X-Men and Avengers) I was skeptical at first when Marvel wanted to bring them to the big screen. But they did an awesome job with Guardians. Now I just don’t know why they didn’t push for an Inhumans movie. You need a lot more than a TV show budget to pull off the sort of special effects we are use to seeing in comics (like Medusa’s living hair, Black Bolt’s thundering voice, Triton’s Atlantian empire, etc.). Daredevil and Punisher do well as a TV series because they aren’t superhuman. I guess we’ll have to see how this turns out.

For anyone who hasn’t read a good Inhumans story before I highly recommend Inhumans vol.2 (Marvel Knights, published in 2000). This 12 issue story arc by Paul Jenkins & Jae Lee was one of the best and really brought the characters into the modern era.
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: November 16, 2016 9:18:56 pm
  • HOW WILL ABC’S INHUMANS TIE INTO THE MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE?
    by Meagan Damore

How Will ABC’s Inhumans Tie Into the Marvel Cinematic Universe?
    Make no mistake: Marvel has major plans for the Inhumans. Originally announced as a film slated for a 2020 release, “Inhumans” — much like its comic book counterpart — has undergone quite a few changes in the intervening years, not the least of which is a transition from the big screen to the small screen. Yes, Virginia, there will be a live-action Inhumans adaptation, but it will unfold on ABC rather than in a multiplex. (Well, sort of. The first two hours will debut in IMAX theaters before the remainder of the first season heads to television.)

Of course, the Inhumans as a race are no strangers to Marvel Television. In Season 2 of “Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.”, Daisy “Quake” Johnson was revealed to be Inhuman through her mother’s side of the family. Since then, S.H.I.E.L.D. has battled rogue Inhuman factions in Afterlife and an ancient Inhuman called Hive, as well as prejudice from your average, everyday human being. However, since Afterlife’s demise, the Inhuman race has not seemed like an organized collective, never mind the denizens of an ancient monarchy — but that’s exactly what Marvel Television’s new “Inhumans” television series promises to be about.

According to the show’s official announcement, “Inhumans” “will explore the never-before-told epic adventure of Black Bolt and the royal family.” That passage alone raises a lot of questions about the new Marvel series. “It’s all connected,” as Marvel Television president Jeph Loeb likes to say, meaning “Inhumans” will be tied to the larger web of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, but it remains to be seen just how something as grandiose as the Inhuman royal family will fit into that puzzle.

Read More- http://www.cbr.com/how-will-abcs-inhumans-tie-into-the-marvel-cinematic-universe/

6 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 186 days, 23 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Marvel Comics's Cable & Deadpool Issue # 48
  • Coldfact Comic Group's Coldfact Comics Issue # 22
  • Ab3 12c Ent.'s The Nefarious Smyths Issue # 6e
  • Image Comics's The Six Fingers Issue # 2