feature requests

Suicide Squad keeps looking worse (Comic Book Forums)

• Suicide Squad keeps looking worse

Author Discussion
  • Posted: May 10, 2016 12:37:06 pm
  • Anyone else think the upcoming Suicide Squad movie looks like a complete joke? I saw the latest trailer and it makes me cringe. Everything from the choice of actors to the dialogue seem awful. Why are they even making this film?
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: May 10, 2016 2:14:50 pm
  • Personally I think it will be DC's biggest movie to date...not familiar with the comic version of this team so I'm just going off of what I've seen in the trailers. Deadpool gave me the vibe you're feeling when I saw the trailers and I ended up enjoying the movie and I think this will be the same for movie fans in general.
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: May 10, 2016 4:30:49 pm
  • Think you just have to keep in mind that any DC movie won't be as good as any movie from the Marvel/Disney juggernaut!
  • Posted: May 10, 2016 8:38:56 pm
  • Vengeance said:
    Think you just have to keep in mind that any DC movie won't be as good as any movie from the Marvel/Disney juggernaut!

I'm not sure why people say things like that. I mean even in the comic realm I feel like the DC Universe has always had a different vibe/feel than the Marvel Universe. I appreciate both and honestly I don't want to watch a DC movie that reflects anything Marvel is doing and vice versa. I like that the different universes still have their own tone.

And there have been a lot of great DC films over the years. The Nolan Batman trilogy set the tone for what future superhero films could be like. And who can forget V for Vendetta and Watchmen. We'd never see those sort of films from Marvel's studios.
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: May 10, 2016 10:32:45 pm
  • I think Marvel has set a very good, high standard. I was/am a fan of the old Batman stuff(well, a couple of them), and I really liked the Nolan movies, especially the first two). The first couple Christopher Reeve Superman's are classic, and the first Henry Cavill Supes was good too. I don't even want to watch the abomination that I know is Superman vs. Batman. Suicide Squad might be interesting, I'm more optimistic than pessimistic but..we'll see.
    I never read V for Vendetta, but I loved the movie. I'm kind of curious why Alan Moore disliked the movie so much. Well, I know he doesn't like any Hollywood treatments of his work, but I kinda wonder about V, cause it was good. I haven't watched or read The Watchmen yet. I think a V for Vendetta/Watchmen-type flick by Marvel could be really awesome!!
  • Posted: May 13, 2016 2:02:23 am
  • Rapha1978 said:
    I'm not sure why people say things like that. I mean even in the comic realm I feel like the DC Universe has always had a different vibe/feel than the Marvel Universe. I appreciate both and honestly I don't want to watch a DC movie that reflects anything Marvel is doing and vice versa.

I think that Marvel has set the bar on what is "expected" from a super-hero movie and that's part of the reason why I think that DCs movies aren't being received as well. Your mainstream is expecting a Marvel movie every time they hear "super-hero" while DC is trying to do their own thing, different from Marvel.

I wonder if it's not a bit like art in comics. I know when I started reading comics there was art that I liked and art that I just didn't, but later I developed an "eye" and deeper appreciation I guess for what the artists do and I could appreciate different art styles (although there is still some art out there that is shocking to say the least) . . . I think that the public palate for what is expected needs to develop a bit more.

I must that I am generally disappointed though when fellow comic book readers give in to that same kind of skepticism and cynicism.
  • Posted: May 13, 2016 6:12:46 pm
  • Actually the problem is the opposite. DC is in many ways trying to copy what marvel has done with the shared universe, but they arent willing to put in the time to develop it slowly. Marvel did five movies before putting their big guns on the big screen together. DC tried to launch everything with BvS.

They are looking at it, seeing marvel's success, and trying to grab a slice of that pie for themselves. But they want it now! They aren't willing to slowly develop the way marvel did, becuase they think theyre too far behind the game already. Which lead to the overstuffed BvS.
  • Posted: May 16, 2016 2:37:38 am
  • I feel that BvS is more layered than Civil War because of the very fact that DC has dropped so many things in there. Yes, it does seem stuffed but I'm sure that I'll got more satisfaction from watching BvS a second time than I would Civil War. I also think that the subsequent movies will make one want to re-watch the first and go, "ah, now I see where that bit fits in and why that happened when it did."

I watched Civil War this weekend and it was really good, but I liked BvS more . . . that's just my personal opinion.

We don't know what the future may hold, but I'm looking forward to anything that Marvel / DC / Fox are bringing out . . . so long as they don't waste money on another Fantastic F(l)ou(nde)r Smile
  • Posted: June 29, 2016 10:16:06 pm
  • I personally hope that Suicide Squad does well, as it just means more comic book movies for all of us (junkies?). I am a bit perplexed that DC can put out great TV shows and animated movies, but can't seem to put together great movies. Makes no sense to me. The older trailers do not look promising.
  • Posted: June 30, 2016 2:44:37 am
  • The trailers may not look promising but I am loving the soundtrack so far! I have to agree with brucifer regarding DC and their TV shows and animated specials being so much better than almost everything they have brought to the silver screen (the Nolan Dark Knight flicks being the exception, though even those don't tie in to anything else).
    Tenzil
23 posts • Page 1 of 3
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 190 days, 18 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Marvel Comics's Daredevil Issue # 7
  • Image Comics's Feral Issue # 1pastime
  • Marvel Comics's G.O.D.S. Issue # 1nycc
  • Marvel Comics's Jackpot and Black Cat Issue # 1j