feature requests

Netflix Orders 'Marvel's The Punisher' to Series (Comic Book Forums)

• Netflix Orders 'Marvel's The Punisher' to Series

Author Discussion
  • Posted: April 29, 2016 2:51:42 pm
  • This good deed goes unpunished!

Netflix has ordered a full first season of “Marvel’s The Punisher,” continuing their unprecedented collaboration with Marvel Television.

Jon Bernthal will reprise his role as Frank Castle, introduced to fans earlier this year in the second season of the Netflix original series “Marvel’s Daredevil,” with Steve Lightfoot (“Hannibal”) serving as Executive Producer and Showrunner in addition to writing the series’ first two episodes.

“We want to thank the fans who are clamoring for more of Jon’s stunning and powerful performance as Frank Castle from ‘Marvel’s Daredevil,'” said Executive Producer/Head of Marvel Television, Jeph Loeb, “Now combined with Showrunner Steve Lightfoot’s compelling writing, we’re thrilled to bring 'Marvel’s The Punisher' to Netflix.”

“Jon hooked our global audience with his performance as Frank Castle from the moment he stepped on screen in 'Marvel’s Daredevil,' and we are looking forward to seeing more of him in this role under the vision of Steve Lightfoot,” said Cindy Holland, Netflix Vice President of Original Content.

“For me, the complexity and unpredictability of Frank Castle make him an incredibly compelling character and I couldn’t be more excited to dive into his world,” said Executive Producer and Showrunner, Steve Lightfoot. “After watching Jon’s performance in ‘Marvel’s Daredevil’ I could not be more excited to be working with him to further develop and progress the story of this anti-hero in a show of his own.”

“Marvel’s The Punisher” marks the sixth series ordered thus far as part of the groundbreaking collaboration between Marvel Television and Netflix including the upcoming “Marvel’s Luke Cage,” “Marvel’s Iron Fist,” “Marvel’s The Defenders” and the Peabody Award-winning “Marvel’s Jessica Jones.”

“Marvel’s The Punisher” is produced by Marvel Television in association with ABC Studios for Netflix.

For more information on "Marvel's The Punisher," and the other exciting new Marvel Television series coming to Netflix, stay tuned to Marvel.com.

http://marvel.com/news/tv/26104/netf...#ixzz47Dw46ZtU
  • Posted: May 2, 2016 10:25:51 am
  • I'm getting a little overwhelmed with all the comic book TV shows airing right now. Netflix's Daredevil is still on top as my favorite. Frank Castle's appearance in season 2 was excellent but I don't think to the point of him starring in his own series. My personal opinion (from years of reading comics) is that there's just not enough depth in that character to really keep it going for more than a season–unless the show is just going to be shootouts followed by more shootouts, which can get old quick. For me The Punisher was best as a supporting character who would guest appear now and then. Some of my favorite stories in comics were with his appearances in both Spider-Man, and Daredevil. If the movies have taught us anything it's that the character alone just does not have the same magic to capture the audience. It worked in Daredevil: Season 2 but I would say mainly because Matt Murdock. Had the episodes aired without DD they wouldn't have been as interesting.

Last edited May 2, 2016 10:27:44 am
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: May 3, 2016 6:40:03 pm
  • I agree don't think the Punisher is a complex enough character to carry his own show.
  • Posted: May 4, 2016 3:45:41 am
  • I think this has potential. I've always liked the character but will agree that he's always seemed too two-dimensional, even for a comic-book character. LOL

I do think that given the proper treatment, this could be great.
  • Posted: May 5, 2016 2:13:45 am
  • I think it really depends on the writing and how they weave Castle's story into the rest of the MCU. He was never a favorite of mine but I believe that if handled properly it could work.
    Tenzil
  • Posted: May 5, 2016 10:04:48 am
  • i really like the way punisher was done in daredevil season 2. by far the best part i cant wait for him to have his own series.
  • Posted: May 9, 2016 8:03:55 pm
  • Yeah, i actually thought he was more two dimensional in the show than he was in the comics even. Jon did a great job.

Besides, every Steven Segal character is as one dimensional as they come, yet he was able to make dozens of movies....
  • Posted: May 10, 2016 8:58:31 am
  • I'm sure the supporting cast will either make or break this series.
  • Posted: May 10, 2016 10:54:44 pm
  • I kind of agree that he's only two-dimension, but as already stated, if the writing is good..there's lots of potential. I was actually a big fan of the comics so, I'm actually really looking forward to this.
    I think it is the new 'in' thing to produce/enjoy superhero movies, I just hope it doesn't crash like the comic book industry did in the '90's. While many people may say there's too many superhero movies, myself, as a fanboy from the 80's..I love it!!! For the average viewer, maybe there is too much, but thankfully there's more channels of 'nothing-to-watch' than ever, and this will be another one of them, to them. To us nerds..another reason to rejoice in our nerdiness!! Lol
  • Posted: June 20, 2016 9:54:15 pm
  • the scene where bernthal was talking by the grave made punisher a deeper character than we've ever seen... since when have we ever seen emotion? i mean, like most people, i HATED bernthal because he played shane so well and was so hateable, but i thought he was great as the punisher. i'm really excited for this.
  • Posted: June 21, 2016 1:02:57 pm
  • At least everyone seems to agree that Jon Bernthal did a fantastic job portraying the Punisher on the second season of Daredevil. As a long time Punisher fan, it's easy to see why comic book readers think he's a one-dimensional character. He kills bad guys. Period. But for those of us who read the spectacular run by Garth Ennis a few years ago, we all know there's way more to him than that. With the proper writers and supporting cast (ie. Microchip and Barracuda) this should be a show worth our while.
11 posts • Page 1 of 2
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 186 days, 23 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Coldfact Comic Group's Coldfact Comics Issue # 14
  • Coldfact Comic Group's Coldfact Comics Special # 18
  • DC Comics's Power Girl Issue # 7
  • Marvel Comics's Predator: The Last Hunt Issue # 1f