feature requests

Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice (Comic Book Forums)

• Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice

Author Discussion
  • Posted: March 25, 2016 12:57:36 pm
  • I saw the movie today. I thought it was on par with the Man of Steel. Most of the reviews are right on about the problems of this film but it's still worth a watch. I can't say I hated it but I can't say I really liked it enough to want to see it again. Neutral
  • Posted: March 26, 2016 1:52:27 pm
  • I plan to watch this weekend. Most reviews I have read haven't been great but I think the majority of them are being written by people who don't "get" superhero movies or have ever even read a comic book. I'm just excited that these two characters (which have been around for 77+ years) are sharing the big screen together for the first time. That alone is worth seeing.
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: March 28, 2016 4:24:47 pm
  • There is a big disparity between the audience feedback and the Critics' reviews. A lot of people I know, most of whom are non-Comic Book followers, are watching the movie multiple times. Applause

Watch the movie first, but come to it with an open mind... That's usually how an unbiased opinion of a movie forms. These critics come in with comparisons with Marvel movies already (which we can't take away from them, as the Marvel movies have done well in paving the way for extended universe / interconnected movies).

As a DC and Batman follower, I'd rate it an 8/10. I have some qualms as to the direction they took on some angles (not sure if this is a spoiler-free or spoiler-allowable thread yet), but it's still a good movie!!!
  • Posted: March 29, 2016 12:46:58 pm
  • Saw it yesterday, loved it. 8 of 10.

** Spoiler Alert **

A couple things I didn't like were (1) the origin changes of both and (2) the genius of Lex Luthor changed to more of a paranoid psycho like Joker.
    The cameos of Aquaman & Flash were teasers but who was the 3rd meta human? Looks like an android, maybe Red Tornado? And Doomsday at the end was whaaa?? Intro Supie then that? Shorter life than a blowfly.
    The joy is in the journey, not just the destination.
  • Posted: March 29, 2016 1:43:15 pm
  • who was the 3rd meta human?

I thought it was...

http://www.comicbookdb.com/character.php?ID=57270

But I may be wrong

Last edited March 29, 2016 5:57:43 pm
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: March 29, 2016 4:14:27 pm
  • I loved it! Almost all of the reviews I read beforehand were completely wrong. I'm seriously convinced none of the big movie reviewers know a thing about comics. Plan to watch it again tomorrow night, hopefully with less of a crowd.

By the way did you guys see this yet? Warner Bros. released one of the deleted scenes over YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-MUzvASr8s
  • Posted: March 30, 2016 12:23:11 pm
  • That was absolutely terrible. From the poor characterization of both Batman and Superman to the CGI fight with Doomsday this movie fails on all front. I went in with low expectations but they were still not low enough.
  • Posted: March 31, 2016 1:57:27 am
  • One thing that seems to stand out with this movie (and I'll be honest, I haven't seen it yet), is that it seems that people are very polarised about it. You either love it or hate it . . .

I definitely plan on watching it though Smile
  • Posted: April 1, 2016 5:36:40 pm
  • Canuck said:
    who was the 3rd meta human?

I thought it was...

http://www.comicbookdb.com/character.php?ID=57270

But I may be wrong

You'd be right. The name of the scientist was his father, and it's the origin story for him. He's pretty much been in the JL lineup since New 52 DC started....
    Currently Reading:
    Graphic Novels: Nightwing (90s series), Lumberjanes
    Regular Novels: Chronicles of Prydain

Add me on Goodreads
  • Posted: April 7, 2016 10:19:31 am
  • I liked the movie, but was kinda disappointed with the fact that there was too much dialogue and too little action
  • Posted: May 9, 2016 1:56:05 am
  • Hi All, know it's a little bit after the fact . . . but I only watched the movie this past weekend. I though it was really good and definitely plan on seeing it again.

If someone didn't watch Man of Steel, they'd be completely lost and it would help if you've read Batman: The Dark Knight Returns and the "Doomsday Saga". I'd say this was made for the comic book readers and that's something extra that I respect about the movie.

I actually wasn't as irritated by Lex Luthor as I expected to be but found him a bit too far off his hinge. I will say that of the 3 Lex Luthors so far portrayed in movies (the other two being Kevin Spacey and Gene Hackman), I probably liked this one the most. The other two were really just too silly for me.

I feel that DC isn't following Marvel's route and that they seem to be blazing their own trail. Whether it works out or not is up to the future to decide but they have my vote.
  • Posted: May 9, 2016 10:02:34 am
  • GenesisDay07 said:
    If someone didn't watch Man of Steel, they'd be completely lost and it would help if you've read Batman: The Dark Knight Returns and the "Doomsday Saga". I'd say this was made for the comic book readers and that's something extra that I respect about the movie.

That's exactly how I felt and in one of my earlier comments (see above) I stated that if you didn't know anything about comics you'd probably not like the movie and give a bad review. For example, my wife–who hates reading comics but will watch the movies–just didn't get it and thought it was boring. We just watched Civil War this weekend and she thought it was "childish" and wondered why it wasn't just called "Avengers 3".
  • Posted: May 9, 2016 12:20:08 pm
  • Ben Affleck 'humiliated' by Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice reviews
    http://www.msn.com/en-ca/movies/news/ben-affleck-humiliated-by-batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice-reviews/ar-BBsOAXL?li=AAggSpD

Ben Affleck was “incredibly unhappy” about the derisive reviews Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice received, according to well-regarded fan site Birth.Movies.Death.

A new report alleges the Oscar-winning film-maker was “humiliated” by the negative reception afforded to Zack Snyder’s sprawling superhero smackdown after bigging up the film in promotional interviews. Affleck had suffered a knock to his reputation after starring in the poorly received superhero movie Daredevil in 2003.

“My sources have told me that Affleck was incredibly unhappy about the reception of BvS,” alleged the site’s editor Devin Faraci. “He felt humiliated after spending so much of the press tour saying how much better this film would be than Daredevil.”

Faraci also suggests that Affleck’s agent was furious when Warner Bros CEO Kevin Tsujihara announced the actor and film-maker as the director of a forthcoming solo Batman outing because “there were still negotiations happening”.

Affleck was named as executive producer of the Justice League films last week, according to the site. And Birth.Movies. Death claims the timing is no coincidence as Warner battles to save its superhero cinematic universe following Batman v Superman’s critical travails.

“This move seems to help placate Affleck while also edging Zack Snyder out of a controlling central position in the DC Movieverse,” suggests Faraci. The site’s report claims the film-maker will work with Argo screenwriter Chris Terrio, who also co-wrote Batman v Superman, to ensure the script for the sequels are up to scratch.

Justice League parts one and two, due in November 2017 and June 2019 respectively, will see Affleck’s caped crusader begin to build the titular superhero team hinted at in Dawn of Justice. Snyder has been named as the director of both movies, but there has been speculation he could be replaced following Batman v Superman’s difficulties.

Affleck became the subject of an internet meme after his apparently sorrowful reaction to the news that Batman v Superman was suffering poor reviews was caught on camera last month.

Last edited May 9, 2016 12:21:51 pm
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: May 11, 2016 2:19:26 am
  • Rapha1978 said:
    I loved it! Almost all of the reviews I read beforehand were completely wrong. I'm seriously convinced none of the big movie reviewers know a thing about comics.

Yup, have to agree whole-heartedly with your previous comment Rapha Smile

With regards to the fall-out from how the movie was received, it's a sad day in Hollywood when an $850,000,000.00 movie is seen as a "failure". Everyone is used to how Marvel does things and it seems they expect to see that same formula from DC . . . I'm enjoying the different take and I still think that BvS will more long-term appeal.

I'm not too concerned about the background bureaucracy and politics going on behind scenes so long as they put out a decent movie.
  • Posted: May 11, 2016 9:17:10 am
  • Rapha1978 said:

With regards to the fall-out from how the movie was received, it's a sad day in Hollywood when an $850,000,000.00 movie is seen as a "failure".

It's considered a failure because WB spent $250mil to make the movie and another $200mil for advertising. They really only made their money back. You have to make 3x what you put in to make a profit. This makes it a failure.

For example: The first Avengers movie was made for $260mil which included advertising. I think the actual production cost was $170mil and it made $800mil in profit. See the difference?

Last edited May 11, 2016 9:18:03 am
  • Posted: May 11, 2016 9:38:41 am
  • Income less Expenditure = Profit . . . so 850mil les 450mill still = 400mill profit . . . if they were aiming for 1,5billion they were clearly unrealistic.

What matters to me though is that I loved it and so did many other people . . . may not have been $1,5billion worth of love but should be enough to ensure that we see more Smile
  • Posted: May 12, 2016 1:42:28 am
  • I always got the impression that Affleck was also into comics . . . isn't he buddies with Kevin Smith & Co? That said, I think he's always wanted to play Batman and jumped at the opportunity (Hey, who wouldn't love to play Batman). I read this quote once saying, "no matter what the situation, always be yourself . . . unless you can be Batman".

Also, I don't get why Daredevil got such a bad review. I actually liked it quite a bit . . . Electra was though and let's not even get into Catwoman.

Only leading female comic book character that was done decently was probably Tank Girl? I loved Supergirl back then as well. Were there any others . . . maybe that should be a separate thread though . . . LOL
  • Posted: May 13, 2016 6:09:16 pm
  • Barb wire?... oh the 80s and Pamela Anderson... actually, that might have been early 90s
  • Posted: May 16, 2016 2:23:59 am
  • Barb Wire . . . oh why did you have to remind me of that?! LOL
  • Posted: May 29, 2016 1:12:40 pm
  • Jeremy Irons Doesn't Even Try to Defend 'Muddled, Overstuffed' Batman v Superman

https://www.yahoo.com/news/jeremy-ir...145800371.html

Alfred Pennyworth may be Bruce Wayne's forever-loyal butler and best friend, but Jeremy Irons is not Alfred Pennyworth. Irons, one of the great actors of the last 40 years (remember that time he played twin gynecologists in David Cronenberg's lugubrious Dead Ringers?), and one of the few things we liked about Batman v Superman, did not jump up to defend Zack Snyder's maligned movie while speaking with The Daily Mail. When the Mail mentions the "kicking" the film received from critics, Irons says, "Deservedly so. I mean it took £800 million, so the kicking didn’t matter but it was sort of overstuffed..." He goes on: "‘It was very muddled. I think the next one will be simpler. The script is certainly a lot smaller, it’s more linear...I’m tied into The Batman at the minute, which is nice because it’s a bit of income…not that I need a bit of an income..." Irons also goes on to say that he has no interest in knighthood because he doesn't need more money and fame. That's what Batman v Superman is for.

Well, there you go. Someone who actually worked on the movie and in not so many words say it's a POS. Reading between the lines of his statement it feels like he wants out but is contractually locked in for more movies. At least he's getting paid a lot. Laughing

http://screenrant.com/batman-v-superman-reviews-jeremy-irons/
21 posts • Page 1 of 3
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 243 days, 20 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Al Barrett's Atomman Special # 13
  • Marvel Comics's Beware the Planet of the Apes Issue # 4b
  • DC Comics's Catwoman Issue # 64syndicate-c
  • DC Comics's Crisis on Infinite Earths Issue # 1facsimile