feature requests

Preacher 1,2,3 and Flyer. Static #1 Signed. Hardware #1 Signed. (Comic Book Forums)

• Preacher 1,2,3 and Flyer. Static #1 Signed. Hardware #1 Signed.

Author Discussion
  • Posted: November 24, 2015 1:51:41 am
  • I'm not very knowledgeable about comics (I mean the buying/selling/collecting aspect... I am very familiar with story). I am a writer and a reader. When I was a store manager in the 90's I ran a store that had small selection of comics due to the comic sales boom of the time and when the boom turned to bust I got a few things that I normally wouldn't have.

As I mentioned though I'm a reader. Last week someone mentioned that the comic "Preacher" was getting a TV show on the same network as "The Walking Dead" and I remembered I had some of the early Preacher comics and joked it might be time ti sell. Then I saw how much they are selling for and thought it might be time to get rid of all four boxes I've been dragging around for twenty years. And with digital versions available of almost everything these days I'm seriously considering it.

Mostly I'll put things that seem to have more than the average value (number ones and so on) up to whatever community will tolerate me and sell those myself. Whatever's left over I'll probably either take to the many local comic shops and sell to the highest bidder or donate to a library or hospital.

If I can get any money though I want to get as much as I can. I'm a disabled combat vet and I live off of my disability so every little bit helps.

If it's ok I'll start with the Preacher books and the only two other books I have that may be of inordinate value.

Preacher #1-3 and announcement flyer.
    Static #1 ~ Autographed by Dwayne McDuffie & Denys Cowan
    Hardware #1 ~ Autographed by Dwayne McDuffie & Denys Cowan

http://imgur.com/a/fQ5UF ~ Preacher books and Flyer

http://imgur.com/a/4hndP ~ Static and Hardware in one album.

I have no certificates of authenticity for the autographs. They were brought in to my store as a special item to boost sales/interest. I'm not even positive that the second signature is Denys Cowan but I have matched the signature to one other book I saw on line with a certificate of authenticity. He seems to have a few different signatures.

If you owned these books and weren't a collector would you sell them? Would you sell them now (in light of the impending Preacher and Static TV shows)? What would you say about them? If you understand the byzantine grading system where on that scale do you think they are?

I know they are far from perfect and there are much better quality versions of these 20 year old comics out there (I saw a Preacher #1 on E-Bay today for three thousand dollars... smh). I don't expect that mine are worth anywhere near that kind of crazy money but I do have all three first issues together along with the flyer. I don't know if I should sell them all together or separately but I feel like considering the quality I'd do better with all four at once. But I'd love to hear other opinions on the matter. Especially if you are a regular collector/buyer/seller.

Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Last edited November 24, 2015 1:55:13 am
  • Posted: November 24, 2015 8:34:33 am
  • I didn't know there was a non-bagged version of the Milestone books. I would give both of them an 8.5. As for selling them; I would wait a bit. They aren't really going for much right now even with announcement of the TV series last year. Hopefully it is still in development and not everyone really remembers the Static Shock cartoon series from 15 years ago.

As for your Preacher issues I would give them all an 8. That dog ear on the cover of #1 really stands out along with the spine tics. Smaller dog ear on #2. #3 has missing colors on the top edge dents and slightly blunt corners. Otherwise, nice copies. Sell them if they don't mean anything to you.
  • Posted: November 26, 2015 10:17:54 am
  • I didn't know there was a bagged version until I went to look them up on line. LoL.

Yeah the Static thing I don't know. Warner announced it but it isn't even on IMDB as being in development and Jaden Smith is in a pilot of a new TV show that is in post production now. So if that gets picked up I doubt he'll be Static which makes the whole thing sort of questionable.

Maybe they're waiting to see how his dad does in "Suicide Squad." If it's anything like the animated movie "Batman: Assault On Arkham" it should be pretty great.

I know the Static and Hardware #1's aren't going for much right now. But I can't find a Static that's been autographed by McDuffy and I didn't know if that would make a difference on mine. Since I couldn't find one I had no frame of reference on value. It might be best to hold off with that one until some final determination on the TV show comes down. You're probably right about that. But honestly if I could get a decent price for it I'd probably just sell it now anyway. I'm really leaning towards getting rid of these four boxes of books.

Thanks for your advice and your time. Much appreciated. I'm kind of disappointed that over eighty people have looked at this post and you were the only one who took the time to comment. I was hoping for a larger sample of opinions. Thanks again.

Last edited November 26, 2015 10:19:14 am
  • Posted: November 26, 2015 11:49:46 am
  • ^ Your welcome. Like I said...sell the Preachers if they don't mean anything to you. You will probably get a good price for them right before the series premieres on TV or when it starts. Timing is everything. Very Happy
4 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 252 days, 5 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Ablaze Media's The Prism Issue # 7d
  • Workman Publishing's There Are Moms Way Worse Than You: Irrefutable Proof That You Are Indeed a Fantastic Parent Hard Cover # 1
  • Marvel Comics's World War Hulk Issue # 1counterfeit
  • Kodansha Comics's Yuri is My Job Soft Cover # 12