feature requests

Captain Marvel # 1, Fantastic Four # 67, Marvel Super Heroes #'s 12 and 13 (Comic Book Forums)

• Captain Marvel # 1, Fantastic Four # 67, Marvel Super Heroes #'s 12 and 13

Author Discussion
  • Posted: June 28, 2015 3:40:18 am
  • I will try to take a look at some of your other books tomorrow or early next week but Captain Marvel looks like it has a big old crease near the spine, definite wear on the corners and what looks like a stain on the back cover. Without seeing the inside of the book, and assuming it is otherwise in good shape, I would give it a grade of about 5.0 maximum.
    Tenzil
  • Posted: June 28, 2015 11:53:12 am
  • Thanks, I tentatively have it at 4.5,so nice to see I'm in the ball park.
  • Posted: June 29, 2015 2:34:57 am
  • I took a look at FF #67 tonight and with what I could see from your scans it is a pretty nice copy of a key book. There seems to be a small stain on the front right of the cover and some blunting on the top left of the cover. There are also a few minor creases, a few of which break color down the right side of the front cover. It looks flat and the spine seems all right. Without seeing more I would estimate it could be graded as high as a 6.0.
    Tenzil
  • Posted: June 29, 2015 12:56:09 pm
  • This is so helpful to me. I have been trying to grade my books as objectively as I can, but I'm worried that "wishful thinking" might make me grade higher than warranted. I had this at a 5.0, so again, thanks for confirming that I'm mostly on track.
  • Posted: June 30, 2015 3:16:57 am
  • Tonight I took a peek at Marvel Super Heroes #12. This book has significant wear along the spine, visible on the back cover and looks like it might have a small split along the spine. The bottom right corner of the cover is blunted and has a crease that breaks color, though it is small. There looks to be a spill or two on the back cover. If the interior is in good shape and it is as flat as it looks I would estimate around 5.5.
    Tenzil
  • Posted: June 30, 2015 4:01:58 pm
  • I am not professional grader, but this is what I see. As @Tenzil notes without seeing the insides it is hard know. My guesses are what I would think if I found them in the wild. I will say that in general the overall structure (squared / corners / staples) look pretty good. I always think that is a good sign.

Captain Marvel #1 - 4 - 4.5
    Major obvious color breaking crease, potential spot on upper right corner, colors look pretty vibrant and I cannot tell on the spine. The back looks pretty white in general, but there seems to be a spot on the top and I cannot tell if the lower right (near the spine) is folded / shadowed / stained.

Fantastic Four #67 - 4.5 - 5
    Front looks like several folds / creases / minor tears, spine stresses and soiling. Random color breaks across the face. Possible tear near top of cocoon? Back shows staining / foxing / impression / folds. Looks like it has a general level of dirt as opposed to a clean white.

MSH #12 - 6
    Front looks really nice. Small crease lower right corner and a pretty sharp / straight spine. Tough to find a good spine on these block type books. Colors look clean and bright, as do the whites. Spine does not appear to have many stresses. Back looks like foxing top right (near spine), depressions / dimples along spine, light staining and possibly a tear bottom right 1/3 (near spine). Appears to still have some of the gloss.

MSH #13 - 5 - 5.5
    Front looks pretty good. Color rub / break / crease along spine and possible crease in purple Marvel Field (top left). Top and bottom edges look good, minor creasing. Looks to have slight creases / folds / tear near upper right corner and lower right appears bent / blunted. Presents very nicely with vivid colors and deep blacks. Right edge looks bent / mashed from handling. Back looks like foxing top right (near spine), depressions / dimples along spine and large-ish crease upward from bottom of the cover (near spine), light staining and bend or soft corner at lower left. Bend / impressions along left edge likely from handling. Appears to still have some of the gloss.

Again, these are only my thoughts. I like to believe I am a tough grader, so maybe things would pan out higher if a professional did this. I just try to get myself ready for the lowest potential grade in my mind, so if I am wrong it is a lovely surprise!

In general, though, these are some sweet books. I have copies myself and am happy for it. I hope you are thrilled with owning them. It also does not hurt that they are on the rise at the moment Smile

- Craig Coffman
  • Posted: June 30, 2015 5:42:59 pm
  • Thanks, Craig. My own grading has been pretty much in line with the feedback you and Tenzil have provided, or tougher! The one exception is MSH 13. I had it at a 7. To my eyes here, it's in much better shape than MSH 12. This one has spiked in value recently, so I will probably send it to PGX.
  • Posted: June 30, 2015 6:22:56 pm
  • Wow, nice books. I suggest that you send them to CFP first for clean & press.
    They'll look better & you might wind up with a higher grade.
    They did a great job on my Uncanny X-Men 297b. It had an impression on the back from the game pieces in the box and they flattened it right out!
  • Posted: June 30, 2015 6:38:21 pm
  • KevinJH said:
    Thanks, Craig. My own grading has been pretty much in line with the feedback you and Tenzil have provided, or tougher! The one exception is MSH 13. I had it at a 7. To my eyes here, it's in much better shape than MSH 12. This one has spiked in value recently, so I will probably send it to PGX.

Keep in mind I / we can only go off pictures. The eye always is better on the real than an image. I certainly hope you are right!

I might suggest using CGC or CBCS as something to consider. I know PGX is less expensive, but because the book(s) are going up in value, the market seems to pay higher for the CGC definitely. It does seem like CBCS is holding a decent value in comparison. I do not think there is any difference personally, but I know from several years experience that PGX sells for markedly less, conventions, LCS and especially Ebay.

Just something to consider, but what ever service you chose it is wise to get them protected with a casing.

- Craig Coffman
  • Posted: June 30, 2015 6:40:13 pm
  • The Curmudgeon said:
    Wow, nice books. I suggest that you send them to CFP first for clean & press.
    They'll look better & you might wind up with a higher grade.
    They did a great job on my Uncanny X-Men 297b. It had an impression on the back from the game pieces in the box and they flattened it right out!

I have been reading lately about pressing and cleaning. Can you answer a few questions from your experience, please?

Firstly, who is CFP?
    Secondly, do they also submit to grading services?
    Lastly, does pressing / cleaning count as restored? I have been seeing 'non-pressed' listings and wonder about this.

Thank you for any and all information Smile

- Craig Coffman
  • Posted: July 1, 2015 7:20:40 pm
  • octoberland said:

Firstly, who is CFP?
    Secondly, do they also submit to grading services?
    Lastly, does pressing / cleaning count as restored?

1. http://www.cfpcomics.com/
    2.YES
    3.No, dry cleaning & pressing are not considered restoration by any of the grading services
  • Posted: July 1, 2015 10:30:30 pm
  • The Curmudgeon said:
    octoberland said:
    Firstly, who is CFP?Secondly, do they also submit to grading services?Lastly, does pressing / cleaning count as restored?
    1. http://www.cfpcomics.com/2.YES3.No, dry cleaning & pressing are not considered restoration by any of the grading services

Thank you kindly for the information! I have been thinking about submitting, and then I heard about pressing / cleaning. I figure it cannot hurt anything. I will check them out Smile

- Craig Coffman
13 posts • Page 1 of 2
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 252 days, 5 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Schanes & Schanes's Mysterious World: The Art of Arthur Suydam Issue nn
  • Marvel Comics's The Uncanny X-Men Issue # 490b
  • Marvel Comics's Web of Spider-Man Issue # 5b
  • Marvel Comics's Wolverine: First Class Issue # 9b