feature requests

Showcase #96. Jan '78. Please help in grading my collection. (Comic Book Forums)

• Showcase #96. Jan '78. Please help in grading my collection.

Author Discussion
  • Posted: July 29, 2014 10:43:54 pm
  • The following is a photograph of a comic book (chosen at random) that is a fair representation of the condition of my entire collection of comic books. I have been assigning values to my comics using only the first value visible on the ComicBookRealm website when searching for (and finding) any particular book. Assuming all my comic books are similar in condition to this one, is it fair to say that I can continue the valuation process as I have been? What grade does this book deserve?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited July 30, 2014 6:26:53 pm
  • Posted: July 31, 2014 1:54:30 pm
  • I prefer not to attempt to grade a comic based on a low-res photo of a different comic but here goes ...

Obviously the book does not lay flat, the spine is at least moderately curved with numerous color-breaking creases from top to bottom and probably a large number of color-breaking spine stress marks. It looks like there is a good amount of staple wear at the top staple that appears to show some rust. I'm going to guess that there is a fair amount of edge wear, too. The spine-side corners are at least moderately blunted with wear. There are several fold marks with creases near the bottom-right corner. There seems to be minor dents and indentations on the cover that is not smooth and has lost some of its gloss and I'll guess that the back cover is in the approximate same condition of the front cover. I will assume the book is intact - nothing cut out from any pages - and that all the pages are there with no ink or pencil writing inside and that pages are in no better than off-white to probably cream in color.

So, with that said and without hi-res images of the actual books, I would go no higher than assuming your books are in VG condition at best, which would be about the 4.0 range. Remember, I am not a professional grader so I could easily be off by a grade or more.

Last edited July 31, 2014 6:46:25 pm
  • Posted: July 31, 2014 2:19:38 pm
  • I would agree with everything The Bobarian said. That analysis was spot on.

• Posted: July 31, 2014 6:36:34 pm
  • Thank you for the grade. After reading your comments, it is clear to me that I need to brush up on my grading skills. I appreciate your efforts.
  • Posted: July 31, 2014 6:52:58 pm
  • joe_mccarty said:
    I would agree with everything The Bobarian said. That analysis was spot on.

Thanks, Joe. I used to live in San Antonio for a couple years in the early 1990s. I used to go to a comic book store that I think was just off the inner loop northwest of downtown. Might have been the outer loop. Can't remember the name of the place. Getting old. Rolling Eyes
  • Posted: July 31, 2014 6:55:45 pm
  • tdog2 said:
    Thank you for the grade. After reading your comments, it is clear to me that I need to brush up on my grading skills. I appreciate your efforts.

You're welcome, tdog. I'm still trying to get consistent at it myself. - Bob
  • Posted: August 1, 2014 10:20:14 am
  • Would the name of the store be Heroes and Fantasies or Alien Worlds?

• Posted: August 1, 2014 12:08:05 pm
  • Hmm... could be Alien Worlds but I'm not sure. It was over 20 years ago. I thought the name began with an "A" but a third of all businesses in San Antonio begin with an "A" - Alamo this, Alamo that ...
  • Posted: August 2, 2014 8:01:19 pm
  • Not gonna lie, I love San Antonio ... Wish i had an excuse to visit more often
9 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 186 days, 23 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • DC Comics's Superman/Batman Issue # 10
  • Marvel Comics's The Amazing Spider-Man Issue # 254facsimile-b
  • Marvel Comics's The Amazing Spider-Man Issue # 46d
  • DC Comics's The Penguin Issue # 8b