feature requests

How to manage your "blocks" (Comic Book Forums)

• How to manage your "blocks"

Author Discussion
  • Posted: May 31, 2008 1:14:49 pm
  • Everyone's profile basically consists of blocks. Everyone was given the same starting 4 blocks - Profile, History, Friends, and Fan Mail.

To get started follow these directions:

1. Log into ComicBookRealm.com
    2. Go to your profile (click on "my realm" and then "My Profile")
    3. Click on "Manage Blocks"
    4. Click on "New Block"
    5. Title your block (make it something so others will know what it is about)
    6. Choose the block type
    a. Custom - This is an open block that you can add any self contained HTML code that you want. If you go to a website and they have a widget that you want on your profile, get the "embed" code and paste it in the "Code" box.
    b. Function - These are CBR.com specific items. Currently there is a "Blogs - last 5" which shows your last 5 blogs you have written, "Blogs - latest" which is your latest blog (just a teaser with a more link), and "Random Cover" which displays a random cover from your collection.
    c. Report - These are CBR.com reports that you can share with others about your collection. Currently there is just the "On the Move" report which shows recent value changes to your collection.
    d. RSS - This allows you to pull in an external RSS feed from another source to display on your profile. For instance if you have a feed from del.icio.us it will list the items on your CBR.com profile
    7. Save the block

The block type that most will likely go with is custom as you can literally do anything that you want (except paste in javascript). One of my custom blocks is a Dilbert cartoon and another one is a widget from playlist.com that has some favorite songs.

After your profile finishes loading you will notice that if you hover your mouse over the blue block title the cursor will change to a crosshair. Simply click on the block title area and you can drag your blocks up and down and from column to column. You layout your profile as you want to.

Also if you visit someone's profile that has a block you like, there is a copy icon on the right hand side of the title that will add it to your collection. You can then go back into manage blocks to customize it if needed (i.e. change title etc.)

I am always looking to improve this area so if you have ideas/suggestions on things you would like to see or be able to do, please let me know.

Last edited June 3, 2008 7:31:45 am
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

Hunting for (mainly reprints/variants) - Please help! - See My Profile
  • Posted: June 3, 2008 7:55:41 am
  • Custom blocks are for videos and other widgets. If you find a video you like on youtube, you will find and "embed" link. Copy that link to your custom block, and you can feature your favorite videos on your profile page.

RSS feeds give you updates for pages you visit frequently. CBR has RSS links for the forums, blogs, and news. At the bottom of the page, you'll find the RSS links. Since it doesn't make much sense to link to CBR on CBR, a better example might be the RSS feeds I have on my profile for The Onion or on Comics Should be Good
    "1500 years ago, everybody knew the Earth was the center of the Universe. 500 years ago, everybody knew that the Earth was flat... and 15 minutes ago, you knew people were alone on this planet. Think about what you'll know tomorrow." - Agent K, Men in Black
    Find answers to CBR FAQs on my profile!
2 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 190 days, 18 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • No Sleep's Babylon Working Issue # 2
  • Massive Publishing's Crashdown Issue # 3d
  • Web Bleynat's High Treason League Issue # 1
  • Marvel Comics's Superior Spider-Man Issue # 5