feature requests

How to Handle Pricing Variants? (Comic Book Forums)

• How to Handle Pricing Variants?

Author Discussion
  • Posted: November 17, 2016 2:07:23 pm
  • As a community we need to decide the best way to accommodate pricing variants (or if we do at all). Virtually EVERY comic from the 80's will likely have a US price, Canadian Price and even a Pence price. Throw into this the possibility of a Direct vs Newsstand cover and we could have 5 versions of Doctor Strange #50. Lets use this topic to discuss possible options for how to handle these.
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

Hunting for (mainly reprints/variants) - Please help! - See My Profile
  • Posted: November 18, 2016 1:33:51 am
  • For me I like to keep things simple. While I have nothing against variants per se, the whole thing is being overdone in comics today, but that is an entirely different matter as companies try to maximize their sale totals. Back around 1979 - 1980 when comic shops began to proliferate Marvel and DC and others began to ship to the direct market while still supplying comics to the drugstores, etc. I own many bought via the direct market and many bought off news stands and I do not see any difference in them, nor do I see any reason they should be treated differently. Honestly, how many books that fit this criterion have different values for the two types? If the price difference is only for different markets I also would not worry about that, and I would never worry about overseas currencies here on this North American website. Comics are sold all around the world but this is not the time nor the place to worry about that. Back when Marvel, for example, was testing the market to raise prices and printed up a small sample size of an issue that cost five or ten cents more for a few months, those are true variants. The others not so much, imo.
    Tenzil
  • Posted: November 18, 2016 9:04:29 am
  • I think they should be added but only if the value is significantly different( $5-$10?)like the older .30 & .35 cent price variants and the user can show hard evidence of this other wise it's just over repetition of adding all the covers.

Could we add a drop box like we have for setting grades for your collection that has a list of known price variants that a user could just click on it and then it would show as such in his collection...the simpler way is the user just has to make note of it in the "Notes" section when adding said issue.

Or have the a drop box that the mods can click on to edit an issue that has a spot just to add "Price Variant" and the price so users know that price variants do exist.

Because right now it seems like I can add 20 of these variants and the next day 20 more have been requested, at this rate we'll need a bigger server to run the site. Confused

Last edited November 18, 2016 9:05:22 am
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: November 20, 2016 9:25:15 am
  • if the books have the same cover and same value i dont see why we need to mud up the site with huge lists. i like canucks idea of a drop down menu...seems easiest and simple. Now i know newer NS and DM variants actually have different cover mechanics (i.e. larger text for some pieces and smaller for others, and opposite for the NS or DM variant) those i feel should be added only because there is at least a significant difference in the cover
    "How to destroy a man... Grant him his heart's desire." --Victor Von Doom
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Latest Additions
    Secret Wars #1 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... Cameo Emperor Doom!!
    Secret Wars #2 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... 1st full app of Emperor Doom!!!
4 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 186 days, 23 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Marvel Comics's Carnage Issue # 5d
  • Marvel Comics's G.O.D.S. Issue # 6
  • Dark Horse Comics's Goon: Them That Don't Stay Dead Issue # 1b
  • Marvel Comics's The Incredible Hulk Issue # 10d