feature requests

March Madness 2013 (Comic Book Forums)

• March Madness 2013

Author Discussion
  • Posted: March 17, 2013 7:32:40 pm
  • Joining:

Get in the action now: http://games.espn.go.com/tournament-challenge-bracket/en/group?groupID=76385&ex_cid=tcmen-invite-email

Group: ComicBookRealm.com
    Password: comics

Make sure you "finalize" your team. If you look at the list of participants and you have a 0 for PPR (points possible remaining) then you are not ready to go.

Rules:

1 entry per person
    Entry name should be your ComicBookRealm.com member name

If you would like to "wager" some comics on the action you can do so below, but it is entirely optional.

Comic Wager:

As we are getting ready for another March Madness, there was some discussion about a wager. I think we are going to go forward with it. Everyone can enter the contest for free, only those that pay the entry fee have a shot at winning the prize.

The entry fee from everyone who chooses to do it is 5 comics. These can be any 5 comics that you have. The only criteria is that they must be in NM+ condition if they are Bronze Age or higher. If you want to put in Silver Age you can.

Everyone will mail me their comics and I will store them until the tourney is over. The winner gets everything (must pay whatever shipping is). Since we are a month away from the start if you want to enter you need to get your comics in now. I will post comics here once I receive them so everyone knows what they are playing for.

If you want to enter, please PM me to request my address. Again, everyone can play for free (for bragging rights), but if you want to win the comics you have to enter that as well.

Good Luck!

Comic Bonus Entries Thus Far (must be postmarked by the 21st)

dough boy
    War Goddess #0 ComicBookRealm.com Exclusive
    Grimm Fairy Tales #82d ComicBookRealm.com Exclusive Regular Cover
    Grimm Fairy Tales #82e ComicBookRealm.com Exclusive Naughty Cover
    TBD
    TBD

general mills presents: justice league 1-4
    captain america (vol 6) 3
    avengers: earth's mightiest heroes mini (2011) 1-4
    critter (vol 1) 4b
    victorian undead (vol 1) 1
    evil ernie (current dynamite) 1

Qlorn
    Daredevil #1
    Daredevil #21
    The Mighty Thor #7 Variant
    Shadowman 1b Black Out Variant (Signed by Justin Jordan, an up and coming writer)
    Superman: Deadly Legacy (Incredibly Rare, and I have was apart of the Psy Op division that passed out the Croatian/Serbska books which were plentiful, the English versions are very rare)

Last edited March 22, 2013 2:09:12 pm
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

Hunting for (mainly reprints/variants) - Please help! - See My Profile
  • Posted: March 21, 2013 5:24:36 pm
  • Consarn it, I completely forgot about this until today. d'oh! Good luck everyone!
    "1500 years ago, everybody knew the Earth was the center of the Universe. 500 years ago, everybody knew that the Earth was flat... and 15 minutes ago, you knew people were alone on this planet. Think about what you'll know tomorrow." - Agent K, Men in Black
    Find answers to CBR FAQs on my profile!
  • Posted: March 22, 2013 11:05:32 am
  • Harvard??? Shocked
    Pick-ups this month
    ?

On the way...
    The Avengers (Vol. 1) #58
    Silver Surfer (Vol. 1) #2
    Crisis on Infinite Earths DC/Wal-Mart 100-pg Giant

Submitted/Back from CGC...
    ?

• Posted: March 24, 2013 4:58:30 pm
  • Well I was the leader after round 1. Not looking to hot now Sad
  • Posted: March 25, 2013 12:12:16 pm
  • Man I knew I was bent over the very first day. Harvard ruined my surprise of the tourney. It went south quickly. Enjoy my donation... heh.

I could have thrown darts blind folded and unconscious and made better picks.
    I celebrate myself, And what I assume you shall assume. For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you. -Walt Whitman
  • Posted: March 28, 2013 8:22:52 am
  • currently tied for 21st. d'oh!

still have 9 of the sweet 16.
    6/ elite 8
    4/ final 4
    2/ championship
    and my winner.

hmmmm, there's still a chance.
  • Posted: March 28, 2013 8:30:48 am
  • You are still beating me...so far you would be the winner. I had others interested in paying...but so far just 3 entries that I am aware of...
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

• Posted: March 28, 2013 10:56:33 am
  • dough boy said:
    You are still beating me...so far you would be the winner. I had others interested in paying...but so far just 3 entries that I am aware of...

actually, qlorn is ahead of me, tied for 5th.
    but he's only got 2 of his final 4 and 1 of his championship left.
  • Posted: March 28, 2013 2:10:14 pm
  • For some reason I had 1,2,2,3 final four in my head before I even looked at the bracket.
    So I was no going chalk early on.
    I am really surprised that I am tied for 5th. Looking at my bracket, all I see is what I picked wrong heh.

This has got to be one of the biggest mess year's in recent tourney history. I dont think anyone left in the tourney is out of the final four. Heck even LaSalle or Wichita St.

I so wanted to see NM St. trounce Az. Harvard again messes up my bracket first day. I really need to stop picking against them every year.

I am honestly amazed that I am even in the race, but I feel the Miami doesnt go all the way I will be out soon. I think my PPR is much lower than both of yours... and regardless... DB also has Miami in the Finals. I need Duke to lose like they are playing Maryland.

I guess its just us three in the tourney for the books?

Whoever wins, at least its a close race. I have the lead now between us 3, but feel DB will take the lead next and 1573 for the win in the end.

Q
    I celebrate myself, And what I assume you shall assume. For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you. -Walt Whitman
  • Posted: March 30, 2013 2:16:39 am
  • wow, definitely took a beating in the sweet 16.
    now all i have is

2 / 8
    2 / 4
    1 / 2
    and my winner.

Brick wallBrick wallBrick wall
  • Posted: March 30, 2013 7:38:57 am
  • ROFL, well there went my chance when Miami went down.

Its only a matter of time now before I sink like a rock.
  • Posted: March 31, 2013 10:03:05 am
  • well, i'm done.
  • Posted: March 31, 2013 10:20:54 am
  • This cant be right?
    Well, it looks like it comes down to the Duke Louisville game.

Even so, Db has over 600 PPR.

This has to be the oddest Tourney I have ever seen.

Congrats DB!
  • Posted: March 31, 2013 11:07:49 am
  • I need a Duke and Florida victory today...then I need Duke to win out and I might win...

• Posted: March 31, 2013 1:15:55 pm
  • Yea, I think you have this DB. You have too much gas (PPR) in the tank. heh

Wish more could have played. I think this could be a really cool idea for an annual event. I think though next time we go with 3 comics of NM condition. I think more folks may be more apt to give up their preciousnessesss'.

I love Fantasy Sports of all flavors. If anyone is interested maybe we could have a Fantasy Football private league and put comics up the prizes. If everyone gives 3 comics, everyone who participates can get a comic. Those at the bottom would only get one while the winners would get multiple books.

We could do baseball as well, but not sure there are many more MLB enthusiasts like myself... let alone the daily grind of Fantasy Baseball. But I love it.

Anyways, just throwing out some idea's for those that have a Fantasy Sports interest.

Q
  • Posted: April 10, 2013 5:51:49 pm
  • Congrats to McBriggs on the CBR Tourney.

Looks like it was the Louisville Invitational after all... I thought for sure that chalk wasnt going to win this year.

Hey DB and 1573, I think I held you guys off for the CBR Prize Division win.

Would definitely like to do something like this again.

• Posted: April 23, 2013 1:28:49 am
  • Hey, been out of commission for about a week and had wanted to do something for the winners of the Tournament even though they did not participate in the prize category.

I also would like to thank dough boy and 1573 for offering up some dynamite books.

Now... seeing how generous db and 1573 were with their books...and I actually finished 19th Embarassed Whistle ... I would like to offer up a consolation prize to the top three finishers in the Tournament. Applause

1st Place: 1300pts McBriggs88
    2nd Place: 1230pts Johnny Dangerously
    3rd Place: 1180pts Spankmeuniversity (... I really appreciate the Honor of actually typing Spankmeuniversity, my family thanks you for giving me this honor.) Very Happy

So, to be fair, McBriggs88 will get first shot of the book he wants and postage is on me for all three winners. Once McB has his pick I will PM John and ask for his request.... and so on with Spankme (... sheer bliss).

The book doesn't have to be what was in the pile, which are listed in the OP. You can also send me a few requests with Character's you like or certain series ... different ages, etc. I am Marvel heavy but, have a good range of SA Marvel and DC books before the expanded catalog. (Strange Adventures, Tales of Suspense, etc).

I am open for a dialog to maybe fill a gap in your collection... with in reason. Just need an idea of what you need and like.

I had a good deal of fun with the Tournament. I guess its my way of extending the goodness. Hope it isnt too corny for the hard core geeks (a term I use with Distinction and Reverence).

Anyways, Congratulations to the real winners of the Tourney. What a crazy run.

17 posts • Page 1 of 2
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 255 days, 20 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Papercutz's Double Booking TPB # 1
  • DC Comics's The Brave and the Bold Issue # 54facsimile-c
  • DC Comics's Titans Issue # 10f
  • Absolute Comics Group's White Widow Issue # 4aequitas