feature requests

Advise for Selling my entire collection please (Comic Book Forums)

• Advise for Selling my entire collection please

Author Discussion
  • Posted: January 10, 2015 9:03:51 am
  • I am ready to just sell my entire collection in one lump. Does anyone know which sites/stores are the best, most reputable and perhaps best paying? I have done searches and found a few, but it is hard do know which ones are best? While my listing shows my collection to be worth nearly $16,000 (and yes, I know it is only worth what someone will pay for it), I don't want to get taken advantage of.
  • Posted: January 10, 2015 1:02:34 pm
  • Selling to a store I would imagine you might get $10 per short box and $20 per long box.

Probably your best bet would be to sell in lots on eBay (bundling by say character) and including the higher dollar books. The less you bundle the more you get, but the longer it will take to sell everything.

After you have sold the higher dollar books you could see about donating the rest (assuming kid appropriate) to a Children's hospital or something.
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

Hunting for (mainly reprints/variants) - Please help! - See My Profile
  • Posted: January 10, 2015 2:40:56 pm
  • I was one of a thousand sellers that were banned from selling on ebay indefinitely about a year and a half ago, with no real notice or chance of being reinstated.

I cannot help but think that your $10 to $20 dollars per box estimate is woefully shy of the actual amount offered. That would come to $140 or so for what is currently valued at $16,000.00. That is less than %1 of their calculated value. It would cost more to ship them than the offer is worth. $4,800 is about a third of the calculated value, and is hopefully a conservative estimate of what a reputable shop might be willing to offer for the books.

Which is the reason for my thread, to ask if anyone has dealt with any of the top web companies saying they buy entire collections. But thank you for your opinion.
  • Posted: January 10, 2015 3:21:06 pm
  • The only reason I stated the $10 to $20 is because I am friends with an LCS and he routinely buys comics in this range. Heck one time (probably 9 months ago) he bought a box that had a complete run of The Walking Dead from #1 - #28 and he paid $25 for the box.

I haven't had any experience selling an entire collection to an online company. I am not sure why they would be any different.

Good luck!
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

Hunting for (mainly reprints/variants) - Please help! - See My Profile
  • Posted: January 12, 2015 9:29:40 am
  • Those companies that advertise buying entire collections buy based on your key issues. If you don't have expensive stuff, they probably won't be interested. As dough boy says, you will be lucky to get $10 to $20 per long box for common issues.

Your best bet is to create a new account on ebay and sell there. You could advertise on several forums (here) as well.

What are a few of your better comics or sets?

• Posted: January 14, 2015 3:17:13 pm
  • Selling on ebay may seem like to much work and usually is but there are places like here which you can list a small amount of books on.. there are other sites kind of like here that you can sell on as well just have to look around for them.
    Only down fall to ebay is the fee's and the number of other books being sold such as yours..

Hope all works out for you Smile
  • Posted: January 27, 2015 1:18:41 am
  • There's also Facebook groups dedicated to selling and trading. They see pretty brisk activity.
    I long for a time when every idea worth fighting for was a new one.
  • Posted: January 27, 2015 6:46:06 am
  • And more comics are appearing on Craig's List.

Another option is donating them to a charity for a tax write off. PM me for more details if interested.
    The joy is in the journey, not just the destination.
  • Posted: January 30, 2015 8:14:46 pm
  • @Spa-fon are you able to advise on donating comics to a charity as a tax write off under UK law please? I am based in London.
  • Posted: February 2, 2015 12:46:45 pm
  • A few years ago I bought a collection of 10,000 comics for $1500 on Craiglist (15 cents a comic). The X-Men alone were valued over $10,000.

If you're looking to sell in bulk, you're going to take a huge chunk of value out it, regardless. I've made my money three times over selling individually, and I still have about half of them left. To make the most of the value, you have to sell individually (for high value books) and in bundles of 10-20 for more common runs. It's just the simple truth of it.
10 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 190 days, 18 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Hurricane Entertainment's John Carpenter's Snake Plissken Chronicles Issue preview-b
  • IDW Publishing's Star Trek: Defiant Issue # 13ri
  • Ab3 12c Ent.'s The Nefarious Smyths: Trouble in Tijuana TPB # 1
  • Image Comics's The One Hand Issue # 2c