feature requests

Thor's sister to have her own series OR a new female Thor? (Comic Book Forums)

• Thor's sister to have her own series OR a new female Thor?

Author Discussion
  • Posted: July 15, 2014 11:47:26 am
  • With the story line of Original Sin I was wondering what thoughts are on having Thor's sister becoming her own series? Thoughts on having a female version of Thor to replace the male version? Personally I'm up for Thor's sister having her own series even if her name escapes me right now.
  • Posted: July 15, 2014 7:30:10 pm
  • I believe the OP is talking about Angela turning out to be Thor's sister in Original Sin.
  • Posted: July 17, 2014 8:48:36 am
  • Tom Brevoort got a somebody ...here is a email or tweet he got - http://brevoortformspring.tumblr.com/post/92046829038/watch-your-sales-drop-you-arrogant--turning-thor

"Watch your sales drop, you arrogant ! Turning Thor into a woman is the stupidest thing ever! You guys are full yourselves! You guys have made him a woman several times out of continuity, now you want to inside of it. It's bullshit! BULLSHIT! UP YOURS YOU FAT BASTARDS"

Some people take this way to seriously. Shocked Rolling Eyes
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: July 17, 2014 10:12:43 am
  • Canuck said:
    Tom Brevoort got a somebody ...here is a email or tweet he got - http://brevoortformspring.tumblr.com/post/92046829038/watch-your-sales-drop-you-arrogant--turning-thor

"Watch your sales drop, you arrogant ! Turning Thor into a woman is the stupidest thing ever! You guys are full yourselves! You guys have made him a woman several times out of continuity, now you want to inside of it. It's bullshit! BULLSHIT! UP YOURS YOU FAT BASTARDS"

Some people take this way to seriously. Shocked Rolling Eyes

No kidding! How long before he takes it out on the comic store owners? Anxious
  • Posted: July 17, 2014 7:27:08 pm
  • It wont last long, but at least Jason Aaron is still writing it, so hopefully the continuity will be decent

It is a terrible idea though

And it wont be Angela, theyve said it will be someone Thor has saved in the past
  • Posted: February 15, 2015 7:37:38 pm
  • According to the norse myth, their was a female thor like character, her name was Tyra. This is the female translation. I think Thor is Thor not a woman. This is why i havent bought any of the new series.

It makes as much sense to me as making Dazzler a man.....please nooooo.......lol

Last edited February 15, 2015 7:38:50 pm
  • Posted: February 15, 2015 10:48:48 pm
  • Canadianvariant said:
    According to the norse myth, their was a female thor like character, her name was Tyra. This is the female translation. I think Thor is Thor not a woman. This is why i havent bought any of the new series.

It makes as much sense to me as making Dazzler a man.....please nooooo.......lol
    The series itself has been interesting, but the reason for calling her Thor is just plain ridiculous.
  • Posted: February 28, 2015 1:08:08 pm
  • I have been enjoying it, but I do feel like it is spending way too much time trying to justify itself. Yes, I get it, many people were upset. But spending the first several issues speaking directly to those people (by having characters in the book say the same things as the real life detractors, and answering them directly) feels like wasted time to me. Just get on with good stories focusing on her.

If you spend too long just trying to justify her existence, it will get old quick.
  • Posted: February 28, 2015 6:16:30 pm
  • Tex75455 said:
    I have been enjoying it, but I do feel like it is spending way too much time trying to justify itself. Yes, I get it, many people were upset. But spending the first several issues speaking directly to those people (by having characters in the book say the same things as the real life detractors, and answering them directly) feels like wasted time to me. Just get on with good stories focusing on her.

If you spend too long just trying to justify her existence, it will get old quick.

I completely check out on any comic that does that kind of stuff. New 52 Aquaman was the same way at the beginning, and I got tired of it really quickly. You're not going to convince your detractors by doing that kind of stuff, and you're just making the people interested in your comic lose that interest.

The other thing Female Thor did that made me lose interest was the way (male) Thor had to spend the whole time talking about how she was so much better than him, how Mjolnir has never flown like that for him, how she is more worthy of the name than he is, etc. It's such a "Tell, don't show," way to try to get me to accept that Female Thor is awesome. Compare it to when Beta-Ray Bill was introduced: Walt Simonson had Beta-Ray Bill beat Thor in a fight . . . twice. This made it really easy to accept that Bill was an awesome fighter. He showed us that Beta-Ray Bill gave up his humanity (well, his Korbanite-ness) to protect his people, so we could accept that Bill was worthy of wielding Mjolnir when so few others are.

I think someone besides Thor wielding Mjolnir long-term has potential to be a really good comic, but I don't think it has lived up to that potential at all so far.
  • Posted: March 1, 2015 8:29:54 am
  • Exactly what I was saying. Agree 100%
  • Posted: March 27, 2015 2:42:34 am
  • Not 100% sure I should chime in, considering I am not currently reading Thor and have seen nothing of this story arc (or career change) but let me say this: I believe any good storyteller needs to know where the story (and characters by extension) are going. You can really practically do whatever you want (with permission of your editor/publisher of course) but what you need to ask is, "why?" Why am I killing this character, having this one get engaged, having this one have substance abuse issues, having this one have a change. As long as the writer is not just being frivolous or trying to shock for ratings or readership than I am willing to give it a try. But it needs to make sense in the end and the payoff had better be there. Not a book I am likely to pick up soon.
    Tenzil
14 posts • Page 1 of 2
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 186 days, 23 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Marvel Comics's Cable & Deadpool Issue # 9
  • Killer Comics's Crucifix Executioner Issue # 3
  • DC Comics's Limited Collectors' Edition Issue C-51 - Facsimile b
  • Ab3 12c Ent.'s The Nefarious Smyths Issue # 5