feature requests

A Full Marvel Reboot? (Comic Book Forums)

• A Full Marvel Reboot?

Author Discussion
  • Posted: May 19, 2014 8:25:37 am
  • With the "massive" success and lack of backlash from DC rebooting...now it is Marvel's turn right? Does this mean that we will only get one year of ASM before it is rebooted?

Honestly this is all the collector/readers fault. We are enabling the publishers to bring back the gimmicks of the early 90's.
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

Hunting for (mainly reprints/variants) - Please help! - See My Profile
  • Posted: May 19, 2014 10:23:38 am
  • Yawn...I sometimes think the reboot is now the excuse for "We screwed this thing up so badly even WE don't like it and can't figure out what to do with it."
  • Posted: May 19, 2014 10:29:13 am
  • I would think that. However, in this case I think maybe they are running out of stories and having to have all of the history so why not do a 100% reboot and nothing applies anymore. Ultimately I would look at this as a money grabbing initiative.
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

• Posted: May 19, 2014 11:44:05 am
  • link not working.

Man, I hope this turns out to be false. Unlike the DC universe pre-crisis, the Marvelverse is pretty coherent. Besides some timeline issues (Punisher serving in Vietnam would make him at least 60) everything makes sense.
  • Posted: May 19, 2014 12:17:02 pm
  • junobeach said:
    link not working.Man, I hope this turns out to be false. Unlike the DC universe pre-crisis, the Marvelverse is pretty coherent. Besides some timeline issues (Punisher serving in Vietnam would make him at least 60) everything makes sense.
    Fixed...thanks

• Posted: May 19, 2014 1:14:45 pm
  • Well if this does happen, Marvel won't have to worry about bringing Wolverine back from the dead after they kill him off in a few months. Reboot the Marvel universe and presto - Wolverine is alive and well.
  • Posted: May 19, 2014 1:19:00 pm
  • I think I would be ok with this. When they "rebooted" with the Ultimate universe I liked most of the storylines. Of course those did not really take the place of the normal universe so it wasn't a true reboot, but it did show what they could do with starting fresh and bringing the stories into the current day.

Might be a little too soon after the Ultimate universe for a full reboot, but maybe they will do it well. DC had a decent run with the New 52, I enjoy most of the stories and it let them clear the slate. I guess we will just have to wait and see.
    Look, the people you are after are the people you depend on: we set up your computers, we deliver your email, we connect your calls, we backup your files, we guard your networks while you sleep. Do not %@&# with us. - paraphrased from Fight Club

• Posted: May 19, 2014 9:32:16 pm
  • Since I'm a Marvel guy, this will be the end of the road for me. Not talking
    I never supported the Variants or gimmics they have been throwing at us and I won't play this game either. Shame on you
    I really hope it bites them in the , but I still don't think that will matter as Disney has money to burn and will make way more money making movies of the Marvel properties than the comics ever will.
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: May 22, 2014 6:35:23 pm
  • I've said for years that at this point, the comic books seem little more than a handy way to make sure they maintain the copyright on the characters so they can make oodles of money off of the movies, television, toys, etc - basically everything else.

And yes, it's probably a money grab too.

Honestly, as I've said before on these boards. One of the things I LIKED about the older universes was the sense of history and continuity. But then, in those days, people tended to settle into a title for a few years (or more). Now, people are on a title for a year, maybe two, then everything changes. No one seems to know what the history of the characters is...or even seems to care.
  • Posted: May 24, 2014 12:59:43 pm
  • Im against a reboot and hope they dont go that route... but if they did I would rather it be a full reboot rather than new 52 style, where some stuff happened and some stuff didnt...

Do full new origin stories, everything, the works.

, maybe instead of a reboot, completely destroy earth 616 and start telling stories in a new universe, where none of this stuff has happened yet. That wouldnt even feel like a reboot to me, just a shift to a new, unexplored universe.

That i would be fine with... but no reboot.
  • Posted: May 26, 2014 5:44:20 pm
  • I was about to say that I am not fully against, but with two parameters:

- If it si a reboot make it full, as tex said. What I don't like in Batman, which is great otherwise is this stupid "evereything happened, but slightly different", like that stupid excuse for OMD.

- Give a proper end to the current universe.

If played well it can be cool. But it can also be a dissaster. I personally am against reboots, but the last decade the only solution worth exploring is maybe a full reboot. I don't even try to make sense out of Spider-Man.
    But be advised marvel will not do "exactly" what DC did. They will try something else, something that would look "marvel style" or whatever. However it would still be a total reboot, like what DC did.
  • Posted: May 27, 2014 1:51:47 am
  • One wonders if this will involve Kang. Perhaps they'll pick up on the plot thread where the Marvel Universe has been so muddied with people time traveling (Avengers I'm looking at you, a lot, Exiles too), dragging people out of parallel universes, etc, that the prime universe is now collapsing under the strain of trying to maintain the barriers against all of these other multiverses whose inhabitants have crossed over to this one -

Teen Tony, Dark Beast, Bishop, Two Gun Kid, etc, etc, etc. Seriously, HOW many characters in the current Marvel prime universe are actually from another time/dimension/alternate Earth? How many more have been dragged into this timeline but killed?

This actually ties into ideas that have long been a part of Dr. Strange's comics.

You could then do a logical plot here where the only way to save this universe is to try and return all the interlopers to their original times...except not all of them will want to go. When it's done, you can have The Living Tribunal or some other higher power re-set the timeline, removing the effects of all the interlopers. Of course, this means that you're also going to be able to take a 'cascade" approach to everything since, say, with the timeline staying pure, there is no need for Tony Stark to ever become a lackey for Kang, go off the deep end and start attacking other Avengers.

Last edited May 27, 2014 1:53:30 am
  • Posted: May 27, 2014 8:18:37 am
  • Perhaps one of the Illuminati goes off the deep end and collects all the gems to form the Infinity Gauntlet and presses the "Reset" button in order to fend off some major apocalyptic threat or to stop the time stream from imploding from all the holes they poked in it...

I agree with Matthewaos and Tex75455, they should do something like the Cataclysm event in the Ultimate Universe, but it should end with the 616 being destroyed. Just totally wipe the slate and start from scratch. Maybe then they could skip some of the more painfully bass-ackwards moments like One More Day or the insane number of deaths/rebirths.
    Look, the people you are after are the people you depend on: we set up your computers, we deliver your email, we connect your calls, we backup your files, we guard your networks while you sleep. Do not %@&# with us. - paraphrased from Fight Club

• Posted: May 27, 2014 12:23:04 pm
  • Don't get me started on the Illuminati concept from Marvel. It was a TERRIBLE idea for all sorts of reasons.

The Marvel Universe has a gazillion ways to reboot the whole thing:

Objects that could remake the universe:

The Infinity Gauntlet
    The Cosmic Cube
    The Twilight Sword

And I know there are others...

Beings that could remake the universe:

The Living Tribunal
    Eternity
    The Beyonder

And how many others?

I mean, seriously, there are SO many ways as a writer to just grab an insanely powerful something or other and start over...but if they're going to do it, I would hope they'd come up with something better or more original than that.

Personally, if I was the writer and was told that I had to re-boot the Marvel Universe, I'd start it with Dr. Strange noticing all the dimensional and time stream leakage from all the time travel and alternate universe interlopers. They'd realize they have to seal all the barriers, but that many of the barriers were so weak that they had to return the various people to their proper time streams. But not all of them would want to go. While all the fighting was going on, I'd slowly start merging things as more and more "interlopers" would pull through. It would end up kind of like Crisis on Infinite Earths (still the first and best re-boot, nearly the only good one really). At the end, the heroes would FAIL to save existence as it is and realize that they had no choice but to remake the universe with the Cosmic Cube and the Infinity Gauntlet. But who do you actually trust to re-make the universe?

I'd say it has to be Steve Rodgers. He commands more respect than anyone. Even the bad guys would trust him to play fair with them.

Oh, and when the new universe started I would (for obvious reasons) ban any time travel plots for at least five years. Personally, I can't stand time travel stories any way. They usually end up a logical mess and the "ways out" are just as messy.

Last edited May 27, 2014 12:24:45 pm
  • Posted: May 27, 2014 12:34:26 pm
  • Man, Cap always gets saddled with the huge responsibility of stuff like that. Give it to Spider-man (with great power comes great annoying people) who would still have a hint of Ock in his head, or for a laugh Deadpool could have a moment of lucidity. Maybe Squirrel Girl? Or maybe they reveal that the whole universe was just in Stan Lee's head and he gets amnesia...

Jokes aside, you are right that there are a ton of universe-altering objects or individuals. Maybe they would have to be combined or sacrificed in order to reboot. The Phoenix Force could combine with The Living Tribunal and bounce everything back to the start... I just think that if they pull something like this off it needs to be in a way that would "nullify" it so that it could not be used again.

• Posted: May 27, 2014 8:59:22 pm
  • If this is true, and there is a good possibility that it may not be, there are many ways that a full reboot will make me stop carrying:

If they start telling the same stories, only with modern art/writing, ala Heros Reborn or some parts of the Ultimate Universe. I mean ok, I don't have a problem with retelling an old story, but not just do this. Let the writers play and go whatever direction they want.

If half the current stories are cut in half. Unfortunatly some stuff might still get unanswered (like who FACADE was:twistedSmile, but it seems wierd that they are starting a new Spider-Man book, and Iron Man only to burn the house down in a year from now. Not to mention other stuff that have been unounced.

If they go the OMD way: Everything happened, only slightly different, so to please both long and short time readers. This is just a stupid way to bake the cake and eat it too, that it only creates more confusion and the books do not make sence EVEN MORE than they do now.

Also, I would prefer if they take their time with the stories. I mean don't just start as DC did, everyone is already in action. The way the Ultimate U did was cool, it started slow and it expanded.

And don't make the marvel cinematic universe canon. I mean don't just do everything like the movies. The movies should follow the source material, not the other way around.

So I'm ok (though I'll have to wait and see) with a complete reboot, as long as it provides closure, and starts something new, based on something I already like.

But as I said, this may prove pontless in the comming months, because it may as well be something else. Except if this is the only way to get rid of the 616 thing, which they don't like...Laughing
  • Posted: May 27, 2014 9:50:08 pm
  • Ender - Cap gets saddled with those types of responsibilities because he's the one guy that is universally respected, even by the villains. Spiderman has the moral compass to handle it but I don't know as he has the necessary respect to get people to go along with him being the guy who has to remake the universe.
  • Posted: June 13, 2014 10:15:42 am
  • MJWallwork said:
    One of the things I LIKED about the older universes was the sense of history and continuity. But then, in those days, people tended to settle into a title for a few years (or more). Now, people are on a title for a year, maybe two, then everything changes. No one seems to know what the history of the characters is...or even seems to care.

^ This is right on it. Comics today, because of the mess that's happen with continuity, should be expected to reboot every few year. It's the only way they can survive.
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: January 11, 2015 12:23:10 pm
  • Does anyone have any updated new about the reboot?
  • Posted: January 12, 2015 7:35:06 am
  • Maybe they'll put ASM back in order to align back with volume 1 so it can hit the 1000 mark. That wouldn't be a bad thing.
  • Posted: January 13, 2015 8:35:01 am
  • I read rumors of some form of a reboot happening in September.
  • Posted: January 13, 2015 8:51:33 am
  • I'm up for it if it does happen. I don't look forward to the mass amounts of variants that will most likely follow. They'll probably have a Ross sketch variant 1:500 of Parker clipping his toenails.
  • Posted: January 13, 2015 9:03:05 am
  • I have a feeling a reboot has something to do with the storyline going through the Avengers titles at this time...it's been counting down the months that it will all end, and I think it's at 4 months now.

• Posted: January 20, 2015 3:29:10 pm
  • This'll be the chance they need to end lesser series and expand on new projects. I hope it's not too catastrophic.
  • Posted: January 20, 2015 4:06:45 pm
  • I hope I'm not the only one who is both terrified and excited at what Marvel announced today.
  • Posted: January 20, 2015 4:42:46 pm
  • At this point can it really get any worse?
    As long as they don't start giving us new versions of storylines that have come before, the last thing I want to read is another version of the Kree/Skrull War or Days of Future Past...leave the original stories alone and come up with something new or get out of the buisness. I don't want a bunch of What If? titles either...Shame on you

Last edited January 20, 2015 4:55:37 pm

• Posted: January 20, 2015 4:57:02 pm
  • I'm sure it can go to in a gorgeously embroidered handbasket in a quick second, but I completely agree.
    I don't want recycled stories whatsoever. There's way too many possibilities for us to be doing that kind of thing.

Overall, I think this could be really interesting though, especially since New Avengers has been leading up to this point for a while now. I'm sort of excited, and I know I might be the only one with those sentiments. I've been hearing a lot of distasteful remarks about it.
    It is a really terrifying thought though, being such a big move, and the comparisons with DC.
  • Posted: January 25, 2015 4:56:51 pm
  • Im still holding out hope that it isnt a reboot. They have instead said they are replacing their worlds, which isnt technically a reboot.

Hoping they stick to that idea
  • Posted: January 26, 2015 12:31:49 am
  • That's what I was referring to. ^

I'm actually sort of excited to see how it works out. While still being apprehensive as this could be such a disaster. But I'm very open minded and adaptable.
    I actually watched the live press event and was like "WHAAAT" the whole time. I had to watch it over again to catch things I missed while I was trying to grasp other things being said. Lol.

Last edited January 26, 2015 12:33:02 am
  • Posted: January 26, 2015 9:13:14 pm
  • Still not necessarily a "reboot", even after reading that. Could be something else still. Im holding out hope.
  • Posted: January 26, 2015 10:51:56 pm
  • Not, it's not necessarily, but it's going to change the game up a lot from what they're saying. Which is fine I guess. I think it's neat.
    It's kinda cool.
  • Posted: January 27, 2015 7:02:56 am
  • I still think it's a review of what's been selling and what's not from the previous year(s). Then they can filter out the lesser and focus on the better titles.
  • Posted: January 27, 2015 4:20:12 pm
  • Im fine with changing everything, as long as it doesnt negate what came before.
  • Posted: January 27, 2015 4:42:38 pm
  • Well Alonso said "If we wanted to resurrect Gwen Stacy," he said with a smile, "this would be the place to do it."
    Also - "Once we hit Secret Wars #1, there is no Marvel Universe, Ultimate Universe, or any other. It's all Battleworld," Brevoort said.

Every creative team has known this was coming. We've had a line of demarcation in the sand. Get your most immediate business done by this point because we're going into Secret Wars and it's going to have an impact on everything,” Brevoort said.

So if this isn't wiping the slate clean I don't know what is.

Last edited January 27, 2015 4:48:39 pm

• Posted: January 27, 2015 8:06:28 pm
  • Canuck said:
    So if this isn't wiping the slate clean I don't know what is.

I could see it going either way. Marvel is really good at selling events as "everything changes" but in the end is all put back together. At most I think we'll see an ultimate/616 merger....but maybe I'll be surprised?
  • Posted: January 28, 2015 8:22:45 am
  • MARVEL'S "SECRET WARS" - NOT A DREAM, NOT A HOAX & DEFINITELY NOT A REBOOT

"Things will never be the same!"

"Heroes will live, heroes will die!"

"The end is coming!"

Whenever a major event hits the Big Two comic book universes, phrases like these are bandied about. Typically, they end up being more bluster than promise, but sometimes, these words should be taken seriously. With Marvel heading into "Secret Wars," all signs point to readers being on the cusp of the latter, as the publisher has outright promised an event that will change the foundations of the Marvel Universe.

Over the decades, fandom has become a bit gun shy when it comes to reality-altering events, the term "reboot" brandished for every major change in story direction or continuity. Ever since DC Comics' last reboot, 2011's New 52 launch, resulted in a great initial swell of sales success, fans have been predicting, anticipating and even fearing a Marvel reboot as well. Now, with "Secret Wars" set to fundamentally alter the Marvel and Ultimate Universes, fans are taking to the blogosphere debating the pros and cons of the upcoming reality shaking event. While some fans directly accuse Marvel of copying DC, others express ennui over what they view as yet another reboot by a major company. However, while "Secret Wars" is obviously a deck clearing of sorts, a way to shake up the status quo of a 75 year old narrative universe, it is categorically not a reboot.

Marvel Universe and Ultimate Universe Set to Combine in "Secret Wars"

To prove this assertion, let's first look at past events that were undeniably reboots. The DC Universe following the events of "Crisis on Infinite Earths" was a full-on reboot. The universal structure of the shared universe was completely altered, with all of DC's myriad Earths being amalgamated into one super-Earth containing all of DC's Golden Age heroes and the heroes the publisher purchased from companies like Fawcett, Quality and Charlton. They now all lived in one reality, and all the stories that took place before the "Crisis" were now expunged from history. Those tales of yesteryear were delegated to back issue bins and memory. When a fan read the first issue of John Byrne's "Man of Steel," or the first issue of Frank Miller's "Batman: Year One," those issues were the first adventures of these post-"Crisis" heroes. DC's icons were suddenly without the benefit or baggage of fifty years of history.

Read More here - http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=58812

• Posted: January 30, 2015 9:56:14 pm
  • I'm long past trying to decipher the hype of event comics. If Marvel reboots their universe I'll give a look to any comics that interest me, if they don't I'll keep reading what I'm already liking from them. But there have been way too many "Everything changes here!" events for me to care how they hype up this one.
  • Posted: January 31, 2015 8:19:46 pm
  • Thanks for the article, thats very much what im hoping for.

i should clarify my earlier comments,h owever. I would actually be totally ok with a reboot if they first finished the story of the marvel universe. That would actually be exciting to me .

Let me explain. What if marvel told all of its creators that it was going to fully end 616 in three years time. 616 would be over, its story done, completely. Afterwards they would completely restart a new universe, but one with no connection to the 616, and one that would never touch it, because the 616 would be done.

Then they told their writers to finishth e stories of these characters. Norman Osborn could get his final commuppace, and Peter could marry MJand have kids. Frank Castle could go out for good in a final blaze of glory (the only way his storyc an really end). Johnny blazze cank ick mephistos , with finality. Etc. Roxxon would be dismantled, the hand destroyed, etc. These stories could actually end, and heroes could ride off into the sunset.

Then we start completely fresh, no relation to what came before. We would never see that universe again.

That, I would actually be ok with.

Excuse typos, they are caused by all the adds9m y keyboard cant keep up with the typing), and I dont feel like correcting them.
  • Posted: February 1, 2015 12:21:20 pm
  • I'm fine with it if they actually do what you're saying, my worries are they pick and choose to keep some things and wipe out others completly.
    Another thing I'm worried about is writers start to rehash old stories puting there own spin on them to take a story in a direction that they like more than the originals...ala What If?
    Guess we'll have to wait and see.

• Posted: February 1, 2015 1:36:03 pm
  • Tex75455 said:
    Thanks for the article, thats very much what im hoping for.

i should clarify my earlier comments,h owever. I would actually be totally ok with a reboot if they first finished the story of the marvel universe. That would actually be exciting to me .

Let me explain. What if marvel told all of its creators that it was going to fully end 616 in three years time. 616 would be over, its story done, completely. Afterwards they would completely restart a new universe, but one with no connection to the 616, and one that would never touch it, because the 616 would be done.

Then they told their writers to finishth e stories of these characters. Norman Osborn could get his final commuppace, and Peter could marry MJand have kids. Frank Castle could go out for good in a final blaze of glory (the only way his storyc an really end). Johnny blazze cank ick mephistos , with finality. Etc. Roxxon would be dismantled, the hand destroyed, etc. These stories could actually end, and heroes could ride off into the sunset.

Then we start completely fresh, no relation to what came before. We would never see that universe again.

That, I would actually be ok with.

Excuse typos, they are caused by all the adds9m y keyboard cant keep up with the typing), and I dont feel like correcting them.

I could totally get behind this if I thought there was any chance at all of it actually happening. However, I don't think any reboot could make it happen. And there's not even a reason that a reboot would be necessary if they did want to allow stories to finish. Long-running TV series have the ability to keep fans interested while allowing character arcs to conclude. There are some comics that have done it successfully as well (e.g. Walking Dead, Hellboy). The constant resurrections/returns/resets in DC and Marvel are not the only way to have a long-term story universe, but that's what the Big Two give us.
  • Posted: February 1, 2015 4:36:37 pm
  • Canuck said:
    I'm fine with it if they actually do what you're saying, my worries are they pick and choose to keep some things and wipe out others completly.
    Another thing I'm worried about is writers start to rehash old stories puting there own spin on them to take a story in a direction that they like more than the originals...ala What If?
    Guess we'll have to wait and see.

agreed, these are my fears as well. THe way DC did it is basically my least favorite way to do anything
  • Posted: February 2, 2015 4:23:17 pm
  • BREVOORT LAYS OUT THE BATTLE PLANS FOR "SECRET WARS"

The Marvel Comics multiverse is a vast territory that covers not only the main Marvel Universe, where most of its well-known characters reside, but numerous other dimensions as well -- like the Ultimate Universe. Soon, though, it will be much, much smaller thanks to the mysterious "Incursion" phenomenon that has been smashing these myriad realities into each other and destroying them in the pages of "New Avengers." This May, the final Incursion will occur and all that will be left of the Multiverse will be one single patchwork style planet composed of Marvel's strangest territories.

That planet will be known as the "Battleworld" and it will be the site of Marvel's "Secret Wars" event, which will run through an eight issue mini-series by "Avengers" writer Jonathan Hickman and artist Esad Ribic as well as numerous tie-ins. We spoke with Marvel Executive Editor and Senior Vice President of Publishing Tom Brevoort about the stories that make up the event, their accessibility to a variety of readers and the nature of the mysterious Battleworld.

Read more here - http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=58961

46 posts • Page 1 of 5
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 186 days, 23 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Rebellion's 2000 AD: Christmas Mega Special Issue # 2362
  • DC Comics's Superman/Batman Issue # 20
  • Ab3 12c Ent.'s The Nefarious Smyths: Trouble in Tijuana TPB # 1b
  • New Heroes Comics's The Unconventionals Issue # 3