feature requests

Comic Book Death..... (Comic Book Forums)

• Comic Book Death.....

Author Discussion
  • Posted: June 6, 2013 4:39:06 pm
  • SPOILERS

I just thought it would be cool to have a topic where we talked about characters dying in comics because it seems to be happening a lot recently. It would cool to hear how people think on if it was done well, if they think it will last, or a fake out for them to be back next issue.
    Like recent deaths the past month or so in comics was:

Catwoman, shot in the head
    Peter Parker, erased from the thought process
    Nico, from Runaways- I didn't read the comic but I loved her and the Runaways and it's sad to see her gone

I'm sure there's other recent ones,
    Thoughts everyone???
  • Posted: June 6, 2013 8:55:43 pm
  • I think Parker will be back eventually... I'm really into Superior Spider Man right now, and I hope they keep Otto around as well. Plausible storyline -> The world is in danger from "x" and only Peter Parker can save it. Otto tries to grow a clone of Parker and teams up with one of the genius guys to find Parkers consciousness, telling him his secret. Whoever it is helps Otto and agrees not to tell anyone because of something heart wrenching. Peter returns and saves the day, setting up A vs S (Amazing vs Superior). He does not reclaim his old life and starts over. BOOM... 50 years of history retconned.

While we're on the subject, what are your thoughts on Avengers Arena?
  • Posted: June 6, 2013 9:39:53 pm
  • I want to read it , but haven't read an issue. Honestly when I read Nico was in it and died today made me want to read it a ton more. I really didn't know any Runaways were in the series.
  • Posted: June 6, 2013 9:57:47 pm
  • I definitely recommend picking it up, it's a good read. Hopeless is taking it seriously, even if the premise is kind of a ripoff, and the characters are well done. I've read that there are no plans to bring back the characters killed in it, but it's comics, so we'll see. I was an Avengers Academy fan, so it's a little disappointing seeing some of my favorite characters killed, but they are dying with dignity and quasi realism. Seeing Mettle (and eventually Hazmat) go sucks, but at least they didn't fade away.
  • Posted: June 7, 2013 2:03:51 pm
  • Did you see where they have photos released for the new spider-man movie and gwenn stacy's movie outfit, comparing it to the original death of gwenn stacy way back whenever? That's kind of cool. It's going to be awesome if they kill her off in the movie too, broke neck and everything. Not that I am morbid, but talk about sticking to the story line if that happens. Has there been a death that has mattered like that one, since that one?
  • Posted: June 7, 2013 2:33:24 pm
  • Nobody stays dead except Gwen Stacy and Uncle Ben.
  • Posted: June 7, 2013 5:15:59 pm
  • Yep, not even Bucky.
  • Posted: June 8, 2013 11:55:11 am
  • gwen is dead, but that's hard to hold, in the ultimate universe she came back to life, in the regular universe she had many clones and a daughter which looked exactly like her, for a year or so she had 2 cousins that were always around and even quesada tried so hard to have her come back. yes she's stayed dead but her as a character seems to pop up every so many years, so for me it's hard to think of her as an always dead character
  • Posted: June 11, 2013 7:01:33 pm
  • Blah!!! I should have paid attention to the spoilers.... i didnt know about Nico yet....

Avengers Arena is a great read, but I find it difficult to believe that the characters wont come back. Im still thinkin this is all a virtual reality thing, that all the kids are hooked into and in stasis. Remember, you saw the cord coming out of arcade a few issues ago.

Anyway, truly a good book, one of the unexpected top reads to come out of marvel now.
  • Posted: June 23, 2013 7:24:44 pm
  • About Avengers Arena, why is everyone saying she's dead? The final panel has her grabbing her staff and casting "Help" ..... why does that equal death?

Anyway, I agree there's no way they're all dead. I always figured this will end with a reveal that they're all in a VR environment and will be "changed forever" by what they experienced.
  • Posted: June 24, 2013 11:43:44 am
  • I still never read the issue, i did buy it though, but i just read in a few places online she died
  • Posted: September 16, 2013 9:48:29 pm
  • Damien Wayne!
  • Posted: September 19, 2013 3:18:56 pm
  • junobeach said:
    Nobody stays dead except Gwen Stacy and Uncle Ben.

And Captain Stacy
  • Posted: September 19, 2013 9:19:36 pm
  • Ben Reilly
  • Posted: September 20, 2013 1:48:30 pm
  • Yuccck said:
    Damien Wayne!

Given who his mother is, do we really think there won't be a Lazarus pit in his future?

I find it funny that the Marvel Ultimate universe has killed off some key characters like Cyclops and Wolverine. Of course, Wolverine's son has pretty much taken his place (not Daken, Jimmy Hudson).

I still expect Parker to make a return soon, very surprised that the Superior line lasted over a year.

And as for the "No one stays dead except..." line, remember that Jason Todd used to be on that list as well until DC decided that punching reality in the face could bring people back from the dead...
    Look, the people you are after are the people you depend on: we set up your computers, we deliver your email, we connect your calls, we backup your files, we guard your networks while you sleep. Do not %@&# with us. - paraphrased from Fight Club

• Posted: October 2, 2013 9:32:22 pm
  • ender2003 said:
    Yuccck said:
    Damien Wayne!

Given who his mother is, do we really think there won't be a Lazarus pit in his future?

I find it funny that the Marvel Ultimate universe has killed off some key characters like Cyclops and Wolverine. Of course, Wolverine's son has pretty much taken his place (not Daken, Jimmy Hudson).

I still expect Parker to make a return soon, very surprised that the Superior line lasted over a year.

And as for the "No one stays dead except..." line, remember that Jason Todd used to be on that list as well until DC decided that punching reality in the face could bring people back from the dead...

His mother didn't seem to care that Damien died.

Why are you surprised Superior lasted over a year? It's consistently in the top 10 books every month for volume sold.
  • Posted: October 3, 2013 7:17:38 am
  • It's because it's spider man that's why it's a top ten book. You figure this version is better than none at all
  • Posted: October 3, 2013 8:58:22 am
  • I'm surprised that Superior has lasted this long because it has seemed a bit weak to me. The gimmick of Otto taking over Peter's body was a little interesting at first, but it just got old pretty quick to me. I have missed the last few issues and am waiting until Pete comes back before I pick it up again.

Just bothered me that as different as he was acting, none of the Avengers or his close friends have cared enough to really figure out what is going on, besides the cop who started investigating recently (a couple issues ago?). Yes they have gotten suspicious, but come on. After he killed a guy they should have been all over that . This is Spiderman we are talking about, he's almost as morally centered as Superman. And Otto is taking a big steaming over all of that.

Sorry, just not my cup of tea...
    Look, the people you are after are the people you depend on: we set up your computers, we deliver your email, we connect your calls, we backup your files, we guard your networks while you sleep. Do not %@&# with us. - paraphrased from Fight Club

• Posted: October 8, 2013 8:59:35 am
  • Here are my best and worst comic book deaths...

Best:
    Elektra: my favourite of all time, especially good as it was genuinely shocking and followed by the best reaction to grief I've seen in a comic, where Matt goes nuts with denial.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_sopNa8uxaTA/TEXlI_t1vqI/AAAAAAAADPg/7hYxi9OeOU8/s400/Daredevil+-+182+-+She%27s+Alive+-+15.jpg

Also great: Kraven, Gwen Stacy, Lori Grimes, Joker in The dark knight returns, Abattoir, Sarah Gordon

Worst:
    Damian Wayne. He was the best introduction to the bat-family in ages, but I remain unconvinced he'll stay dead so I don't even mind that it happened: just slightl;y irritated. I thought batman inc was the best comic idea to be executed in such a sloppy way since civil war. I know I'm a rare bat-fan to say this, but it: kill Tim instead. I don't give a about him.

Also : KGBeast (because your code, eh Batman?), Bullseye (I hate Shadowlands), and Captain America (I felt it was a lazy way to end Civil war).
  • Posted: October 14, 2013 2:15:33 pm
  • The worst deaths for me are for characters you know 100% that they will won't remain dead, ie: Superman, Batman, Peter Parker...
  • Posted: October 15, 2013 3:58:06 am
  • wowbrow said:
    Here are my best and worst comic book deaths...
    Worst:
    Damian Wayne. He was the best introduction to the bat-family in ages, but I remain unconvinced he'll stay dead so I don't even mind that it happened: just slightl;y irritated. I thought batman inc was the best comic idea to be executed in such a sloppy way since civil war. I know I'm a rare bat-fan to say this, but it: kill Tim instead. I don't give a about him.

I agree. I really liked Damian, and I have a real strong gut feeling that he WILL be back sometime after they do the Elseworlds(?) story of Damien coming up in the DC issues...

Also, what do you guys think of Marvel bringing the awesome Mister Nightcrawler back?

Last edited October 15, 2013 3:58:59 am
    Some kitties aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some cats just want to watch the world burn.... Dum dum dummmm!!!
  • Posted: October 15, 2013 6:09:09 pm
  • junobeach said:
    The worst deaths for me are for characters you know 100% that they will won't remain dead, ie: Superman, Batman, Peter Parker...

From NYCC SSM Panel...

On a scale of Optimus Prime to Uncle Ben, how dead is Peter Parker? Slott said "Uncle Ben - he's dead. Also, I don't know Optimus Prime."
  • Posted: October 17, 2013 1:21:34 pm
  • Souldog29ca said:
    Also, what do you guys think of Marvel bringing the awesome Mister Nightcrawler back?

I think he should have never died in the first place....although he did have a pretty cool death Embarassed
  • Posted: January 9, 2014 12:06:42 pm
  • I don't know if anyone is reading Uncanny Avengers but they just offed 3 characters in that book.

Scarlet Witch
    Wonder Man
    Rogue

I thought it was really well done and I'm thoroughly enjoying the story. I know they will probably all be back soon but I expect that in super-hero comics.
    "You will soon see the distinct advantages of having no scruples whatsoever!" - Cobra Commander
  • Posted: January 9, 2014 12:12:30 pm
  • True, but pretty sure they will get brought back somehow. Scarlet Witch's powers or the fact that Wonder Man was already brought back once, something will bring them back. Maybe something with that "Spell" that SW was casting with WM's energy will have stored their essence somewhere that can be recovered by another mystic like Doc Strange.

As big of a focus as there has been on the Scarlet Witch ever since the "No More Mutants" bit I can't really seem them writing her out completely.

Last edited January 9, 2014 12:15:56 pm

• Posted: January 9, 2014 2:48:55 pm
  • Well, you can always be certain they'll bring SW back in time for the new Avengers movie. This apparently seems to be the case with the new Spider Man movie and Peter.
  • Posted: January 10, 2014 6:53:23 pm
  • of the three, i think rogue is the least indispensable right now. She just isnt a minor enough character that you can off her with little to no fanfare like that (although, now that i think about it, this is the only book shes in... dont know why i hadnt realized that prior to now)...

clearly this boook is on its way to some sort of time reversal or something.

Last edited January 10, 2014 6:53:46 pm
28 posts • Page 1 of 3
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 252 days, 5 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Image Comics's Something Epic Issue # 9d
  • Ultimate Marvel's Ultimate Spider-Man Issue # 80b
  • Ultimate Marvel's Ultimate Spider-Man Issue # 111b
  • National Board of Fire Underwriters's What Do You Know About Fire?: A Child's Guide to Fire Safety Issue nn